ADVERTISEMENT

Illini grab a big dude

What is going on at Illinois? Maybe my theory/thinking about lower tier recruiting is a little wrong. Yes they are more attractive than us, but not by a ton I'd think....

Is it momentum?
Is there something funny going on?
What are their facilties like?
Fanbase?
Is their campus nice?

Could be they have folks on their staff who are ace recruiters? Could sell ice to Eskimos. Assistant Orlando Antigua worked for Calipari and might know a thing or three about recruiting. And coached the Dominican Republic national team, not too far from Jamaica.

Reactions: ruready07
Illinois has nice facilities------some history but not much.

Campus is OK but out there. Champaign-Urbana area is your typical Midwest college town.

They have never been overly successful recruiting Chicago .

Similarities to RU in that it's not a state university that the residents of the state identify with.

There's as many Michigan and ND fans in Chicago as people who root for the Illini.

Illinois been struggling lately but I’d argue that 12th all time in winning pct and 15th all time in D1 wins is more than “some” history.

5 Final Fours and 9 Elite Eights with the latest Final Four being 14 years ago. Underwood is beginning to get them back to where there were when Henson and his “Lou Doo” were there.

Been hearing Orlando Antigua is quite the recruiter and responsible for a lot of the recent high-profile recruits.

I remember way back, Antigua almost went to RU to play ball until Pitt snatched him away. Antigua has an interesting history including playing basketball with a bullet lodged in his head and his stint with the Harlem Globetrotters.

Last edited:
Good coach, high energy, great facility. We are getting there but the RAC is still very outdated and call me crazy, but if I was a recruit pulling up to that building as a first impression, it’s an immediate eyesore. Take a look at the practice center and forget the RAC and I’m happy. Meet the coach, tour the campus, look at the improvement under Pikiell and I’m happy. But look at RAC too long and all of sudden I’m still not sure or “waiting for other offers”!

If you’re not tearing it down for complete rebuild, this is not rocket science. It’s not free but it will take an old dump and make it look like a brand new building. It’s very much worth the investment and will yield better players imo.

1. Put a front concourse and facade similar to what pernetti had originally drawn up. Inside, you’ll have a professional looking box office and a real store that sells Rutgers merchandise. This bumps out the front of the RAC with a grand entrance. Nice landscaping and pavers and you’ll forget it’s just the RAC.

2. New roof and outside that looks the same as the new building just built. It’s Modern and clean looking. Kids think about what their friends and family think about their decision to come to Rutgers. Is it everything to have what I’m asking....no it’s not! But I’m convinced that it’s somehow one small negative that works against us in a kids mind. In any case, it certainly does not help.

3. You want beef up the inside? Matching red and black seats and redo the hallway floors with some type of nice tiling.

Maybe you all disagree and think this stuff is petty but i don’t. The minute I see the RAC as I’m parking for a game, I cringe.

Reactions: RURM85
Illinois been struggling lately but I’d argue that 12th all time in winning pct and 15th all time in D1 wins is more than “some” history.

5 Final Fours and 9 Elite Eights with the latest Final Four being 14 years ago. Underwood is beginning to get them back to where there were when Henson and his “Lou Doo” were there.

Been hearing Orlando Antigua is quite the recruiter and responsible for a lot of the recent high-profile recruits.

I remember way back, Antigua almost went to RU to play ball until Pitt snatched him away. Antigua has an interesting history including playing basketball with a bullet lodged in his head and his stint with the Harlem Globetrotters.

What's their history in the last 10 years ?

Good coach, high energy, great facility. We are getting there but the RAC is still very outdated and call me crazy, but if I was a recruit pulling up to that building as a first impression, it’s an immediate eyesore. Take a look at the practice center and forget the RAC and I’m happy. Meet the coach, tour the campus, look at the improvement under Pikiell and I’m happy. But look at RAC too long and all of sudden I’m still not sure or “waiting for other offers”!

If you’re not tearing it down for complete rebuild, this is not rocket science. It’s not free but it will take an old dump and make it look like a brand new building. It’s very much worth the investment and will yield better players imo.

1. Put a front concourse and facade similar to what pernetti had originally drawn up. Inside, you’ll have a professional looking box office and a real store that sells Rutgers merchandise. This bumps out the front of the RAC with a grand entrance. Nice landscaping and pavers and you’ll forget it’s just the RAC.

2. New roof and outside that looks the same as the new building just built. It’s Modern and clean looking. Kids think about what their friends and family think about their decision to come to Rutgers. Is it everything to have what I’m asking....no it’s not! But I’m convinced that it’s somehow one small negative that works against us in a kids mind. In any case, it certainly does not help.

3. You want beef up the inside? Matching red and black seats and redo the hallway floors with some type of nice tiling.

Maybe you all disagree and think this stuff is petty but i don’t. The minute I see the RAC as I’m parking for a game, I cringe.

Nobody (in basketball worlds) believes the exterior of a building has any impact. Could it be better...sure, but spending money on a building that most people visit during colder, winter months, is folly.

The items that people complained about a few years ago on the lack of a sound system or lack of air conditioning, concourses, changing the distance for the student sections are valid.

Ask a media member making 100K to 3 to 5M a year about the sweatshop, low ceiling and non airconditioned areas where they have to call or announce a game at Duke and Cameron Indoor stadium....

Reactions: TRU2RU
If you don't believe in the theory/concept of 1st impression than the outside of the building doesn't matter.

I am not advocated Rutgers spending any real money to improve the outside of the RAC.

There are a lot of little things that can go in to how a recruit views the college. The weather the day of a visit can have an impact. Visit a college on a 40 degree rainy day and see how someone likes a college or university.

Reactions: littlenis5
Antigua must be a good recruiter but getting USF on NCAA violations is not good. His brother who coached Delgado on the Dominican Republic team was the assistant who got Delgado to go to SHU. He left SHU and became a coach for his brother at USF. With this big guy going to Illinois Giorgio might move over to PF. They obviously have talent but I would worry about Antigua as my assistant and top recruiter.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
The point is that we are going after Top 150 rated players. Look at the offer list now for Hall; forgetting that a UNC or Duke could step in as well. Kansas is on the list.

We haven't been to the NCAA tourney since 1991 and the NIT has also had quite a drought. That means everything matters for Rutgers; that might not mean as much elsewhere. The exterior of the RAC is an example of how badly the program has been ignored and underfunded for years. It's the first impression and I don't care is the sun is shining or it's pouring and 20 degrees. My biggest fault is maybe I care too much. I simply want to have a shot to get as many of these Top 150 kids as possible. It's just a suggestion man.

Reactions: sct1111 and RUJMM78
If there was an allocation of a need with only 2 factors....practice facility and RAC exterior I'd go with 98% - 2%.

It isn't 0%, but it ts relatively insignificant.

Practice facility is a game changer, it doesn't level the playing field. It allows us entry to the playing field.

Antigua could be an excellent assistant and recruiter. Is Illinois recruiting and roster building good? Looks like it to me. The idea that everyone’s resume must be pristine is nonsense. Just ask the NCAA.

The point is that we are going after Top 150 rated players. Look at the offer list now for Hall; forgetting that a UNC or Duke could step in as well. Kansas is on the list.

We haven't been to the NCAA tourney since 1991 and the NIT has also had quite a drought. That means everything matters for Rutgers; that might not mean as much elsewhere. The exterior of the RAC is an example of how badly the program has been ignored and underfunded for years. It's the first impression and I don't care is the sun is shining or it's pouring and 20 degrees. My biggest fault is maybe I care too much. I simply want to have a shot to get as many of these Top 150 kids as possible. It's just a suggestion man.

When Pike took over there was a long list of upgrades needed and a finite amount of money in the Athletic Department. The upgrades to the RAC that are cosmetic in nature is not the most important on that list. Eventually the budget will catch up but there are more important areas ro spend money in.

I share your viewpoint but doubt that any meaningful exterior RAC improvements will occur until 2025 at the earliest.It took State funding to get the practice facility started after years of discussion and inertia.The exterior appearance of the RAC is pathetic showing lack of attention but its reality and not likely to change unless some big donors express interest.

I share your viewpoint but doubt that any meaningful exterior RAC improvements will occur until 2025 at the earliest.It took State funding to get the practice facility started after years of discussion and inertia.The exterior appearance of the RAC is pathetic showing lack of attention but its reality and not likely to change unless some big donors express interest.
I don’t disagree. I think it’s terrible because it’s right next to the brand new building. I’m really surprised they couldn’t work out the naming rights into a deal to raise the money for the makeover. Go to a Horizon and maybe naming it the Horizon Court at the RAC and have them fund it. This has to be in the $8- $10 mill range and that’s probably highballing?

Their star frosh center played hs ball up the highway. RU "didn't have a ship" but Underwood saw him play once (?) and bingo.

What building, ace recruiter, prior history played into that?

Reactions: kcg88
I don’t disagree. I think it’s terrible because it’s right next to the brand new building. I’m really surprised they couldn’t work out the naming rights into a deal to raise the money for the makeover. Go to a Horizon and maybe naming it the Horizon Court at the RAC and have them fund it. This has to be in the $8- $10 mill range and that’s probably highballing?

HPSS was 10 yr 6.5 million in 2011.

I’d think RAC would get no more than 1/4 of that

Anyone who thinks what the outside of a building looks like, has any impact on a recruits decision has no clue about the reality of recruiting.

And all along I thought it was the blackish dirt on the outside of the RAC. Who knew??

What is going on at Illinois? Maybe my theory/thinking about lower tier recruiting is a little wrong. Yes they are more attractive than us, but not by a ton I'd think....

Is it momentum?
Is there something funny going on?
What are their facilties like?
Fanbase?
Is their campus nice?

Their history and pedigree blows ours away despite recent struggles. They are poised and positioned for their resurgence

I like the building too. I would have no problem with the above mentioned plan of redoing the outside by adding kind of an exoskeleton housing new ticket office, concessions, etc. Maybe then the interior could be redone in a way that would expand seating without compromising acoustics.

I can't imagine that a nice arena doesn't have any impact. When we toured the UConn campus with my son and daughter they were both blown away by an empty Gampel Pavilion. That has to have some impact, just as the dreariness of the RAC would also. I say this as a huge RU fan, understanding that there are many other issues in play for recruited athletes (see M. Mathis).

Ask Pikiell if he would mind the RAC being power washed or painted. I doubt he would say no.

I'm sure he would be in favor of it being painted. Can't believe I am even answering this crazy discussion. You said that the outside of the building might influence whether a recruit comes here. I would say the recruits could care less. Yes it would be nice to have it looking better, but 99.99999% of the recruits could care less.

Best of Luck,
Groz

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT