ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball More on Rutgers' loss to Iowa including key stats, moments

I think we had 19 turnovers in the SHU game. Not Miami.

But point well taken. We turned the ball over way too much to withstand their shooting even with a good offensive performance.

Watching the Big Network recaps of yesterday's games we saw Edey dominate. And one thing he does very well is make the pass when he is doubled. Cliff was a turnover machine whenever he got doubled. In the first few minutes we could have taken a significant lead if we took care of the ball. Caleb took too many shots early. And he wasn't the lock down defender we have come to expect.

Reiber did play well, but had a key goof during our 2nd half run. He got a pass from the right wing and was WIDE open for a top of the key 3. Rather than shooting, he took one dribble and attempted a jumping lob pass to Cliff which resulted in a turnover. Iowa converted the turnover into points. I forget the exact time and score, but that was a critical sequence of plays.

And @ChrisNalwasky , how about a stat for the # of fast break points Iowa scored after a made RU basket. Technically not a fast break, but Iowa was consistently scoring with >22 seconds remaining on the shot clock. Clearly it was part of their strategy, but I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Iowa guys wide open, and our guys scrambling and disorganized. And again, this is after we scored and they had to inbound.

Of all the things Iowa did on offense, this should have been the easiest to recognize and adjust to.

Reiber did play well, but had a key goof during our 2nd half run. He got a pass from the right wing and was WIDE open for a top of the key 3. Rather than shooting, he took one dribble and attempted a jumping lob pass to Cliff which resulted in a turnover. Iowa converted the turnover into points. I forget the exact time and score, but that was a critical sequence of plays.

And @ChrisNalwasky , how about a stat for the # of fast break points Iowa scored after a made RU basket. Technically not a fast break, but Iowa was consistently scoring with >22 seconds remaining on the shot clock. Clearly it was part of their strategy, but I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Iowa guys wide open, and our guys scrambling and disorganized. And again, this is after we scored and they had to inbound.

Of all the things Iowa did on offense, this should have been the easiest to recognize and adjust to.

I was thinking the same thing, too. Rutgers did not get back fast enough. Without re-watching it, by my count looking once, Iowa scored 29 after RU scored in under about 12 seconds or less. Free throws are included.

Watching the Big Network recaps of yesterday's games we saw Edey dominate. And one thing he does very well is make the pass when he is doubled. Cliff was a turnover machine whenever he got doubled. In the first few minutes we could have taken a significant lead if we took care of the ball. Caleb took too many shots early. And he wasn't the lock down defender we have come to expect.

YES! It was driving me nuts. I forgot to include that in the section. There was I think three times in a row Cliff turned the ball over after being double teamed in the post, two when trying to pass.

I think we had 19 turnovers in the SHU game. Not Miami.

But point well taken. We turned the ball over way too much to withstand their shooting even with a good offensive performance.

RU had 15 turnovers vs. Miami =]

Key moments down the stretch were the bs offensive foul on Paul down 3 I think, the non call where cliff got hacked and airballed from 3 feet and them giving iowa points on bs foul calls including cliffs clean block and mag bumping a moving screener. Once we got it to one the whistles crushed the comeback. To their credit they made a couple and we missed a couple but that stretch was tough to watch. Way too many turnovers and bad transition d of course as well.

Key moments down the stretch were the bs offensive foul on Paul down 3 I think, the non call where cliff got hacked and airballed from 3 feet and them giving iowa points on bs foul calls including cliffs clean block and mag bumping a moving screener. Once we got it to one the whistles crushed the comeback. To their credit they made a couple and we missed a couple but that stretch was tough to watch. Way too many turnovers and bad transition d of course as well.
Yup that one on Paul was a joke

Great analysis!!

If you watched MSU and Iowa play against us they tried to move the ball fast after a basket to avoid Rutgers press. This was both of their strategies and helped them get very clean looks against us many different times. It helped create great spacing as we were slow to get back consistently and sharp passing got the open looks.
That is easily in our control and would have changed the game

Great analysis!!

If you watched MSU and Iowa play against us they tried to move the ball fast after a basket to avoid Rutgers press. This was both of their strategies and helped them get very clean looks against us many different times. It helped create great spacing as we were slow to get back consistently and sharp passing got the open looks.
That is easily in our control and would have changed the game
That’s pretty much the msu and iowa approach regardless of attempts to press made baskets. Yes we need to get back better and find people.

There were times after a made Rutgers basket you could see our guys running back to the defensive side and the Iowa players coming up behind. Our guys were not facing the oncoming Iowa players so were not in position when they turned around and found the Iowa shooters already in range to fire away.

The first 4 minutes Iowa 4 PFs, Rutgers 1 PF
Next 16 minutes of the 1st half Iowa 3 Rutgers 7
First 16 minutes of the 2nd half Iowa 4 Rutgers 12
Last four minutes Iowa 3 Rutgers 5

I am starting to think McCaffery does it by design, aggressive fouling in the opening minutes for the refs to call a tighter game and than back off and let the officials call every ticky tack foul the rest of the game, which works against our defense even if we don't foul but looks like it.

Reactions: RUBlackout
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT