ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt Commits to Kentucky!!

Being at the bottom of this graph where Gavin is located is not good. @Richie O , @mb5789

GC3xghZbsAAb68G

Last edited:
As it turned out OSU, Wisconsin and Iowa were games we could have won. A short game adds a whole different dimension that can open up the game. Why do you and others keep harping on the how huge Gavin’s running is (which was limited to at QB draw plays) but dismiss the ability to find someone in stride on a lateral pass as a non-factor? I don’t get it. The threat of those kind of passes requires the defense to play us differently.
Some of you guys have evidently very selective memories. There was no reasonable way we were winning that Iowa game, despite the fact that it was nominally close until the 4th quarter. Our running game averaged 1.5 yards per carry, and Iowa’s defense gave every QB they played (including Athan) fits.

Some of you guys have evidently very selective memories. There was no reasonable way we were winning that Iowa game, despite the fact that it was nominally close until the 4th quarter. Our running game averaged 1.5 yards per carry, and Iowa’s defense gave every QB they played (including Athan) fits.

Your misinterpreting. I’m saying that our defense was good enough to be competitive in that game. It gave up 3 points in the first half. Eventually broke down because we couldn’t get anything going on offense at all. AK did better against Iowa than GW. They scored 12 points. Being able to throw a short pass in that game when pressured is more important than the ability to run a pre set QB draw play in my opinion.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
you actually supported his view lol

Your misinterpreting. I’m saying that our defense was good enough to be competitive in that game. It gave up 3 points in the first half. Eventually broke down because we couldn’t get anything going on offense at all. AK did better against Iowa than GW. They scored 12 points. Being able to throw a short pass in that game when pressured is more important than the ability to run a pre set QB draw play in my opinion.
with even an average QB, we win that game and OSU

I’m trying to remember the start of that Iowa game. Didn’t we start out looking pretty good, then something changed the momentum after the first couple of drives.

I’m trying to remember the start of that Iowa game. Didn’t we start out looking pretty good, then something changed the momentum after the first couple of drives.
yes the first half was good, back and forth, both playing very good D but we couldn't pass and Gav missed two easy throws to keep drives alive that would have been in their territory.

I wish the kid all the best but glad he's gone as Greg had to 'burn the boats'

new chapter, let's roll baby, very excited to see where we go this year. I'm just hoping they don't pull the shit the 94 team did

Yes - it was the same MO as every game. We’re a good running team and Gavin is good at executing rehearsed pass plays. We almost always did well on the first (and sometimes second) offensive set of the game depending on how much of our script was revealed in the first drive. Vs. Iowa, the first drive stalled early after being second and 2 because of two false starts.

That was true no matter who we played. Even the very best teams like Michigan. At the end of the day though, a QB has to be able to make adjustments when the D figures out the schemes and that was where Gavin fell short for us. Maybe it’ll click for him at UK, but at RU he only did this once - on one late game drive vs Michigan State.

Yes and this is answered by your very next post. False starts killed every drive. Lack of run game because they were a top 5 defense.

I wonder why there are 412 posts on this thread and only 13 on the AK thread? I suspect the same posters will blame AK for every loss. Life of the RU QB. Shout out to Mike Teel and Gary Nova amongst others. Guys who won a lot of game and suffered abuse by fans who think they know it all.

Reactions: rutgersal
Yes and this is answered by your very next post. False starts killed every drive. Lack of run game because they were a top 5 defense.

I wonder why there are 412 posts on this thread and only 13 on the AK thread? I suspect the same posters will blame AK for every loss. Life of the RU QB. Shout out to Mike Teel and Gary Nova amongst others. Guys who won a lot of game and suffered abuse by fans who think they know it all.
That was it- the false starts changed the game. Iowa defense was also very good. But that crowd was the big difference. May have been a completely different game if we played it at home.

And to your 2nd part- nailed it...400 replies- mostly negative to a QB(with faults) but got 7 wins with one of the hardest schedules in the country...
Mike Teel- who's own Dad couldn't sit in the stands for fear he would beat the shit out of our own fans and more posts about TurNova than Gary Nova

I have no idea how AK will be with screen passes. It doesn’t appear Minny used the RBs much in the pass game with Tanner Morgan either though and it should be noted that frosh RB Darius Taylor only played 5 games had 11 receptions (the rest of Minny’s RB group combined for 12 on the entire season).

What was disappointing to me about the lack of screen pass game with Gavin was that we knew the potential of guys like Aaron Young who caught 35 passes from Vedral (as an example).

I have no idea how AK will be with screen passes. It doesn’t appear Minny used the RBs much in the pass game with Tanner Morgan either though and it should be noted that frosh RB Darius Taylor only played 5 games had 11 receptions (the rest of Minny’s RB group combined for 12 on the entire season).

What was disappointing to me about the lack of screen pass game with Gavin was that we knew the potential of guys like Aaron Young who caught 35 passes from Vedral (as an example).

Lack of RB passes seems to be more of a OC KC thing looking at 2022 Minnesota: 22 total RB receptions. Star RB Ibrahim only had 7.

I'm sure Gavin didn't help last year, but this goes to my prior question (in a other thread):
how much change in offensive philosophy can we really expect next year? Gavin out and AK in. But it's still OC KC running the show.

Lack of RB passes seems to be more of a OC KC thing looking at 2022 Minnesota: 22 total RB receptions. Star RB Ibrahim only had 7.

I'm sure Gavin didn't help last year, but this goes to my prior question (in a other thread):
how much change in offensive philosophy can we really expect next year? Gavin out and AK in. But it's still OC KC running the show.
Minny didn’t throw to RBs much last season either once Taylor got hurt. That was my point.

I should add that the 4th string kid who Minny paid to play in the bowl game executed 2 of those 11 screen passes to Taylor. Those were the only types of throws they let him throw in the game. Point being, I have a feeling that without Taylor, the staff didn’t think they had the right personnel to benefit from running those plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714
The strange thing with NJ "parents" in general- they just look down on Rutgers. And not only for sports. I know so many parents so proud of their kids getting in places like Syracuse and other type places and I ask if they had applied to Rutgers and almost always- "They did but was hoping they wouldn't have to be stuck going there" or something similar.
We have so much infighting in the state about Rutgers that no one is really promoting just how good of an education it is and the status it carries everywhere but in NJ.

Just weird.

Even when our son committed, so many asked- "did he get any other offers?"
Many in NJ have been brainwashed about the quality of a Rutgers education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT