ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball It's Official — new WBB head coach

Okay,.....It's done! Let's get the best players we can from the portal and get on with it. She's going to get us back amonst the top programs.

Rutgers hires Coquese Washington as women’s basketball coach, C. Vivian Stringer’s successor​

Updated: May. 23, 2022, 6:02 p.m. | Published: May. 23, 2022, 5:54 p.m.
Coquese

Coquese Washington, seen here coaching Penn State in 2018, is expected to be hired by Rutgers to become the third head women's basketball coach in program history. (AP Photo/John Beale)AP

By Brian Fonseca | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com and Patrick Lanni | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Rutgers is expected to name Notre Dame associate head coach Coquese Washington as its head women’s basketball coach to replace legend C. Vivian Stringer, who retired last month, people with knowledge of the hiring told NJ Advance Media on Monday.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I don't know what to say , except that I'm hoping for the best and that she has RU looking like these 3 years she was Penn St's HC

2011–12Penn State26–713–31stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13Penn State26–614–21stNCAA 2nd Round
2013–14Penn State24–813–3T–1stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
I don't think she finished strong at State Penn. Hopefully she used the time at ND to learn and evolve her coaching and recruiting to take advantage of a second opportunity in the B1G.

Coquese Washington - Women's Basketball Coach - Penn State University Athletics
Recruiting Premier Talent
The recruiting trail has always been a place of success for Washington, with the Lady Lions signing four top-25 recruiting classes - including three top-15 classes - since her arrival In Happy Valley. Her top-25 recruiting classes have included a pair of 14th-ranked classes (2009, 2013), one that sat at No. 15 (2015), a No. 18 class (2018), and one that came in 22nd nationally (2010).

Prior to Washington’s arrival, Penn State had only signed one McDonald’s All-American in program history, but the seasoned recruiter has brought six to campus in her 11 years as head coach. Candice Agee (2012), Brianna Banks (2011), De’Janae Boykin (2015), Maggie Lucas (2010), Sierra Moore (2012) and Dara Taylor (2009) have all donned the McDonald’s All-American uniform before matriculating to the University Park campus.

https://gopsusports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/coquese-washington/376

Hopefully, she can talk Sakima, Lasha, and Kierra Sanderlin into staying. That's job number one.

I think we'll be just fine if she can do that along with bringing in 1 or 2 solid players from the portal at point guard and power forward or center.

A week sooner and there were some really good ones still available.

When you have low expectations you can't be too disappointed. We needed to hire someone and we could have done worse. Had some good years at PSU but the last few were not good. Hopefully she really wants another shot because this is a major rebuild. Let's hope for the best.

This search landed with a thud
I actually think she is a pretty decent hire given the timing. Who were you expecting, Dawn Staley? Let's give her a chance. She has name recognition, a lot of coaching experience, knows the conference, rebuilt a program and played in the WNBA. We could have done a lot worse. I am happy to welcome Coquese to The Banks!

Last edited:
I actually think she is a pretty decent hire giving the timing. Who were you expecting, Dawn Staley? Let's give her a chance. She has name recognition, a lot of coaching experience, knows the conference, rebuilt a program and played in the WNBA. We could have done a lot worse. I am happy to welcome Coquese to The Banks!
I would have settled for any one of the top 10-15 names on our list ahead of her that we couldn't get to show an interest in the position

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Surprise selection .Hopefully,Washington hires assistant coaches that are great recruiters .Her tenure at Penn State showed early great success but at the end there was a downward spiral in performance.

This is frickng bad joke

A failure at Penn St

A horrific job by Hobbs and clearly a check box hire
Don't agree with your entire comment, but, this bad joke is not funny at all. At all. JMHO, so for those that want to disagree fine. Also, paid a search committee to boot. I have watched her coach at PSU, they dumped her.

We must remember.........She was at PSU for wbb. On top of that, I'm sure there was a negative effect on recruiting to an already tough place to recruit to, when you have a scandal like they did (JS/JPaterno).

Not exactly sure how it all fits in the timeline of her tenure.

Richie must have been drunk when he wrote the announcement article.
I would need two blue pencils for the editing it should have received.

Reactions: ScarletDave
How did she go from Big Ten Coach of the Year to five horrendous seasons? Hopefully Hobbs did his homewrok on this and got satisfactory answers. I find this hire very shaky. The only two women's basketball coaches Rutgers has had over the past 50 years are both in the Hall of Fame. And this is who we were able to get?

Reactions: Wolv RU
How did she go from Big Ten Coach of the Year to five horrendous seasons? Hopefully Hobbs did his homewrok on this and got satisfactory answers. I find this hire very shaky. The only two women's basketball coaches Rutgers has had over the past 50 years are both in the Hall of Fame. And this is who we were able to get?
My guess is she lived off of Renee Portland's roster and culture. If fell apart as time went on.

We must remember.........She was at PSU for wbb. On top of that, I'm sure there was a negative effect on recruiting to an already tough place to recruit to, when you have a scandal like they did (JS/JPaterno).

Not exactly sure how it all fits in the timeline of her tenure.

That had nothing to do with it..she crashed and burned

Her coaching record at PSU is...confusing.

Yes, she took over from a legend in Renee Portland, but Portland's last two years at the program they were under .500. So Coquese didn't inherit a winning roster.

Her first two years the program continued to struggle, but by year 3 she had them back in the WNIT, and year 4 in the NCAA second round. Four straight years PSU went either to second round of tournament or Sweet 16, including 3 B10 titles. It seemed like she more than righted the ship and PSU was back as a force.

Then somehow it all fell apart. The next 5 years had three losing records, a 16-16, and a 20 win season that got them in the WNIT.

TBH, i'm not sure what to make of this. She proved she could build a program back up, but also proved she wasn't able to sustain it over the long haul.

Maybe it will be different at RU. Her record as a head coach is mixed at best, but she brings a lot of experience, three B10 coach of the year honors, a WNBA pedigree, and previous evidence of recruiting success.

Is this the most exciting hire? No. But I think it's far from a "whiff," and hopefully she'll be able to get to work ASAP.

I would like to keep an open mind and see how this one ages. Let's see what things look like on Wednesday. If she is not on an LOA, we are doing better than Hobb's last time already

Reactions: toby83
My guess is she lived off of Renee Portland's roster and culture. If fell apart as time went on.
No she did not live off of Portland's culture. Portland discriminated against gay players. Coquese had to rebuild that program when she got there after Portland was sued by a former player. Maggie Lucas was probably the best player Coquese recruited and coached at PSU.

She won big ten coach of the year 3 years in a row. Hard to call that a failure. That’s actually very impressive. You can say she finished horribly for sure.
Her tenure at PSU is very odd - she didn’t just live off the prior coaches recruits - she hit her real success in yrs 4/5/6 with her kids. Then 2 years later starts to struggle? She had good recruiting classes in year 8 and 10 so doesn’t seem like talent dried up - what happened?

Don't think that was the case. She built her own roster and culture that she succeeded with. She just couldn't sustain it for some reason.
Washington won conference regular-season titles in three consecutive seasons (2012-2014) and reached four consecutive NCAA Tournaments from 2011-2014. The Lady Lions won at least one game in each of those postseason appearances, twice reaching the Sweet Sixteen. As she rebuilt the Penn State program, she was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year for the 2011-12 season.
She took over for Portland in 2007-8. By the time she finally had great success, Portland's players were long gone. And Portland had brought an end to her own culture with her stance on sexuality.
2011–12Penn State26–713–31stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13Penn State26–614–21stNCAA 2nd Round
2013–14Penn State24–813–3T–1stNCAA Sweet Sixteen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT