ADVERTISEMENT

If we are going to play fast ...we must make the extra pass

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
...I think that was the “elephant in the room” that we aren’t talking about from last night

I felt there were 8-10 times last night that we got a decent shot playing fast that with some more court savvy, “a bit more we and a bit less me”, we could have got a good to great look ...instead of settling for that solid shot

If we are going to play fast ...we got to find that open man and get the very good shot out of it...otherwise, what rhe point of rushing it up to take a decent shot . You push to get better looks....not just more looks

Something to watch the next couple of games ...

It’s practice and a mindset.
If your don’t have a team mentality to push the pace then you’re probably not going to be comfortable in those situations and make a quick and decisive decision.

Are we a team that wants to push the pace consistently?
Maybe we are looking to move that way? It would probably be a huge benefit.

Under Pike here is our possessions per game rankings out of 353 teams:
16-17: 272 (69.5)
17-18: 295 (68.8)
18-19: 224 (70.2)

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game?date=2019-04-09

There were times we made the extra pass and got off a sloppy shot too. It’s not always the best solution. But I do agree there were a handful we should have pulled out and reset. They were packing it in on us and we have better athletes so playing in transition was not a bad strategy. Execution was the issue.

I see Phil being his usual self over on this board too. Young was brought here to score points. But I am sure they will watch film and he will see he was too revved up. This kid is going to help us a lot. The reason he and Baker has to play so many minutes is because nobody else could cover the smaller quicker guards on Bryant.

...I think that was the “elephant in the room” that we aren’t talking about from last night

I felt there were 8-10 times last night that we got a decent shot playing fast that with some more court savvy, “a bit more we and a bit less me”, we could have got a good to great look ...instead of settling for that solid shot

If we are going to play fast ...we got to find that open man and get the very good shot out of it...otherwise, what rhe point of rushing it up to take a decent shot . You push to get better looks....not just more looks

Something to watch the next couple of games ...
I think the passing today with 22 assists was what you were hoping for and a number of them off of playing real fast with alley oop passes to Harper.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT