ADVERTISEMENT

If Bolin Can't Stretch The Field, Does Lewis Come in?

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
I'm counting on RU putting up some #'s. Running the ball with Edwards, Martin, Blackshear....and what about Sneed, Snoreweh / Hicks?

As for WR....like to see Melton, Hayek, Mitchell(s), Wormley turn on the jets / haul in a few.

If Bolin is a possession QB ...with dink / dunk repertoire- does this open up the gates (not going to say the "F" word) for Lewis...or is he being saved for back up to Gio as needed?

MO

If Teams start stacking the Box and Bolin can't make the medium and long passes then Lewis should come in.

If Teams start stacking the Box and Bolin can't make the medium and long passes then Lewis should come in.

I don't like the "vanilla" approach to the first 3-6 games of the season. We should use what we're going to use to WIN games. Each formation should have several options, so that even though that's the look of the play that beat "X" state... we have other weapons to use with that formation. Then when they've seen at least 2 variations....you can either go back to the first, or use door #3!

MO

I don't like the "vanilla" approach to the first 3-6 games of the season. We should use what we're going to use to WIN games. Each formation should have several options, so that even though that's the look of the play that beat "X" state... we have other weapons to use with that formation. Then when they've seen at least 2 variations....you can either go back to the first, or use door #3!

MO

I think the vanilla approach is simply due to the "newness" of everything that Kill is doing, along with how much change has happened across the two deep.

Less than 8 months ago, Kill, Erb, Bolin, Lewis, Edwards, Mitchell, Melton, Wormsley, and Hayek weren't on campus. Washington and Blackshear were redshirting, and the rest were trying to learn and understand Doogie's system.

I think Kill is keeping things simpler in the early going to build some confidence in execution of the playbook, and will add more elements as the season progresses and the players show they can handle it. The complexity will come - I don't think there's any benefit from trying to get a brand new offensive unit to jump straight to mid-year complexity. Kill's done this before - he's not just pulling levers and hoping they do something useful, like our last OC.

I like the "muddle around, sub guys in" approach they take at the line, then it seems Bolin checks his options pre-snap. Plays might be a bit vanilla, but as has already been stated, this is a very new system and playbook. Washington was also fairly vanilla...no typical Petersen trickeration plays.

Can always count on Mo...

Seriously, you haven't got a clue....

I'm not knocking Kill- because I know that was part of the game plan. Remember the Schiano years....VANILLLA with VANILLA toppings!
I'd like to see us OPEN IT UP.

What the F' do you want... close games but no brass ring? If we play to win, we might take some chances that EXCITE the fan base, the TV viewers, alums and recruits.

And "YES" you can always count on me to support Rutgers. Did you read the OP? I'm questioning whether Lewis is being groomed for the remainder of the year under Bolin....and if so can HE stretch the field?

MO

Seriously, you haven't got a clue....

I'm not knocking Kill- because I know that was part of the game plan. Remember the Schiano years....VANILLLA with VANILLA toppings!
I'd like to see us OPEN IT UP.

What the F' do you want... close games but no brass ring? If we play to win, we might take some chances that EXCITE the fan base, the TV viewers, alums and recruits.

And "YES" you can always count on me to support Rutgers. Did you read the OP? I'm questioning whether Lewis is being groomed for the remainder of the year under Bolin....and if so can HE stretch the field?

MO
Answer my post above, please.

I think the vanilla approach is simply due to the "newness" of everything that Kill is doing, along with how much change has happened across the two deep.Less than 8 months ago, Kill, Erb, Bolin, Lewis, Edwards, Mitchell, Melton, Wormsley, and Hayek weren't on campus. Washington and Blackshear were redshirting, and the rest were trying to learn and understand Doogie's system.I think Kill is keeping things simpler in the early going to build some confidence in execution of the playbook, and will add more elements as the season progresses
and the players show they can handle it. The complexity will come - I don't think there's any benefit from trying to get a brand new offensive unit to jump straight to mid-year complexity. Kill's done this before - he's not just pulling levers and hoping they do something useful, like our last OC.

Choppin, I think you hit the nail on the head. The offense will evolve as the season progresses and, to the OP's original question, yes, Lewis will be more involved as the year goes on. I think Ash knows Lewis is the heir apparent and wants him to he an experienced QB when next year begins.

Answer my post above, please.

Knight Shift

I watched the clips...and Bolin seems like the real deal. I'm only quoting what I've read on this board and the TV announcers / my own observation that we didn't throw a pass over 20-30 yards.

Anyway, Bolin has talent and we're damn lucky we have him.

Can't remember the name of the WR in the first clip...who caught over 180 yards...but we need Melton, Hayek, Wormley ....someone with speed / ability to make the play to step up / help Bolin.

Still wondering if Bolin get's hurt or can't get the separation he needs for the long pass if Lewis is warming up (if only for a few plays...here / there to throw the D off- and prepare for next year).

Thanks

MO

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not only that. Most of the TV games this weekend featured QBs with enough mobility to keep defenses honest. Haven't seen that from Bolin so far. Maybe it's an injury thing that the CS doesn't want to happen more than the game plan. It could open up the offense enough to provide a new wrinkle.

MO
I didn't realize they published the game plans for the next 5 games?

Reactions: PaKnight
I doubt there is a D1 QB who cannot throw the ball 50 yards or more.. the question is.. how quickly does the ball get there. So.. technically, we can throw 40 yards downfield.. even if the QB has a "weak" arm.. we can stretch the field.. we just need to be smart about it.

We need to do things to convince defenses to play man occasionally without safety help. We need to throw those passes when the safeties are cheating up in run support.. IE.. we are in running situations. And we need to practice long timing routes.. throw it where only our WR has a shot at it... on the raged edge of being too far for him. It cannot be underthrown and cannot be a jump ball with the WR and CB waiting on it.

If we have good enough protection.. it could be a TE or RB with LB coverage and everyone else short or on the other side of the field... the trick will always be getting the safeties to commit to something else.. a play fake.. a shorter receiver... because a weak arm throwing deep being read by a safety sitting back is always an INT.

You can throw deep and stretch the field even with a weak armed QB.. just be really really smart about it.

Not only that. Most of the TV games this weekend featured QBs with enough mobility to keep defenses honest. Haven't seen that from Bolin so far. Maybe it's an injury thing that the CS doesn't want to happen more than the game plan. It could open up the offense enough to provide a new wrinkle.

IMO If Bolin could roll out and either throw a short pass or run it for positive yards.. it would have opened up the running / passing game.

MO

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Bolin is one and done. He is the bridge to Lewis (big surprise). As a grad transfer he is it what he is. We're not developing a QB here. Kill is going to have him do what he does best that gives us every chance to win. I have an immense amount of confidence in Kill making the right decisions.......until he makes a wrong one of course.

Knight Shift

I watched the clips...and Bolin seems like the real deal. I'm only quoting what I've read on this board and the TV announcers / my own observation that we didn't throw a pass over 20-30 yards.

Anyway, Bolin has talent and we're damn lucky we have him.

Can't remember the name of the WR in the first clip...who caught over 180 yards...but we need Melton, Hayek, Wormley ....someone with speed / ability to make the play to step up / help Bolin.

Still wondering if Bolin get's hurt or can't get the separation he needs for the long pass if Lewis is warming up (if only for a few plays...here / there to throw the D off- and prepare for next year).

Thanks

MO
This is the number one problem with this board. A few yahoos decide Bolin doesn't have good arm strength so then a dozen or so more start their own threads and soon we have a board full of clueless posters thinking it is fact. Why would you start this thread and then admit you are basing it on this board?

He threw one medium range pass at the end that had a whole lot of zip on it to DuWop. His short passes were all thrown well. The long TD was out where we wanted it. Take away the two picks and he gets an A. One was a bad decision and one was a nice play by them.

Let's see what happens this week.

Reactions: newell138
This is the number one problem with this board. A few yahoos decide Bolin doesn't have good arm strength so then a dozen or so more start their own threads and soon we have a board full of clueless posters thinking it is fact. Why would you start this thread and then admit you are basing it on this board?

He threw one medium range pass at the end that had a whole lot of zip on it to DuWop. His short passes were all thrown well. The long TD was out where we wanted it. Take away the two picks and he gets an A. One was a bad decision and one was a nice play by them.

Let's see what happens this week.

Don't you understand? The board experts know more than the coaches, and jump to firm conclusions on a player's attributes like arm strength. These conclusion are more valuable than the game plan of the coaches.
Here's what Kill said after film study:
"After watching film and looking at what we did, I thought we offensively tried to do everything that we could to win the game. We wanted to hold onto the ball possession-wise through the short passing game and running the ball. I thought we had a good mix. I don’t know what it was. 78 snaps to their 54. Something like that."

We are so screwed. . . .

Yeah it took me two drives to figure out what our game plan was yet some can't see it even after reading the post game interview by Kill. We wanted their Offense on the sidelines. When they got on a roll they were tough to handle.

We also wanted them to have to drive the length of the field and not take over at midfield which is why we opted to punt on 4th and 1 twice. I personally would have liked to go for it once at least but the game plan was sound.

Reactions: newell138 and KevH

MO
We only played one game, and that was against a very, very good defense.

I don't understand where the idea that Bolin can't stretch the field comes from.

We took what Washington gave us Saturday night. They were in a two deep a lot of the game so we took the dink and dunk underneath. Washington was pretty confident in their front 7 and didn't feel they needed to stuff the box.

Yeah it took me two drives to figure out what our game plan was yet some can't see it even after reading the post game interview by Kill. We wanted their Offense on the sidelines. When they got on a roll they were tough to handle.

We also wanted them to have to drive the length of the field and not take over at midfield which is why we opted to punt on 4th and 1 twice. I personally would have liked to go for it once at least but the game plan was sound.

Yup. We may not agree with every decision, but it's soooooo good to have an OC who knows what he's doing and has years of experience to call upon.

Keep in mind that Kill was a successful HC. Ash is still learning how to be one. I am hoping he really values Kill's opinions and let's him have a free hand with the O.
I want to see this year's program become one that is considered "dangerous". We may not win many games, but let's start getting some respect for a change.

Why wouldn't Gio come in if Bolin comes out? He is here 4 years, has experience and looked good when healthy. I haven't seen Lewis play but he better be much better than Gio if he is the #2 QB. For next year we really want Gio and Lewis as 1 & 2, or 2 &1. Next year Gio can grad transfer and Dare was the only QB from 2015, Oden was the only qb from 2016. If Gio leaves next year we have Lewis and two true freshman qb's that are not highly rated and some other lightly rated transfers. RU will have to go the grad transfer route again if Gio leaves.

Why wouldn't Gio come in if Bolin comes out? He is here 4 years, has experience and looked good when healthy. I haven't seen Lewis play but he better be much better than Gio if he is the #2 QB. For next year we really want Gio and Lewis as 1 & 2, or 2 &1. Next year Gio can grad transfer and Dare was the only QB from 2015, Oden was the only qb from 2016. If Gio leaves next year we have Lewis and two true freshman qb's that are not highly rated and some other lightly rated transfers. RU will have to go the grad transfer route again if Gio leaves.

If Bolin had gotten hurt early in the game Gio probably would have been the first one in the game. If we were down more late in the game, Lewis would have been the guy in the game.

I thought bringing Gio in as change of pace (vs. Grant in the wildcat) would have been a good move. A little QB run/pass option would have been nice to see.Just to mix it up. Not Grant.

I know this is a hard concept for some to grasp, but after last season there was exactly 0.00% indication that we could hang with Washington, and the game plan was to not lose 78-0 and give us a chance to pull the massive upset if we executed. Well we didn't execute (gave up a non-offensive TD, threw 2 picks, forced 0 turnovers, got trapped on the 1 twice), and so we didn't win. But the plan was great. And next week's game plan will be much different I am sure. Just watch and be happy that the games this season will be much better than last

Compared to last year Bolin looked like Joe Namath. Cut me a break with the dam criticism. Next week he'll look even better.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Bolin has a more than adequate P5 arm. He threw a 20 yard out from the far hash. That's all you needed to see to put any other talk to rest.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT