ADVERTISEMENT

Is teaching students how to write still a Rutgers priority? It doesn't seem like it

Ummmmmm....................waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Many people know that so-called “contingent faculty” like me are seriously underpaid and lack benefits and job security.

So take the steps to become full time faculty elsewhere.

As I understand it, this downgrade of staff is at least partially the result of the recent union contract.

Now that we are earning near-living wages, we must have become too expensive, because our assignments are being reduced or eliminated (and not only in the Writing Program). It is no coincidence that we are losing our jobs right now before our job security gains kick in this coming fall.

Yup.

Sorry, I don't feel all that sorry for this guy.

I have several former colleagues and RU friends who act as adjuncts at various schools. They do this for a variety of reasons, none of which are job security or earning a living wage. That's what "adjunct" means.

What we don't know is will they require tenure track faculty to teach courses previously staffed by adjuncts.

What we don't know is will they require tenure track faculty to teach courses previously staffed by adjuncts.
Why not? I imagine time would be the only real constraint. How many courses or course hours does a typical non-adjunct faculty teach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT