ADVERTISEMENT

If Gleeson is let go at season’s end: potential coaching moves

Ru7580

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2021
I think another poster pointed out that the BC staff is unlikely to be retained, but if Hadley does manage to survive this season, I think it’s possible we’ll see some of their assistant coaches looking to jump ship with what I would imagine to be a “prove it” year in 2023. We saw it with Ash- any assistant who had the opportunity to make even a lateral move left because they knew he was a dead man walking after the first couple games of year 3.

Two guys of interest on that BC staff- Savon Huggins and Steve Shimko.

Huggins has proven to be a pretty good recruiter thus far. And Shimko, now a QB coach for BC, has built up a nice CV since starting his coaching career under Schiano in his last year at RU the first time around.

If Gleeson is let go at the end of the season, I would imagine Aurich is gone too, since he’s someone who came over with Gleeson (He’s also been a somewhat average recruiter thus far, with guys like Augie and previously Fran being responsible for the current young talent we have in the OL (Aurich’s previous spot) and RB rooms).

Huggins could certainly handle the RB coach spot left open by Aurich’s departure. Where Shimko would fit is less easy to figure out. I don’t think he’s ready to be an OC, despite having been one at a major junior college for a few years, and as currently constituted, we don’t have spots for a new OC and QB coach.

Is it possible Greg finds a soft landing spot for Nunz, who to my eye at least, has been invisible on the recruiting trail and leading a room that’s regressed in the TEs? Worth noting Shimko was BC’s TE coach for the two seasons prior to this one.

Would be curious to hear from the mods what the general sentiment regarding Huggins and Shimko is in coaching circles. Is either looked at as a rising star? What are their perceived strengths, i.e. do they have potential as stud recruiters, good Xs and Os?

Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.