ADVERTISEMENT

Football LIVE GAME THREAD: RFootball vs. PSU

Noah again bad decision making.
Waits too long to release to open WR.
agreed.. happens to all QBs.. but is somehow only unacceptable when Sitkowski does it.

Its a small crime that they didn't go to Sitkowski when you need to move the ball fast and score twice. Then with 2 min left and no real chance to win.. still you don't bring him him? Hell.. I'd rather see Lanagan allowed to run a two minute drill.. see his arm over a longer period.

17 completions for 113 yards..6.5 yards a catch. Pathetic.

Not even giving Sitkowski a chance after last weeks numbers..."doing everything we can to win"

Bullcrap.

Greg hasn’t changed. Never will.
Thinks he has a P5 QB in Vedral and he doesn’t.
Art should transfer in January. He will prove himself somewhere.

Greg hasn’t changed. Never will.
Thinks he has a P5 QB in Vedral and he doesn’t.
Art should transfer in January. He will prove himself somewhere.
Really looks like weakness to me.. Schiano and/or Gleeson.. in not giving Sitkoowski a shot in 2nd half or at least with 4 minutes left. Then doubling-down on that weakness with 2 min left. It's like Sitkowski is in the doghouse for some reason.

agreed.. happens to all QBs.. but is somehow only unacceptable when Sitkowski does it.

Its a small crime that they didn't go to Sitkowski when you need to move the ball fast and score twice. Then with 2 min left and no real chance to win.. still you don't bring him him? Hell.. I'd rather see Lanagan allowed to run a two minute drill.. see his arm over a longer period.
Coaching staff continues to be very slow or non-existant in making in-game adjustments. They appeared to treat this game as a scrimmage.

idk second half RU had the chances and the offense sucked. D played well. play calling suspect

[QU OTE="RUReady76, post: 4815371, member: 14310"]
Coaching staff continues to be very slow or non-existant in making in-game adjustments. They appeared to treat this game as a scrimmage.
[/QUOTE]

Noah again bad decision making.
Waits too long to release to open WR.

Noticed this several times today as well. A guy is open immediately and he waits, and waits and waits before getting the ball out. So even when it's a completion, there is zero change for the guy to do anything after the catch. He's either pinned against the sideline of a defender is on him by then.

Really looks like weakness to me.. Schiano and/or Gleeson.. in not giving Sitkoowski a shot in 2nd half or at least with 4 minutes left. Then doubling-down on that weakness with 2 min left. It's like Sitkowski is in the doghouse for some reason.
Don’t agree. If Sit was in, we lose any possibility of a QB run. So PSU can just attack while dropping one more player into coverage that otherwise would need to cover the QB run.

I think Vedral, who had the most yards running in the game, gave us our best shot. Offensive play callingmin the first half, some critical dropped passes, V’s fumble, and poor run defense the whole game is what did us in. Not the QB play, in general. Sit was not going to overcome all that and wouldn’t have gotten the yardage V got for some of our first downs.

Reactions: RutHut
These coaches are willing to try anything to win. Look at what we did last week. While I was in favor of playing Sit in the second half the fact that the coaches didn’t play him tells me a lot. They simply don’t think he’s good enough.

Reactions: RUforlife
Sit would have been the worst of no good choices. Langan just as bad. Their DLine completely manhandled our Oline. Vedral was getting buried on three steps drops in the shot gun. Art would have had probably even less time because he’s no great to run.

I’ve said it a few times. Today was a bad match up. I said it last week after Purdue. What see did against them would not work against PSU.

Would have been nice to put it to the test, right?

We who would have wanted to see what Sitkowski would do are not saying he would have won the game... but those who oppose the idea make definitive statements that he would have been worse for us.

I don't understand that.

Especially with 2 minutes left and I think 4 minutes left.. there was no reason not to give him a chance and prove you critcis right.

Didn't like going for it on 4th in the 1st quarter when our O-line wasn't getting it done off the bat. Pin them back with the score 0-0 and wind at your back. Risk was not worth reward there and set an early tone. Better second half, but we got our arses kicked in the first.

Would have been nice to put it to the test, right?

We who would have wanted to see what Sitkowski would do are not saying he would have won the game... but those who oppose the idea make definitive statements that he would have been worse for us.

I don't understand that.

Especially with 2 minutes left and I think 4 minutes left.. there was no reason not to give him a chance and prove you critcis right.
Sure, it’s always nice, from a fans perspective, to contemplate and sometimes see how their theories pan out.

But coaches have more responsibility than fans and have to make decisions based on data, on much closer and better informed observation both in games and in practices, and on their experience with and knowledge of the game, which is vastly superior to all but 0.01% of fans.

And yes, I did the math. 🙂

At halftime, I would have been okay with giving Sit a shot. Once I saw how we’d adjusted in the second half, and that we were creating more opportunities on offense, I could see that Vedral was the right call, and I could see why (his mobility).

The game wasn’t lost due to Vedral’s play (and the stats support that). The game was lost, IMO, mostly because we came out flat on D in the first half, and had a very poor first half game plan of offense.

Full control perfectly legal
No it's not, neither is grasping or clamping the opponent under the shoulder pads.

NCAA[edit]
The following is quoted directly from the NCAA 2015 Rules and Interpretations document available online here

Holding[edit]
Illegal use of the hand or arm is unfair play, eliminates skill and does not belong in the game. The object of the game is to advance the ball by strategy, skill and speed without illegally holding your opponent. All coaches and players should thoroughly understand the rules for proper offensive and defensive use of the hands. Holding is a frequently called penalty; it is important to emphasize the severity of the penalty. [1]Holding and Use of Hands or Arms: Offense[edit]
ARTICLE 3.

a. Use of Hands

A teammate of a ball carrier or a passer legally may block with his shoulders, his hands, the outer surface of his arms or any other part of his body under the following provisions.

1. The hand(s) shall be:(a) In advance of the elbow.(b) Inside the frame of the opponent’s body (Exception: When the opponent turns his back to the blocker) (A.R. 9-3-3-VI and VII).(c) At or below the shoulder(s) of the blocker and the opponent (Exception: When the opponent squats, ducks or submarines).(d) Apart and never in a locked position.

2. The hand(s) shall be open with the palm(s) facing the frame of the opponent or closed or cupped with the palms not facing the opponent (A.R. 9-3-3-I-IV and VI-VIII). RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES FR-97

b. Holding

The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent.

PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line [S42].
Holding (American football) - Wikipedia

To be fair I've been pounding the table that RU OL needs to master the under-the-shoulder-pads grab that the better B1G teams always get away with.
That’s not a hold
If they are grabbing?

No it's not, neither is grasping or clamping the opponent under the shoulder pads.

NCAA[edit]
The following is quoted directly from the NCAA 2015 Rules and Interpretations document available online here

Holding[edit]
Illegal use of the hand or arm is unfair play, eliminates skill and does not belong in the game. The object of the game is to advance the ball by strategy, skill and speed without illegally holding your opponent. All coaches and players should thoroughly understand the rules for proper offensive and defensive use of the hands. Holding is a frequently called penalty; it is important to emphasize the severity of the penalty. [1]Holding and Use of Hands or Arms: Offense[edit]
ARTICLE 3.

a. Use of Hands

A teammate of a ball carrier or a passer legally may block with his shoulders, his hands, the outer surface of his arms or any other part of his body under the following provisions.

1. The hand(s) shall be:(a) In advance of the elbow.(b) Inside the frame of the opponent’s body (Exception: When the opponent turns his back to the blocker) (A.R. 9-3-3-VI and VII).(c) At or below the shoulder(s) of the blocker and the opponent (Exception: When the opponent squats, ducks or submarines).(d) Apart and never in a locked position.

2. The hand(s) shall be open with the palm(s) facing the frame of the opponent or closed or cupped with the palms not facing the opponent (A.R. 9-3-3-I-IV and VI-VIII). RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES FR-97

b. Holding

The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent.

PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line [S42].
Refs graduated from the Joe Pa School for the Observant

Beat Maryland and we finish 3rd in the East behind Ohio State and Indiana
Not true. As I la8d that out in my other thread they would be 2 and 3 and we would be 3 and 5. 400 is higher than 375. You can claim that but that is not how the B1G will rank us unless they change system. Which usually only works for OSU.

NCAA[edit]

Holding[edit]
ARTICLE 3.

a. Use of Hands

b. Holding

Maybe the rule but never, EVER called that way. Just like a facemask is never called on a running back giving a stiff arm to the face if a defender.

Maybe the rule but never, EVER called that way. Just like a facemask is never called on a running back giving a stiff arm to the face if a defender.
LOL--then like I said our OL--heck our WRs and TEs too-- need to get better at grasping and clamping under the shoulder pads of defenders.

LOL--then like I said our OL--heck our WRs and TEs too-- need to get better at grasping and clamping under the shoulder pads of defenders.
Getting away with such stuff has always been..in my opinion....a function of coaches teaching you how to get away with it and being successful enough as a program that the refs let you to some extent. Rutgers has never been enough of a winner to get the benefit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT