ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Jeremiah Williams charged with tampering in Iowa Gambling Investigation

The NJ press will be all over this as if happened while he was here. Why the hell do we get involved with kids like this..when we knew this was a possibility.?
No they won't. The article clearly states it happened while in Iowa.

Reactions: Rokodesh
No they won't. The article clearly states it happened while in Iowa.
NJ Advance Media has reached out to the Rutgers men’s basketball officials for comment on the charges and Williams’ status. The charges raise serious questions about Williams’ transfer:

— Was Rutgers aware he was under investigation when they brought him on board?

— Before or after his transfer, did Rutgers ask Williams if he had any role in the betting scandal?

— If so, what was his answer?

NJ Advance Media has reached out to the Rutgers men’s basketball officials for comment on the charges and Williams’ status. The charges raise serious questions about Williams’ transfer:

— Was Rutgers aware he was under investigation when they brought him on board?

— Before or after his transfer, did Rutgers ask Williams if he had any role in the betting scandal?

— If so, what was his answer?
Are you of the opinion that the media should be a shill for Rutgers and not ask questions? You think they should just ignore it because it could make RU look bad?

He clearly wasn’t honest with Pike. I’m sure he asked if he had any involvement. If he said yes, he would hy have been here.
Have to imagine this is how it went down. Lying to your new coach isn't the ideal way to join a new team

I think the staff knew about this and wanted to make sure that he didn't bet on Iowa State games--which apparently he did not. A simple Iowa court search (which has been shared on several sites like Reddit) has shown for months that he was being investigated. I remember seeing a chart on Iowa St or Iowa site that SA who made bets under a certain amount that didn't include any bets on their college would face a 4 game suspension.

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TrialSimpFrame

Are you of the opinion that the media should be a shill for Rutgers and not ask questions? You think they should just ignore it because it could make RU look bad?
No, but they should ensure that they have all the facts before printing half of a story. Haha

• If a student-athlete wagers on their own sport at another school, education on sports wagering rules and prevention will be required as a condition of reinstatement, and the loss of 50% of one season of eligibility will be considered.
  • For all other wagering-related violations (e.g., wagering on professional sports), cumulative dollar value of the wagers will be taken into consideration with the following terms for reinstatement:
    • $200 or less: sports wagering rules and prevention education.
    • $201-$500: loss of 10% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
    • $501-$800: loss of 20% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
    • Greater than $800: loss of 30% of a season of eligibility, plus rules and prevention education.
For cumulative wagering activities that greatly exceed $800, NCAA reinstatement staff are directed to consider whether additional loss of eligibility, including permanent ineligibility, are appropriate.

Have to imagine this is how it went down. Lying to your new coach isn't the ideal way to join a new team

If you don't lie, he's not your new coach though.

Not justifying him but he left himself with little options.

Reactions: Scangg
He isn’t playing in 23-24 anyway, right? No immediate loss for RU BB.

If Pike was given the real story from the kid then keep him. If not then see ya.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The NJ.com story says he may have to sit out all of next year (24/25)? I mean if that's truly the case then he can't be taking up a scholly.

"The violation of NCAA bylaw 10.3 has varying degrees of punishment, according to the Division I Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement Guidelines. Per the documents, which were obtained by the Des Moines Register, cases involving an athlete who places “online sports bets not permitted by NCAA rules” start with a penalty of “charge a season, sit a season” – meaning the athlete must sit out the current season and all of the next – but can be reviewed on a case-by-case basis “to determine whether an alternative withholding condition is appropriate.” The widely shared story of Virginia Tech linebacker Alan Tisdale, who placed $400 in bets on last year’s NBA Finals and won $41 in profits, resulted in a six-game suspension for the 2022 football season. That amounted to half the season.

The tampering with records charge Williams is facing is an aggravated misdemeanor and could carry a maximum sentence of up to one year in county jail or up to two years in prison if convicted, the newspaper reports."

Last night I watched a 30 for 30 called big shot. It was about the Islanders and Spanos. Guy was worth 300K and bought islanders for $185 million. Islanders and the NHL both didn’t do due diligence.
In their defense, he was doing a very good job in covering his tracks.
On the flip side where they really f’ed up was they agreed to accept payments in payment plans. He was so close to getting away with it

I said this when he was brought in.
Never really understood this transfer.

Likely out all of this year when the roster needed bodies.
Then next year we already have a scholarship crunch and need underclassmen to leave to accommodate incoming recruits.

His "senior leadership" next year was overstated I felt.
He played 2 years at Temple then would have sat out 2 years (ISU then Rutgers).
Derek Simpson would provide more “senior leadership”.

The accused from Iowa State ought to just ask the NCAA, what is the problem? The University allows all underage students, not just athletes, to place illegal bets.

I said this when he was brought in.
Never really understood this transfer.

Likely out all of this year when the roster needed bodies.
Then next year we already have a scholarship crunch and need underclassmen to leave to accommodate incoming recruits.

His "senior leadership" next year was overstated I felt.
He played 2 years at Temple then would have sat out 2 years (ISU then Rutgers).
Derek Simpson would provide more “senior leadership”.
Yep. We can do better with this scholarship. Your comment doesn't even mention his achilles injury.

Mrs Screw with the truth.
Article made Rutgers look like it didn't care and/or ignored his possible involvement
That could be true. If Illinois didn't cut him lose due to this you are claiming they knew but we didn't?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT