ADVERTISEMENT

Harper surgery

As long as the timeline is accurate and it doesn't turn into something bigger it's probably for the best

Surprised and not surprised. Given all the issues he had with his knee during the season, I figured surgery might be possible. But I'm surprised he waited this long to get it.

Reactions: fatsam98
In all likelihood Harper is having a meniscus tear or clean out of his knee. 4-6 after that type surgery Is relatively to be on the safe side and give it time to heal and rehab properly. I don’t believe he just decided …. It was probably planned with his parents , doctors and Rutgers medical people. . He won’t miss anything beside a few weeks getting to know his fellow teammates.

Reactions: Wagram97
Is am I correct in assuming that since he had surgery  after arriving on campus, Rutgers insurance covers it?

Followup to my own question, since he was already on campus the Rutgers training staff would be in charge of and responsible for his rehabilitation, correct?

It's not like he had it on his own off campus so Rutgers wouldn't have jurisdiction (or similar concept).

Followup to my own question, since he was already on campus the Rutgers training staff would be in charge of and responsible for his rehabilitation, correct?

It's not like he had it on his own off campus so Rutgers wouldn't have jurisdiction (or similar concept).
I think RU brought back the medical team that advised and took care of Greg Echenique.

In all likelihood Harper is having a meniscus tear or clean out of his knee. 4-6 after that type surgery Is relatively to be on the safe side and give it time to heal and rehab properly. I don’t believe he just decided …. It was probably planned with his parents , doctors and Rutgers medical people. . He won’t miss anything beside a few weeks getting to know his fellow teammates.
Meniscus tear/partial meniscectomy lines up with the return dates. Can't think of any other type of surgery that would.

As someone who rehabs these types of things for a living. This is concerning. Maybe not so much for next year but for his future in the NBA. Much rather have a meniscus repair but depends where the tear is and the vascularity. Repair may not be indicated.

Lateral meniscus tear tend to have poorer prognosis than medial.

Arthroscopic meniscectomies tend to lead to early onset of arthritis. Getting one at 18 isn't ideal. NBA team doctors know this of course and it could effect his draft stock hypothetically.

Of course this is a lot of speculation.

Last edited:
This is not good news, no matter how you spin it.
Explain why? First you have no idea of th exact extent of the injury. The mere fact Dylan played post season tournaments and we never heard of any severe injury to the knee. Do you have any idea of how many basketball players have issues? This 4-6 week break away from camp gives him ample time to heal fully. I highly doubt this is a major knee injury.

Meniscus tear/partial meniscectomy lines up with the return dates. Can't think of any other type of surgery that would.

As someone who rehabs these types of things for a living. This is concerning. Maybe not so much for next year but for his future in the NBA. Much rather have a meniscus repair but depends where the tear is and the vascularity. Repair may not be indicated.

Lateral meniscus tear tend to have poorer prognosis than medial.

Arthroscopic meniscectomies tend to lead to early onset of arthritis. Getting one at 18 isn't ideal. NBA team doctors know this of course and it could effect his draft stock hypothetically.

Of course this is a lot of speculation.
Of course anytime you tear a knee it is expected that it will become arthritic over time. If you did a study most athletes have some form of arthritis before they leave the game. He will get the best of treatment and all the newest medical advice and meds available before you or I

It may have had nothing to do with it but elite HS players really need to start reconsidering their pre-college schedule.

So much travel and games for little benefit.
No reason Ace, Dylan and Flagg needed to play so much.
Obviously they want to play but the adults in the room need to keep them focused and on the priorities (long term professional career).

I’ve mentioned it before but read about how Wemby was handled in France.
The entire team schedule was set up around what he needed to do to be ready (stretching etc).

Reactions: satnom
It may have had nothing to do with it but elite HS players really need to start reconsidering their pre-college schedule.

Obviously they want to play but the adults in the room need to keep them focused and on the priorities (long term professional career).

The entire team schedule was set up around what he needed to do to be ready (stretching etc).
There are plenty of pros and cons to one and done players. To our fans this year is incredibly important, and no doubt Dylan and Ace are super competitive and will want to have the best year possible, but for both of them (and other obvious one and dones like Flagg), next years draft is the priority. Dylan made his mark and raised his stock in those all star games, and scouts were able to directly compare him to other top players they might consider drafting. I think everyone should be excited about the possibilities for next year and should have high expectations (you can bet Duke fans think Flagg will bring them to a championship), but a lot can happen, and these kids and their advisers will not put them at risk next year at the expense of their position in the draft.

Reactions: NickRU714

And btw, the Wembanyama situation was always very different. He was expected to be the #1 pick for a long time, and given his slight build and some of the challenges other players built like him have had, the focus was always for him to get through his last season in Europe healthy and not do anything to risk his draft status.

Reactions: NickRU714
Of course anytime you tear a knee it is expected that it will become arthritic over time. If you did a study most athletes have some form of arthritis before they leave the game. He will get the best of treatment and all the newest medical advice and meds available before you or I
That's just not true. Maybe some like Dwyane Wade who had a partial meniscectomy, by the end of his career his knee was probably arthritic. But most athletes are no more likely to get arthritis than the general population.

Studies show even if a meniscus is torn, long term it's best to leave the tear as it is because it could become asymptomatic over time. Menisci are sort of shock absorbers so hypothetically a torn one is better than shaving it off. Although not always as it can remain painful and become chronic. I would assume it's the latter with Dylan. It's a tough call especially with someone so young who has NBA prospects.

I would assume the doctors have weighed all of this when they made this decision of course.

Again major speculation here

Reactions: redking
That's just not true. Maybe some like Dwyane Wade who had a partial meniscectomy, by the end of his career his knee was probably arthritic. But most athletes are no more likely to get arthritis than the general population.

Studies show even if a meniscus is torn, long term it's best to leave the tear as it is because it could become asymptomatic over time. Menisci are sort of shock absorbers so hypothetically a torn one is better than shaving it off. Although not always as it can remain painful and become chronic. I would assume it's the latter with Dylan. It's a tough call especially with someone so young who has NBA prospects.

I would assume the doctors have weighed all of this when they made this decision of course.

Again major speculation here
It most certainly is true… if you have played sports there is a great chance you will show signs of osteoarthritis . Not going to argue . You are correct about a meniscus tear. Snipping leads to early onset of arthritis. Sorry maybe not swimmers or golf but those sports involving stress on the joint will almost guarantee it even if 20 years post career.

And btw, the Wembanyama situation was always very different. He was expected to be the #1 pick for a long time, and given his slight build and some of the challenges other players built like him have had, the focus was always for him to get through his last season in Europe healthy and not do anything to risk his draft status.

I would say the same for Flagg, Dylan and Ace starting with midway their junior years of HS.

The focus could have been to get through that last season in HS healthy and not do anything to risk his draft status.
Such as flying all over the world and playing multiple games back to back.

Ace committed in January of last year.
If they all took it “easy” their last year and half of HS, it would have no impact on their college or professional aspirations.

Were we pulling Dylan’s scholarship if he didn’t play extra basketball this year? HC Pike and staff were still undecided if he was a take or not?

I would say the same for Flagg, Dylan and Ace starting with midway their junior years of HS.

The focus could have been to get through that last season in HS healthy and not do anything to risk his draft status.
Such as flying all over the world and playing multiple games back to back.

Ace committed in January of last year.
If they all took it “easy” their last year and half of HS, it would have no impact on their college or professional aspirations.

Were we pulling Dylan’s scholarship if he didn’t play extra basketball this year? HC Pike and staff were still undecided if he was a take or not?
They are all fighting for the first three slots of the draft, and they will continue to fight through the season, unless they get hurt. Wemby was the consensus #1, he could have sat out his last year in Europe and would have still gone #1.

I always thought to myself, man, this kid is really playing ALOT for a senior year, especially since there was nothing to prove...he surely could have sat out and rested a couple of those tourneys. McDonalds is really the one that mattered most. But, getting it repaired now, he will be fine. He's got the best care and doctors in place I'm sure...don't stress.

I always thought to myself, man, this kid is really playing ALOT for a senior year, especially since there was nothing to prove...he surely could have sat out and rested a couple of those tourneys. McDonalds is really the one that mattered most. But, getting it repaired now, he will be fine. He's got the best care and doctors in place I'm sure...don't stress.
Sometimes it's very good to get away from a sport for a bit to let down & re-charge, though for an injury is certainly not the ideal reason to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBP
Glad he's getting it taken care of now instead of tweaking it during the season
My guess is that he tried to rest his injured knee at the end of the season. It probably didn’t get better, ergo the surgery. As you said better now then have a nagging injury during this coming season.

Just getting to this now...you should put yourself in time out for that thread subject line...lol.

It's been a few days and the "minor" nature of thus spread quickly...but holy crap I assume you gave a few people small heart attacks!!
Well you know, here on these boards the minor gets inflated to major, the major gets overblown to world-ending, and workd-ending leads to endless threads on gaps in stadiums for decades…😂

I had a torn meniscus in college and was back playing basketball in 2 months. And, my rehab only consisted of isometric exercises in my dorm room, lol.

Reactions: redking
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT