ADVERTISEMENT

Izzo Comments on Cancelled MN Game incl. Social Media Comments Directed at Pike

new jersey1

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005

Go to the 16 minute mark of his press conference ahead of their game with NEB.
Essentially says Steve and RU are not to be criticized as he has heard has circulated on social media. Says “it is what it is”… perhaps the league had no options.
Also interesting comments at beginning of press conference concerning their collapse v. Iowa.

There were plenty of other options for the Big Ten, other than requiring Rutgers to play a late game Sunday night in State College, drive back to NJ arriving early Monday morning, and then get on a plane Monday afternoon to fly out to Minnesota for a Tuesday game.

For example, Mich State could have moved their @Iowa game last Saturday and Minnesota could have moved their @Neb game last Saturday to Sunday afternoon, and MSU/Minn could have played Friday. It is a lot easier to ask Iowa and Neb to change the date of their home games, since there is no travel logistics they need to manage.

Or they could move this Sunday's Minn/Wisc game to Saturday, and MSU/Minn can play Monday.

Or they could have asked Rutgers to play @Minn on Wed (which is easier logistics than the Tuesday game that was requested), and Saturday's MSU @ OSU game could be moved to Sunday. Then MSU/Minn could play Friday.

Any of those options are logistically easier for the schools involved than the idiocy asked of Rutgers.

100% correct as they should have, and the Big Ten stood with us. So enough with the big 10 being against us; It’s complete bullshit.
Yes and no… the fact that they tried it and the MSU Garden game crap and OSU crap and even PSU stepping on the line, opening the season against Indy and Purdue back to back and 6 of 8 games away in February… when does it end?

Reactions: NJTurnpike
It’s the behind the scenes crap like the MSG game. So unfair to RU.

Don’t know why people complain about it - it was blast and can’t wait to do it next year. Was an awesome experience and essentially a home game with short bathroom lines and great concessions.

And I was definitely in no state to drive after the game and train - nice to cut loose a bit rather than limit myself to 1-2 at the RAC.

If there’s a concession, maybe let us pick the opponent so we can ensure our fans outnumber them (no Michigan or OSU). Felt about 50/50 at the Michigan game in 20…so wouldn’t want them.

If he was at ANY other program, I would root for him to succeed. From his press conferences he seems like a stand up guy. Gives credit, takes blame, calls it like he sees it.

Seems like he won’t be there much longer. Think some others have mentioned him being linked to the ND job.

Izzo is as classy as can be. Always has been a great ambassador for College BB and for the Big 10

Yet in another thread on the possible rescheduling issue, there were several posters being critical of Izzo

The man is dealing with a Mass shooting at his university 2 weeks ago and posters making unjustified criticism of him even more bizarre and very classless given the circumstances

Izzo is as classy as can be. Always has been a great ambassador for College BB and for the Big 10

Yet in another thread on the possible rescheduling issue, there were several posters being critical of Izzo

The man is dealing with a Mass shooting at his university 2 weeks ago and posters making unjustified criticism of him even more bizarre and very classless given the circumstances

In the middle of a wild finish to the season, no less.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
its going to **** them because its as close to an automatic win as you can get. That means a potential to be only 11-8 or 10-9
Yeah but he is still able to act like a pro even if deep down he is pissed off. He may be pissed at RU, he may be pissed at the BIG, he definitely should be pissed at the shooter. But he’s a pro and he’s saying all of the right things. He has great restraint.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
100%. Could never understand the vitriol spewed at Izzo from our posters.
I have heard fans of other programs dislike him as well. And it was based on his antics on court.. complaining about calls, etc... imho, he is just trying to get teh best treatment from the refs.

Now McCaffrey.. he wants the same thing and gets more than he deserves. Him wanting to use his size while staring down that ref who calmly stepped to him... douche move.. but maybe it motivated his players and the fans. I still think he's a douche..

..but Izzo.. not so much. I think I get his complaining nature... the refs are either not very good or are biased.. or corrupt.. some of these "mistakes" we have seen this year go well beyond bad angles to see what actually happened.

I will admit to being as wrong as I am right when I am sure TV showed the ref got something very wrong... but that still leaves a lot of mistakes.. many inexplicable.

Found this on youtube.. shows the part of the presser referred to in OP... I cannot believe some posters here (not sure they are fans) are talking us down for not wanting to go from road game to road game in 2 days.. with bad weather between PA and MN.

Yes and no… the fact that they tried it and the MSU Garden game crap and OSU crap and even PSU stepping on the line, opening the season against Indy and Purdue back to back and 6 of 8 games away in February… when does it end?
Don’t know why people complain about it - it was blast and can’t wait to do it next year. Was an awesome experience and essentially a home game with short bathroom lines and great concessions.

And I was definitely in no state to drive after the game and train - nice to cut loose a bit rather than limit myself to 1-2 at the RAC.

If there’s a concession, maybe let us pick the opponent so we can ensure our fans outnumber them (no Michigan or OSU). Felt about 50/50 at the Michigan game in 20…so wouldn’t want them.
He’ll be complaining about it 10 years from now. Trust me.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Yeah but he is still able to act like a pro even if deep down he is pissed off. He may be pissed at RU, he may be pissed at the BIG, he definitely should be pissed at the shooter. But he’s a pro and he’s saying all of the right things. He has great restraint.

It sounded more like he was venting. Pissed about the situation. Not much anyone could have done.

Coached himself a nice one yesterday.

Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT