ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championship Banners

Hey paw, what do think of PSU’ wrestling team this year. Can you give us your thoughts on each weight? Thanks.
Billy G

Hey paw, what do think of PSU’ wrestling team this year. Can you give us your thoughts on each weight? Thanks.
Billy G
Oh, man, what a loaded question.

Let's talk schedule first. It appears that the coaches have shaped the season around two primary events. First, the Senior Nationals, the Olympic Trials Qualifier in December; and second, and most importantly, NCAAs. For the last four or five years, the team has gone to the Keystone Classic, the weekend before Thanksgiving. This year, they are going to the Army West Point Invite, which is a week earlier than the Keystone was. A couple of duals in the first week of December, then the Senior Nationals is two weeks after that.

Unfortunately, this means they won't wrestle the Scuffle. That is a good event, in a nice city, and it's a shame to miss it, but I assume the coaches are worried about bodies being beat up at Senior Nationals. After that, it's the push to NCAAs, with the trials shortly afterwards.

As far as line-up expectations:
125: I expect we'll see Brody Teske, and he should be an upgrade to Schnupp. All kinds of credit to Schnupp. He got thrust into a tough spot, fought hard, and improved, but I'm not so sure he weighed as much as 125 the whole season. I'm hoping to see Teske on the podium, but considering we just have not seen anything from him, that's a tough ask.
133: Roman Bravo-Young. AA (8th) as a true freshman last year. I expect even higher this year. He's currently ranked around 5, and I think he'll be higher. Gross had back surgery, so who knows how that will go, plus RBY has already beaten Pletcher and RBY.
141: Nick Lee. Junior, 5th, 5th. With McKenna gone, Yianni redshirting, and other clearing out, 141 just isn't the same grinder that it was last year, and I think Lee has as good a shot as anybody at getting it done.
149: Probably Jared Verkleeren. But, Bo Pipher is there, too. Both guys were pushed out of the line-up, when Brady Berge sucked weight to get down there. When they were called upon, they wrestled well. Pipher was second at the Scuffle, losing to Jason Nolf in the finals. I think they're R12 guys this year.
157: Berge can finally eat, and will be a different wrestler because of it. Currently sitting around 10, but he will finish on the podium.
165: Vincenzo Joseph. Senior 1,1, 2. Man, there is a lot of talent in the 165 field, even with a couple of guys moving up or taking Olympic redshirts. I think Joseph comes back with a vengeance from his finals loss and avenges it. Just don't tell the Iowa guys I said it.
174: Mark Hall. Senior 1, 2, 2. This weight clears with Amine taking the Oly shirt, and Valencia moving up. I don't see anyone beating Mark this year.
184: Shakur Rasheed, Senior 7th as SO. With Valencia moving up here, I like Shakur's chances. For 2nd. No one else he can't beat in the field. The big question is whether he can manage his nerves in Minneapolis and get it done.
197: Michael Beard or Kyle Conel. Conel transferred in for his senior year. Conventional wisdom says Conel will be the guy for as long as his body holds up, giving Beard the chance to redshirt. However, if Beard is forced into the line-up, he is capable of winning it all. From everything I've heard, he's that good.
285: Anthony Cassar. What a story this kid has. From never qualifying for NJ championships until his senior year, and winning it, to a spot-start back-up role his Junior year to winning it all against the up and coming unbeatable freshman Steveson. Hard to count him out, particularly if he's been eating and working out like he did to get to 230-235. If he's 245-250, and Steveson hasn't done anything to improve his physique and gas tank, I think Cassar does it again.

Team: Battle Royale between us and Iowa. You know who I'm picking, but this one should go to Saturday night.

Truthfully they should have them raised during a match. Have Ash and Nick raise them with their fans in house. Get it done Jersey Boy
Glad you said that. Keep the banners under cover until it's time to raise them. Have Nick and Ash holding the cover, pulling it off as it's raised. Great recognition and great marketing opportunity.

Truthfully they should have them raised during a match. Have Ash and Nick raise them with their fans in house. Get it done Jersey Boy
Good idea. Will NS show or will it be just AA like the 2 recognitions at FB games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT