ADVERTISEMENT

Football Head Coach Greg Schiano Game Week Press Conference - Howard

Hard to tell. Maybe Greg is trying to dampen the noise and fan expectations of this being 2006 again. He beat the drum hard that Mo Toure is out best player.

Yeah he did. And he also emphasized how we’re going to have to gut it out and make sure we score one more than Howard. He better not actually be worried about Howard.

I hear you on Akron playing OSU, but still. They have a real D which makes it a legit game. Don’t get me wrong, I won’t expect Akron to be “good”, but obviously we don’t know who is hurt. Their defense will be able to stop a roster full of our second teamers in the trenches. If that’s what it is that game will be closer than folks want unfortunately.

Reactions: Knight Shift
While I agree GS is not as upbeat as he's sometimes been, it's impossible to know what's behind that. We can all guess, but who really knows. My guess would be we're mostly just seeing a bit of exhaustion 'cause the coaches are probably working ridiculous hours and are stressed by injuries to multiple starters and all the extra work that entails (obviously harder to prepare younger players than older ones).

From having observed GS over the years, I think we can also be fairly certain that he's deeply affected by empathy for Toure's situation. Hell, I'm affected and I've never even met the kid. Anybody who's played team sports and been injured in a way that means missing most or all of a season knows how unbelievably rotten it feels. Add to that the possibility that the injury could significantly affect Toure's post-RU football future, something you never really know for sure until after rehab, and it's just that much worse for the kid.

GS has always worked to lower fan expectations 'cause doing so is pretty much always a wise thing to do. And we all know he's a coach who employs an abundance of caution. I am not reading more into that then that.

So yeah, I think he's probably physically and emotionally exhausted. But I would guess that getting this first game played, getting lots of material/mistakes on film to work on with the younger players who wind up having to play due to injuries, will probably help alleviate some of his stress.

He'd previously said (following the Toure injury) that it's good we have the depth available and those young guys will see playing time. I do not doubt that is true here as well as in other position groups. This does give young talent the opportunity to get real in-game experience and he's got to know (much like, in every other year) it's good to get those young guys into games early. Depending on just how good that depth and that young talent is, some of those guys might surprise and be ready for a move up the depth chart.

If he really is down about anything, it would be a realization that we DON'T have that depth (or have that depth ready to play) - and, that would be on him and the coaching staff. We have more depth available now than ever before. I can't see how this is actually a concern, other than the unknown of "just how will they do when faced with real, in-game competition?".

He'd previously said (following the Toure injury) that it's good we have the depth available and those young guys will see playing time. I do not doubt that is true here as well as in other position groups. This does give young talent the opportunity to get real in-game experience and he's got to know (much like, in every other year) it's good to get those young guys into games early. Depending on just how good that depth and that young talent is, some of those guys might surprise and be ready for a move up the depth chart.

If he really is down about anything, it would be a realization that we DON'T have that depth (or have that depth ready to play) - and, that would be on him and the coaching staff. We have more depth available now than ever before. I can't see how this is actually a concern, other than the unknown of "just how will they do when faced with real, in-game competition?".
We don’t know for sure, but I sensed that it could be more about the OL than the D. Toure is a huge loss but it sounds like our OL could be pretty banged up too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT