ADVERTISEMENT

Just Found Out I Am Significantly More Intelligent Than Even I Had Thought

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
Many thanks to all the hardworking geneticists for this honor, which I recently discovered was bestowed upon me some time ago. Here is part of the article from the Genetics Home Reference page, which the US National Library of Medicine produces (the full article is in the link). With Daylight Savings Time approaching, I'll have more time to enjoy this newfound status among the world's elite minds, and it feels doubly good being an alpha. Pretty sure I'll be contacted by Rutgers Magazine for entry into the Distinguished Alumni section, but even if not I am immensely grateful for the honor.

What is the official name of the RARA gene?

The official name of this gene is "retinoic acid receptor, alpha."
RARA is the gene's official symbol. The RARA gene is also known by other names, listed below.
Read more about gene names and symbols on the About page.[/URL]What is the normal function of the RARA gene?

The RARA gene provides instructions for making a transcription factor called the retinoic acid receptor, alpha (RARα). A transcription factor is a protein that attaches (binds) to specific regions of DNA and helps control the activity of particular genes. The RARα protein controls the activity (transcription) of genes that are important for the maturation (differentiation) of immature white blood cells beyond a particular stage called the promyelocyte.
The RARα protein binds to specific regions of DNA and attracts other proteins that help block (repress) gene transcription, the first step in protein production. In response to a specific signal, the repressive proteins are removed and other proteins that induce gene transcription bind to the RARα protein, allowing gene transcription and cell differentiation.

Rutgers College, Class of '91

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:
Many thanks to all the hardworking geneticists for this honor, which I recently discovered was bestowed upon me some time ago. Here is part of the article from the Genetics Home Reference page, which the US National Library of Medicine produces (the full article is in the link). With Daylight Savings Time approaching, I'll have more time to enjoy this newfound status among the world's elite minds, and it feels doubly good being an alpha. Pretty sure I'll be contacted by Rutgers Magazine for entry into the Distinguished Alumni section, but even if not I am immensely grateful for the honor.

What is the official name of the RARA gene?

The official name of this gene is "retinoic acid receptor, alpha."
RARA is the gene's official symbol. The RARA gene is also known by other names, listed below.
Read more about gene names and symbols on the About page.[/URL]What is the normal function of the RARA gene?

The RARA gene provides instructions for making a transcription factor called the retinoic acid receptor, alpha (RARα). A transcription factor is a protein that attaches (binds) to specific regions of DNA and helps control the activity of particular genes. The RARα protein controls the activity (transcription) of genes that are important for the maturation (differentiation) of immature white blood cells beyond a particular stage called the promyelocyte.
The RARα protein binds to specific regions of DNA and attracts other proteins that help block (repress) gene transcription, the first step in protein production. In response to a specific signal, the repressive proteins are removed and other proteins that induce gene transcription bind to the RARα protein, allowing gene transcription and cell differentiation.
You might still be dumb and been fooled. Think about it (or try).

While not thinking about your post, I searched "screw genes," and what I found accounts for your behavior in Nebraska. You re apparently related to dorsal things, be they eggs or whatever. I just want to reassure you that this finding in no way changes our relationship.

The screw gene encodes a ubiquitously
expressed member of the TGF-p family
required for specification of dorsal

cell fates in the Drosophila embryo

Kavita Arora/ Michael S. Levine,^ and Michael B. O'Connor^'^

'Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry and ^The Developmental Biology Center, University of California
Irvine, Irvine, California 92717 USA, ^Department of Biology, University of California San Diego, La JoUa, California
93093 USA

The decapentaplegic [dpp] gene product, a TGF-p related ligand, acts as an extracellular moiphogen to
establish at least two cellular response thresholds within the dorsal half of the Drosophila embryo. Null
mutations in the screw {sew) gene are phenotypically similar to moderate dpp mutants and cause dorsal cells
to adopt ventral fates. We show that sew encodes a novel TGF-p protein and is an integral part of the signal
that specifies dorsal pattern. Although sew is expressed uniformly during blastoderm stages, its effect on
development appears graded and is restricted to the dorsal side of the embryo. Our results indicate that DPP
activity alone is insufficient to specify different dorsal cell fates. We propose that SCW and DPP act together
to establish distinct response boundaries within the dorsal half of the embryo, perhaps by forming
heterodimers that have higher activity than homodimers of either molecule alone.

[Key Words: Dorsal-ventral pattern; BMP; signal transduction]
Received June 28, 1994; revised version accepted September 14, 1994.

This post was edited on 3/5 6:10 PM by RutgersRaRa

Zygotically Motivated Mr. Screw

While not thinking about your post, I searched "screw genes," and what I found accounts for your behavior in Nebraska. You re apparently related to dorsal things, be they eggs or whatever. I just want to reassure you that this finding in no way changes our relationship.

'Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry and ^The Developmental Biology Center, University of California
Irvine, Irvine, California 92717 USA, ^Department of Biology, University of California San Diego, La JoUa, California
93093 USA

The decapentaplegic [dpp] gene product, a TGF-p related ligand, acts as an extracellular moiphogen to
establish at least two cellular response thresholds within the dorsal half of the Drosophila embryo. Null
mutations in the screw {sew) gene are phenotypically similar to moderate dpp mutants and cause dorsal cells
to adopt ventral fates. We show that sew encodes a novel TGF-p protein and is an integral part of the signal
that specifies dorsal pattern. Although sew is expressed uniformly during blastoderm stages, its effect on
development appears graded and is restricted to the dorsal side of the embryo. Our results indicate that DPP
activity alone is insufficient to specify different dorsal cell fates. We propose that SCW and DPP act together
to establish distinct response boundaries within the dorsal half of the embryo, perhaps by forming
heterodimers that have higher activity than homodimers of either molecule alone.

So if I was a Fruit Fly I'd have a dorsal fin? LOL.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

93093 USA

So if I was a Fruit Fly I'd have a dorsal fin? LOL.
Some chicks--errrr, embryos--find that to be attractive. Who am I to judge? I haven't got time to judge with all the dinners I'll be attending, anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT