ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball MBB announces Non-Conference schedule

O/U 3000 fans for Caldwell?

Edit: To put it less snarkily, they couldn't even get that game and Lafayette on a Saturday?

Pittsburgh is preseason 12th in ACC rankings so they're anticipating an improved season. They are picked ahead of 15th Virginia Tech, 14th Wake Forest and 13th Clemson.

I'm not quite ready to completely write off Clemson, VA Tech as finishing near last place. Wake Forest could finish last or next to last.

I don't know what these other schools are projected to finish in their leagues, but St Bonaventure is the wild card in the A-10. I don't think they'll win the regular season title, but the A-10 tournament has been upset-city in year's past.

Dec. 30 against Caldwell. Probably less than 1000 fans. I go to most home games but you couldn’t pay me to go to that. What in world is the purpose of it?

Didn't RU play CCNY or Yeshiva in recent memory?
We opened against Baruch and CCNY several years back in different seasons but it was justifiable given how bad / young the team was.
With this squad having "expectations", there is NO EXCUSE for a Caldwell on the schedule unless it's an exhibition.

I still say this schedule has Hobbs' fingerprints all over it to ease / forget the pain of the imminent FB disaster....

Our OOC schedule is not tough but we do play 20 BIG games which last year made our seasonal schedule the 31st toughest in the country. We need a winning season and Coach needs to find out about all of our new players so I won't blame Coach at all. As for Caldwell we did lose to Hartford on 12/28/17 and Stony Brook on 12/22/17.. We often play a very bad game around Christmas and New Year's. Last year we only defeated Columbia on 12/22/18 by 68-65. Our players go home for a few days and it seems as if they often are not ready to play during the holidays. I myself don't mind playing Caldwell. It is only one D-2 team and their coach is very friendly with our staff. He told me last year he hoped his team could play us in a real game so I am not surprised about that. I believe we will get over 2,000 for the game and possibly even 3,000 to 4,000.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I think so but we were putrid at the time and Jordan was clueless (still no excuse for that scheduling). We’ve been building for this season and next for several years.
Looking at the OOC schedule under Eddie Jordan, it looks pretty good. More challenging than this season.

We usually have an AAC team on there to make things look a little better. This is pretty putrid.

Not necessarily. Depends how deep big is and who we beat. In 2018 Nebraska went 13-5 in the BIG abs 22-11 overall and was NIT.

Our OOC is super soft. Will hurt us big time if we’re on cusp.
BigTen was top heavy and mediocre in ‘17-‘18.

Reactions: Scangg
The bottom half of the big ten has improved significantly since 17-18. There’s a lot of parity in the conference now

Reactions: Scangg
We usually have an AAC team on there to make things look a little better. This is pretty putrid.
I glanced at each schedule since Rutgers has been in the B1G and the only AAC team I saw was East Carolina. Hardly a top tier AAC team. The AAC would be a good conference to schedule a home-and-home with but only if you schedule someone like Cincinnati, Temple, Houston, or Wichita State. Those schools have good basketball brands so a home game against them should lead to good tix sales at the RAC Plus a road game against them should be no worse than a quad 2 game and might even be a quad 1 game -- Houston and Cincinnati -- based off of recent history (which is no indication of future performance).

This OOC schedule makes a compelling case for restarting our annual matchup with Princeton. Would be more interesting to our fan base than half the games on this schedule.

This OOC schedule makes a compelling case for restarting our annual matchup with Princeton. Would be more interesting to our fan base than half the games on this schedule.

We should absolutely play Princeton every year and it's maddening that we don't.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
There's no evidence over an extended period of time 10 years that fans should view the league as subpar when it comes to earning an NCAA bid.

Big Ten NCAA Tournament bids by season

2019-8

• 2018 – 4
  • 2017 – 7
  • 2016 – 7
  • 2015 – 7
  • 2014 – 6
  • 2013 – 7
  • 2012 – 6
  • 2011 – 7
  • 2010 – 5
  • 2009 – 7