ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska football rumored to possibly be losing some conference rivals

Seems odd that the only source is a tweet from one WVU dude with 30K followers from 4 days ago.

Realignment gets crazier by the day so I suppose anything is possible, but if true this would be a whopper story. You’d think other media outlets would’ve jumped in on it if the rumor had any legs.

Ha ha, it's gotten to the point where the wild rumor that draws clicks doesn't even have to be revealed (made up), just the mention that there is a wild rumor. Like Spanky said, "Talk about making things up." This is one step worse even from that...

It is ridiculous. That said - there is a hole in the FSU / Clemson stuff. If the SEC and the BIG don’t want them, what is the point of the lawsuit to get out of the ACC? It doesn’t really make sense.

Reactions: dconifer
It is ridiculous. That said - there is a hole in the FSU / Clemson stuff. If the SEC and the BIG don’t want them, what is the point of the lawsuit to get out of the ACC? It doesn’t really make sense.
Isn’t it always about money … biggest payouts, especially football-based revenues?

Isn’t it always about money … biggest payouts, especially football-based revenues?

I’m still not buying it. They wouldn’t be starting this commotion with an expectation of landing in the B-12 under the current model. For what - to lug their team to tons of unexciting venues a ton of miles away across the southwest. It just makes no sense. How much better are B12 payouts anyway?

I’m not saying this over the top theory deserves any legs, but it qualifies a far fetched explanation which would fill that hole.

Having said that, I also see no reason why OSU or Michigan would want to give up their traditional rivals to play regular conference games against SEC teams unless they were forced into a situation where economically they had to leave. That would never be the case though since the only risk of the BIg brand being devalued would be if they left.

Reactions: Scarlet83
With the addition of Oklahoma and Texas, it was feasible that if the B1G snoozed and eventually let the SEC go west with a USC+ addition, that could have created the scenario where the SEC was enough of a superconference to compel OSU and Michigan to consider a move.

With the B1G adding USC, Oregon, etc., and having a better financial future with their contract opening up again before the SEC’s does, I can’t see a reason for anyone to leave the B1G.

Reactions: Scarlet83
With the addition of Oklahoma and Texas, it was feasible that if the B1G snoozed and eventually let the SEC go west with a USC+ addition, that could have created the scenario where the SEC was enough of a superconference to compel OSU and Michigan to consider a move.

With the B1G adding USC, Oregon, etc., and having a better financial future with their contract opening up again before the SEC’s does, I can’t see a reason for anyone to leave the B1G.
If Kevin Warren's incompetent ass was still the Commissioner here, I'd be maybe 5% worried something like the first paragraph happening. With Petitti and with the B1G hostile takeover of the West Coast, there's zero chance anyone in the B1G leaves.

The SEC is terrific in both football and men’s hoops. If the B1G added Notre Dame, I’d completely buy in on everything you wrote. Notre Dame has a huge football audience.

I think both Big 10 and SEC are playing coy with ACC poaching matter etc.

FSU and Clemson will join one of the conferences when all is said and done.

Neither Big 10 or SEC can afford to be complicit in this current legal matter and hence are acting as far as removed as can be with the matter until the conference implodes.

Mich or OSU seems way too farfetched. But it's a little less weird imagining the SEC going after a PSU. They'd need a few Eastern dance partners so they weren't on an island (cough cough) but I could see it - however very unlikely it is, I could maybe see it. At some point they'll probably need to expand out of the southeast, or risk the BIG doing the same to them.

Reactions: thegock
These rumors keep getting crazier and crazier. Mich or OSU leaving the Big Ten is stupidly ludicrous. You can't come up with one reason. Not money, not travel, not tradition, nothing.

It is just like the ACC is afraid of discovery. There is nothing in discovery that is not known already. Even JDS knows it, at least he tells us he does all the time. The ACC has air tight contracts and is going to enforce them. FSU and Clemson law suits are just big bluffs that are going to cost them a lot of money and a lot of animosity. As pointed out above, unless they can add 100 million dollars per year EACH in new revenue, the SEC and B1G are NOT interested. Look at the deal Oregon got. How do FSU and Clemson compare to Oregon?

Please try to apply some common sense to what you type. I know you can type anything you want on a message board, but please have some self respect.

• Wow
Reactions: RU at the shore
If Kevin Warren's incompetent ass was still the Commissioner here, I'd be maybe 5% worried something like the first paragraph happening. With Petitti and with the B1G hostile takeover of the West Coast, there's zero chance anyone in the B1G leaves.
You realize Warren was the one that did the hostile take over ?

Reactions: thegock
Well the Atlantic Coast Conf is no longer Atlantic, the Pac is dead and so maybe the Southeastern Conf can be a bit Northeastern with State Penn?!

I kin I kid…utter bullshit article.

There is a typo in the headline. They left out the word “to.” It should read:

Nebraska football rumored to possibly be losing TO some conference rivals​

Reactions: dconifer
You realize Warren was the one that did the hostile take over ?

I think what happened with Warren is that he started promising things to other networks like the Big10 title game and that pissed off FOX. As far as I heard, Warren also wanted OR and WA, just as FOX did, but no one wanted anything to do with Warren any more.... i guess to brash or imposing his will.... Not too sure , what i do know is FOX was pissed at him.

But to your point he was the one that did the hostile takeover..... I know some would say it fell on his lap, which is fine, but definitely not anything Petitti did. If anything Warren's personality postponed WA and OR and he cause that to fall on Petitti's lap.

200w.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT