ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Messages from players after the game

Rhj making me a little nervous there...I can't take any more emotional pain tonight...hope i am just being nervous about nothing
Harper might have NBA talent, but he first needs to lose his baby fat and come back for another year to mold his game more.

If I'm his dad, I get the best physical trainer and nutritionist and start Jr next week, chisel that body.

RHJ is not a pro yet. Inconsistent shooter, tweener. NEeds to get in better shape. Doesn’t box out or give great rebounding effort. That’s indisputable. Would be bad decision for him to leave. I think his Dad knows that. If he things otherwise, he’s got a big ego.

Agreed. Needs another year and to get serious about his body. Disaster second half of the season from 3 changed his stock. He should come back

Harper might have NBA talent, but he first needs to lose his baby fat and come back for another year to mold his game more.

If I'm his dad, I get the best physical trainer and nutritionist and start Jr next week, chisel that body.

I didn't think for one second he would be leaving early to the league. These days I'm worried about transfers.

Again...I hope I am reading his message the wrong way. But it sounds like farewell

RHJ needs to shoot at 38%+ from 3 for a full season before he can be considered a legit draft prospect. Better fitness and more consistent defensive effort would go a long way too for a guy likely trying to carve out a path as a 3 and D tweener

Reactions: Scangg
He’s not going pro. His only option outside of returning is to transfer.

What's the point of transferring? He will be even more the focal point if Geo and Young are gone

IMHO we don't have a single player on this team that is NBA caliber. RHJ has the best chance but as people have said if he went now that would be a big mistake.

RHJ has no shot at getting drafted right now. He had a great start to the season but there isn't any part of his game that is NBA ready. He avg'd what? 10 pts/game over the second half of the season?

He could sign a pro contract overseas but that's something guys do when they've run out of eligibility or are desperate for any income.

He needs to come back and work on his quickness, jump shot, ball handing and ability to create off the dribble. We need him to come back and take a big step forward and play like Lance Stevenson did his senior year for PSU.

It wouldn't be shocking if RHJ declared for the draft without an agent, with the intention of getting more feedback about his game and to get his name out there. But in the end, he'd be better off coming back, getting a bit leaner, and continuing to work on his game to get drafted in the first round and be positioned to have a long NBA career.

I didn't think for one second he would be leaving early to the league. These days I'm worried about transfers.

Again...I hope I am reading his message the wrong way. But it sounds like farewell
Why would he transfer? Makes no sense

If that was your last game as a Knight: thank you, JY, for all you did for our program. I loved watching you in Scarlet.

Ron, you gave us a lot of great moments this year, too. I would love to see you come back and tear it up again next season.

I'd be shocked if Harper isnt back next year. And I have a gut feeling that the way it ended tonight might motivate Geo and Myles to come back and take care of unfinished business.

Aside from Harper I think this team took care of unfinished business already.

Reactions: kcg88
RHJ has no shot at getting drafted right now. He had a great start to the season but there isn't any part of his game that is NBA ready. He avg'd what? 10 pts/game over the second half of the season?

He could sign a pro contract overseas but that's something guys do when they've run out of eligibility or are desperate for any income.

He needs to come back and work on his quickness, jump shot, ball handing and ability to create off the dribble. We need him to come back and take a big step forward and play like Lance Stevenson did his senior year for PSU.

Lol Lance Stephenson was a one and done for Cincy. I think you meant Lamar Stevens

Reactions: RUJMM78
Please stop with the "Harper is out of shape" talk.

That is just his body type. Think Rashod Kent or Charles Barkley, though not as pronounced.

The guy has practiced for hours almost every day and played over 30 minutes in most games. He is in shape. Likely he does just as much work as anybody else in the weight room.

His body type is actually an advantage in getting position and rebounds.

Why would he transfer? Makes no sense

I have no idea why he would. i think I included healthy caveats I could be reading into his message the wrong way and was wondering what this group thought.

Myles and Mathis are who to worry about, although I'm ok if Mathis leaves assuming Pike can bring in quality transfers. Myles we NEED next year

Please stop with the "Harper is out of shape" talk.

That is just his body type. Think Rashod Kent or Charles Barkley, though not as pronounced.

The guy has practiced for hours almost every day and played over 30 minutes in most games. He is in shape. Likely he does just as much work as anybody else in the weight room.

His body type is actually an advantage in getting position and rebounds.

his extra weight is an advantage and he’ll never have a chiseled body but there Is no way he’s playing in the NBA the way he currently is. The right training can definitely get him a little quicker without losing strength and he will need that going forward.

Harper LOVES playing at Rutgers, he's always been very clear about that and he's proud it's the state's top college.
If it was a goodby tweet he would have mentioned it . Why hold back if he was leaving? But he didn't so I expect him back. I think he realizes he needs another year to work on his game and lose about 15-20 pounds. Moreover I doubt he needs to leave for the pros due to any financial hardship so why not finish his 4 years , get his degree and increase his NBA draft stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: IL Lusciato
IMHO we don't have a single player on this team that is NBA caliber. RHJ has the best chance but as people have said if he went now that would be a big mistake.
I would say Young might be NBA caliber. He'd be a heckuva sparkplug off the bench for a team given his speed, body control and above average shooting. Agree about the others.

Reactions: RUTRINI
It was the two best basketball seasons of my life. Thanks you fellas. Life comes at you fast...Live in the moment.

If it was a goodby tweet he would have mentioned it . Why hold back if he was leaving? But he didn't so I expect him back. I think he realizes he needs another year to work on his game and lose about 15-20 pounds. Moreover I doubt he needs to leave for the p[ros due to any financial hardship so why not finish his 4 years , get his degree and increase his NBA draft stock.
Harper needs to come back as a small forward which requires more consistent 3 point shooting and posting up for turn around jump shots.The power forward position needs to be filled with a transfer that can rebound and score.If Johnson returns,he needs to improve his post moves so that he becomes a offensive threat.With the likely departure of Baker and Young,Rutgers will have to mix and match with returning players and the incoming freshmen.

Harper needs to come back as a small forward which requires more consistent 3 point shooting and posting up for turn around jump shots.The power forward position needs to be filled with a transfer that can rebound and score.If Johnson returns,he needs to improve his post moves so that he becomes a offensive threat.With the likely departure of Baker and Young,Rutgers will have to mix and match with returning players and the incoming freshmen.
would love to see harper with some post up moves and more of a mid range game. Would really open up the 3 ball for him.

I would say Young might be NBA caliber. He'd be a heckuva sparkplug off the bench for a team given his speed, body control and above average shooting. Agree about the others.
Jacob's ball handling isn't NBA-caliber for a guard, but maybe he gets some looks for G League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT