ADVERTISEMENT

Handled Howard: Three takeaways from Rutgers football's season-opening victory over Bison

Good bit..

I wish RU opened against a team like UNC in 06.
A win in a game like that sets a tone.
Playing in an expected blowout that ends in a blowout is kind of like diet ice cream

Playing in an expected blowout that ends in a blowout is kind of like diet ice cream

Except I think it's key as it allows a new QB to mesh with the rest of the offense in game conditions. In 2006 Teel already had experience with that plus he had Ray Rice, Brian Leonard and Clark Harris along with a very experience offensive line.

Except I think it's key as it allows a new QB to mesh with the rest of the offense in game conditions. In 2006 Teel already had experience with that plus he had Ray Rice, Brian Leonard and Clark Harris along with a very experience offensive line.

I keep hearing/reading that AK knows the system well since he played under KC at Minn.
I dont want to play OSU or Michigan in week 1 but the Norfolks and Howards and Wagners are like watching girls get beat-up by gender dysphorics in Olympics lol. At least play a Buffalo like in the past.

Well.. do you think Minnesota is happy they opened vs UNC?

I do like the idea.. but you better WIN.

I like the idea because I think it would bring focus to preseason camp... and, in fact, the entire offseason.

But consider how a hard preseason camp may prepare the players but also create injuries. The SEC saves some cupcakes all-around for NOVEMBER.. before the last-game rivalry games and conference championship. This happened for TV reasons.. to have meaningful games for their TV contracts to use earlier in the season.

I dunno.. I am kind of happy.. given our injury list.. that we have a couple eminently-winnable games to start this year. This year.. that is just what we need.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker

And we nearly lost that game.

I keep hearing/reading that AK knows the system well since he played under KC at Minn.
I dont want to play OSU or Michigan in week 1 but the Norfolks and Howards and Wagners are like watching girls get beat-up by gender dysphorics in Olympics lol. At least play a Buffalo like in the past.

Please stop. Howard isn’t Wagner. Not even close. Make no mistake, they aren’t great, but they lost to NW 23-20 last season and won their division. Wagner is basically like playing a HS team. Howard is on par with most of the other BIG team and SEC team week one opponents.

If college football allowed a scrimmage I would agree with you. I think a game like this to open the season is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Kbee3
If college football allowed a scrimmage I would agree with you. I think a game like this to open the season is perfectly fine.

Don’t feed into it. He has an agenda - quite possibly is related to Gavin Wimsatt. It subtle but what he’s trying to do is put this game in a bucket with Wagner when the reality is it belongs in a grouping with Akron, Temple, etc. Howard would play close games against those teams. Buffalo too, by the way. They only won like 3 games last season I believe.

Reactions: gef21
If it was across the board power 5 playing power 5 great. If not I don’t see any problem playing teams like this.

If it was across the board power 5 playing power 5 great. If not I don’t see any problem playing teams like this.

It's a win-win across the board. We get an easy victory and a home game which fills our coffers. Our opponent gets a significant paycheck to help fund their athletic department.

Reactions: Tango Two
Please stop. Howard isn’t Wagner. Not even close. Make no mistake, they aren’t great, but they lost to NW 23-20 last season and won their division. Wagner is basically like playing a HS team. Howard is on par with most of the other BIG team and SEC team week one opponents.
This.
And Howard lost to #5 FCS team Florida A&M in their Bowl game by 4 points in the Mercedes Dome. They are better than all of the MEAC teams we played in the past. Much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT