ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer to Host Northeastern in Season Opener

Solid "W" to open the season. Looking at the stats nothing spectacular but the boyz seemed to have gotten the job done regardless. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch so anyone else care to chime in?

Solid "W" to open the season. Looking at the stats nothing spectacular but the boyz seemed to have gotten the job done regardless. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch so anyone else care to chime in?
I watched. Northeastern actually played pretty well and probably controlled possession about 55-45, but Rutgers scored two very opportunistic goals in the first 7 minutes, both by Curt Calov, and then Nico Rosamilia scored a nice goal on a rebound in the second half.

But Our GK Ciaran Dalton was forced to make a few medium-difficulty saves, and NE also missed a couple of golden opportunities on some bad Rutgers giveaways in our own end. We were allowing NE to control possession early in the 2nd half, which led to a foul at the top of the box, and the NE player scored on the ensuing free kick (a direct kick to the left of our "wall," so Dalton really never saw it). Overall, NE basically played Rutgers "even" in terms of scoring chances and corner kicks, not something you expect when Rutgers is playing a lower level opponent.

This team is young -- very young -- and there’s going to be some growing pains. We’re playing green first and second year players all throughout the lineup, including all freshman and sophs on the back line. This looks like it could be a rebuilding year with all of the young new faces.

Reactions: SirScarlet
I watched. Northeastern actually played pretty well and probably controlled possession about 55-45, but Rutgers scored two very opportunistic goals in the first 7 minutes, both by Curt Calov, and then Nico Rosamilia scored a nice goal on a rebound in the second half.

But Our GK Ciaran Dalton was forced to make a few medium-difficulty saves, and NE also missed a couple of golden opportunities on some bad Rutgers giveaways in our own end. We were allowing NE to control possession early in the 2nd half, which led to a foul at the top of the box, and the NE player scored on the ensuing free kick (a direct kick to the left of our "wall," so Dalton really never saw it). Overall, NE basically played Rutgers "even" in terms of scoring chances and corner kicks, not something you expect when Rutgers is playing a lower level opponent.

This team is young -- very young -- and there’s going to be some growing pains. We’re playing green first and second year players all throughout the lineup, including all freshman and sophs on the back line. This looks like it could be a rebuilding year with all of the young new faces.
Thanks! @SirScarlet your take? Since I know you watched, lol!

Thanks! @SirScarlet your take? Since I know you watched, lol!
Yeah...I wasn't there but watched while working...so I am sure I missed some of the nuances

I think Degaz' take is good. I agree with his assessment. The few giveaways in the back were shocking so I will chalk them up to early season rust. While some were from the new faces, a few were from our more seasoned players which was surprising.

Calov never seemed to get going last year and he is an excellent excellent player. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come because if we can get things clicking in the final third this team has a chance to be good. There is talent everywhere but as noted above there is also a lot of Youth and inexperience.

Unlike on the women's side I am a huge fan of the head coach so I am definitely bullish on the season and the upside of this team.

(I had to get that MO shot in there...lol... but joking aside I am actually also really excited to see the girls team this year because I really like a bunch of the new girls they brought in)

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I watched most of the first half we scored 2 quick goals and we played a lot of guys
But good game overall

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT