ADVERTISEMENT

NBPD and RUPD announce plan to cooperate

NotInRHouse

Legend
Oct 17, 2007
Who'd have thunk it, they are capable of working together and patrolling the 5th and 6th together, specifically to protect students!

Of course they couldn't help but dig against the students for going to bars (interestingly enough no such crime wave occured in other 15-20 major concentrations of bars in the tri state area)...

We shall see...sad that it took the governor looking into it for this to happen.

link

"According to police, students need to realize that frequenting bars and parties until the early morning "creates an atmosphere ripe for detrimental or criminal behavior. Students should also be mindful that with an increase in the use and distribution of illegal drugs, there has been a corresponding up-tick in violent crimes often associated with drug activity."

What a joke. Its not the cops fault the streets are unsafe, its the students fault for getting drunk and letting their guard down. It doesn't seem to be an issue in Hoboken or NYC, because they properly police the population.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

"According to police, students need to realize that frequenting bars and parties until the early morning "creates an atmosphere ripe for detrimental or criminal behavior. Students should also be mindful that with an increase in the use and distribution of illegal drugs, there has been a corresponding up-tick in violent crimes often associated with drug activity."

What a joke. Its not the cops fault the streets are unsafe, its the students fault for getting drunk and letting their guard down. It doesn't seem to be an issue in Hoboken or NYC, because they properly police the population.
Yep. It's the equivalent of the police telling women to stop dressing in sexy clothes because it brings the rapists to the neighborhood.

It's a pretext to crackdown on open container and underage drinking while pretending that has to do with a murder and 4 assaults

Originally posted by rurichdog:

Yep. It's the equivalent of the police telling women to stop dressing in sexy clothes because it brings the rapists to the neighborhood.
respectfully disagree. When students get drunk, they become easy targets for criminals. The analogy is telling a woman that if she gets drunk, she'll be at greater risk of sexual assault. There is no harm in warning people of the unfortunate consequences their behavior can have.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:

respectfully disagree. When students get drunk, they become easy targets for criminals. The analogy is telling a woman that if she gets drunk, she'll be at greater risk of sexual assault. There is no harm in warning people of the unfortunate consequences their behavior can have.
I don't understand the difference. To me, they both sound like they are saying "your legal and reasonable, but indelicate behavior (frequenting bars or dressing in sexy clothing) puts you at risk for assualt.

Certainly you have to be aware of your surroundings. But to me it is completely unacceptable for the police to deflect blame onto the victims.

Originally posted by Upstream:
Originally posted by camdenlawprof:

I don't understand the difference. To me, they both sound like they are saying "your legal and reasonable, but indelicate behavior (frequenting bars or dressing in sexy clothing) puts you at risk for assualt.

Certainly you have to be aware of your surroundings. But to me it is completely unacceptable for the police to deflect blame onto the victims.
There is a line between saying, "you're really the one at fault because of your behavior" and "if you acted differently, you'd cut your risk substantially." I guess it's hard to express. There has been a lot of debate in feminist circles about whether college women should be urged to stop getting drunk, or whether this amounts to simply "blaming the victim." It's a shame because changes in behavior would in fact lower the risk. I am not sure that's true when it comes to clothing -- I've never heard of any evidence that the rapist gives a damn how the victim is dressed, or that the rapist even is acting out of sexual desire.

Edit: since I am in South Jersey, I listen to Philadelphia stations and hear public service ads by the state of Pennsylvania saying that a truly incredibly high percentage of cars that are stolen were left unlocked by their owners. Is this OK, or is the state "blaming the victims?" That's not a rhetorical question.

This post was edited on 3/25 5:52 PM by camdenlawprof

The police assessment is typical NBPD baloney.

One of the assaults took place at 7PM on Livingston Avenue; one at a home on Louis Street; another at 5AM (even the fat sandwich joints close at 4).

It's just so they can continue issuing more BS fines and say it's preventing assault.

It's an indication that they will be making a cursory effort because now they're under a microscope. Hopefully the AG is wise to it.

In other news...

A man has been arrested in the murder of William McCaw. Not too many details regarding the circumstances.

Also, there is currently some kind of situation happening at the New Brunswick Train Station on the northbound platform. Apparently 3 people were injured and 1 was killed - there is a northbound train stopped just north of the Station, but no word if it was involved in whatever happened. Trains were completely stopped for awhile, but are once again starting to get on the move. Theres currently at least 3 helicopters flying overhead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT