ADVERTISEMENT

Football Greg Schiano talks late signing period

GS: “As a head coach, roster management is a big responsibility. Sometimes it’s overlooked.”

You don’t say...

Reactions: Plum Street
GS: “We have to keep finding quality football players who love the game and have the character we’re looking for, because when you put all those guys together, the growth is exponential. It’s not one plus one, I can tell you that. We’re counting on the excitement from this state, and the state of Rutgers, and the incredible amount of hard work that’s about to happen going forward.”

Amen. We need synergy and tons of it. Plus enough electricity from the fanbase to outpower a nuclear powerplant if we’re going to achieve anything.

Last edited:
I know that the main limit is the total of 85 scholarship players.

However, is the annual limit of 25 just for new recruits? Can you exceed that when you count transfers in as long as you never go over 85, or is it a limit of 25 incoming regardless of how they come in?
I asked this last year and got a reasonable answer but still don’t buy it. Last year it was 25 max including transfers but i still think if guys transfer out they can be replaced. That’s just my gut feeling on what would make sense and by no means have I read the 3000 page rule book.

I asked this last year and got a reasonable answer but still don’t buy it. Last year it was 25 max including transfers but i still think if guys transfer out they can be replaced. That’s just my gut feeling on what would make sense and by no means have I read the 3000 page rule book.
I was just wondering because we are at 19 now and Schiano says he has several more in mind, and I don’t think it would be a surprise if a few more of the existing players enter the portal after they see how things shake out in spring practice.

GS: “As a head coach, roster management is a big responsibility. Sometimes it’s overlooked.”

You don’t say...

What gets overlooked sometimes is that the sidewalk outside the Hale Center goes in both directions. Schiano was pretty aggressive in processing players out of the program, the first time around. I would expect that tempo to increase a bit, this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT