ADVERTISEMENT

Lord Nelson Dies at 42

Baffert has a 3yo horse named Lord Nelson. He didn't qualify for the Derby but watch for him later in the season.

I was at that game, and if memory serves me correctly, it cost us an extra point. And for a long time, it looked like that extra point might be the difference in the game. I wonder if Lord Nelson would have made it to 42 if his antics cost us the game ;-)

On October 8, 1994 Rutgers took on Army at Giants Stadium. With 8:59 left in the game, Rutgers scored a touchdown to take a 16-14 lead. The next day's New York Times reported, "Rutgers missed the extra point because of one of its mascots, a horse. Exhuberance over what turned out to be the winning touchdown, the rider swept onto the field and rode down the sidelines. That cost the Scarlet Knights 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct, and the kicker, Eddie Duborg, had to try his conversion from 35 yards out. He missed." Before the game's end, Army moved into field goal range but also missed their kick. Rutgers hung on to win 16-14 in a game nearly blown by "un-sp-horsemanlike conduct."

I thought that the horse at the game that day was from Medieval Times ...
This post was edited on 4/15 3:36 PM by RutgersFan

RutgersFan: "... I thought that the horse at the game that day was from Mid Evil Times...."

You know, you could very well be right about that. Mideval Times Restaurant in Lyndhurst did provide the Scarlet Knight rider and mascot at some games.... especially those at the Meadowlands.

Originally posted by Source:
RutgersFan: "... I thought that the horse at the game that day was from Mid Evil Times...."

You know, you could very well be right about that. Mideval Times Restaurant in Lyndhurst did provide the Scarlet Knight rider and mascot at some games.... especially those at the Meadowlands.
I thought they only did halftime shows in those days...

Originally posted by RutgersFan:
I thought that the horse at the game that day was from Medieval Times ...

This post was edited on 4/15 3:36 PM by RutgersFan
That's what I thought too.

In any case, RIP to the "dumb ass horse."

(After the game Doug Graber was quoted as saying something like "We even have a dumb ass horse around here." To me this quote always perfectly summarized the first 125 years of Rutgers football. To this day "Dumb Ass Horse" is my fantasy football name.)

megadrone: "... I thought they only did halftime shows in those days......"

When Medieval Times opened in Lyndhurst in 1990, Rutgers occasionally hired one of the theme restaurant riders and the horse with the red outfit, to appear at the Meadowlands games, and some Rutgers Stadium games. I'm not sure if it was the Michigan State or West Virginia game of 1990; or the Army or Syracuse game of 1991 or the Penn State or Army game of 1992 at Giants Stadium. But the Scarlet Knight rider and horse came charging out of the tunnel and did a full speed gallop with lance under arm down the field to lead Rutgers onto the field.

It..... was..... AWESOME! I was in the end zone where the rider was headed and it was just magnificent looking.

I don't believe you're allowed to do that anymore. But that sight is ingrained in my memory.

I was there, the horse ran from endzone to endzone on the field, not down the sideline as reported in the article.

With my grandson:

imgsvr.ashx

Originally posted by RU1977:
With my grandson:

ec
This is NOT Lord Nelson...LN was brown. Two horses, both grey have taken over since. I think the recent horse has been used for about 5 years or so.

Thanks - had no idea - this horse was used in the 2103 Rutgers/Temple game 2 years ago.....

I liked the pic though, didn't know it wasn't Lord Nelson

RU77: "...Thanks - had no idea - this horse was used in the 2103 Rutgers/Temple game 2 years ago.....
liked the pic though, didn't know it wasn't Lord Nelson..."

Don't forget about another Rutgers warrior who had a healthy reign as the Scarlet Knight:

The final home game of the 2007 season was also the final game for a Rutgers mascot with a decade of loyal service, "Lord Espartero IV, the horse that roams that Rutgers Stadium field during every game, retired after 10 years of service…" according to the November 18, 2007 Star-Ledger. The 30 year old replaced Lord Nelson as the last Scarlet Knight mascot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT