ADVERTISEMENT

Is the shooter essential, or can we live without it?

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
I think others are starting to come around that we might not, in fact, get all the pieces we wanted when we started recruiting in the Portal. Either there's not enough NIL, portal targets want playing time, CURRENT recruits want playing time, etc. Playing with lottery picks doesn't really seem to be a factor here.

I wanted to focus specifically on the shooting piece. Yes, we all want the shooter - but the reality is that player may not go more than 15-20 minutes a game considering the players/recruits that are coming in. And the truth is, I like Dercack and Acuff, even though yes, there's not going to kill it from three point range.

BUT: we have Harper, Bailey and Martini who theoretically could be 35 to 40 percent from that range. There's a rumor that Sommerville shot 48 percent from deep this past year. Even Acuff actually shot close to 35 percent from there in 2022-2023.

Yes, in a perfect world the shooter who wants to play with two NBA lottery picks would come and play 15-20 minutes. But . . . and this is in contrast to my usual "Nervous Lou" personna . . . I think we could be average to a little above average this year in that department. And that would be exponentially better than year.

Still need the big, though - and I guess it's gotta be someone who's not as good as Lathan but could contribute a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News