ADVERTISEMENT

New 1869 Natty Champs t-shirts available!

The one is really like is that "1869 National Champions" shirt in red with the old-timey graphic of the player, which I can't seem to find anywhere (anymore).

Should really be co-champs at best. Princeton kicked Rutgers ass the 2nd time around.

So I have a question about 1869 and our "national championship". Maybe @Source can help out with this too. I recall seeing we played Princeton twice that year. We won the first game and they won the second. Is that right? So not to be a Debbie downer or anything, but either we lost the championship game (the second and final contest) or we are co-champions as we split the year with Princeton.

Reactions: MinaD20
So I have a question about 1869 and our "national championship". Maybe @Source can help out with this too. I recall seeing we played Princeton twice that year. We won the first game and they won the second. Is that right? So not to be a Debbie downer or anything, but either we lost the championship game (the second and final contest) or we are co-champions as we split the year with Princeton.
**** that. Have you seen all the national titles Pitt and some other schools "claim?" Princeton has plenty to claim. This one is ours lol!!

Officially, it is a split championship according to the NCAA. Which is not uncommon in College Football. https://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs

Post it if you find a link. I'd love a serious one

I think this is it. Although some of the format looks a bit different than when I'd first seen it (on this site) a couple of years ago:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rutgers-scarlet-knights-1869-football-1732059736

I don't think the Block R was included and, instead, the player was centered on the t-shirt. Of course, I could just be remembering incorrectly. I remember, at the time, that one of the folks on this board was mentioning that he had one (and was advertising this as well).

I think this is it. Although some of the format looks a bit different than when I'd first seen it (on this site) a couple of years ago:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rutgers-scarlet-knights-1869-football-1732059736

I don't think the Block R was included and, instead, the player was centered on the t-shirt. Of course, I could just be remembering incorrectly. I remember, at the time, that one of the folks on this board was mentioning that he had one (and was advertising this as well).

Cool thanks. It's better but not, something I'd wear. What's with Mr Magoo rushing the ball? LOL

I would wear a serious looking, throwback themed 1869 Champs shirt.

Reactions: Scarlet Jerry
Cool thanks. It's better but not, something I'd wear. What's with Mr Magoo rushing the ball? LOL

I would wear a serious looking, throwback themed 1869 Champs shirt.

I'm with you. This (or, the original which looked something like this) was the only thing I'd ever found which was close. Let me know if you are ever able to find one.

I'm with you. This (or, the original which looked something like this) was the only thing I'd ever found which was close. Let me know if you are ever able to find one.

Will post. Obviously there's a market for well done, maybe throwback, National Champs apparel.

But Rutgers gonna Rutgers.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Should really be co-champs at best. Princeton kicked Rutgers ass the 2nd time around.
Different rules. Source just had a post saying how a 3rd game.. using the first games rules.. was cancelled by the administrations. But I know the teams met secretly and played the game..
schiano-and-it-worked-out.gif

The one is really like is that "1869 National Champions" shirt in red with the old-timey graphic of the player, which I can't seem to find anywhere (anymore).
My wife got me that for Christmas a few years ago. It's like my favorite shirt lol.

November, 6, 1869 - Rutgers 6 Princeton 4
New Brunswick, NJ College Field

November 13, 1869 Princeton 8 Rutgers 0
Princeton, NJ Varsity Grounds

November 27, 1869 at New Brunswick, NJ College Field
Game cancelled by each schools' presidents.

Rutgers and Princeton selected as co-National Champions by the National Championship Foundation (1869-2000) and Parke Davis (1869-1933).

Princeton selected as National Champions by the Billingsley Report (1869-2006).

November, 6, 1869 - Rutgers 6 Princeton 4
New Brunswick, NJ College Field

November 13, 1869 Princeton 8 Rutgers 0
Princeton, NJ Varsity Grounds

November 27, 1869 at New Brunswick, NJ College Field
Game cancelled by each schools' presidents.

Rutgers and Princeton selected as co-National Champions by the National Championship Foundation (1869-2000) and Parke Davis (1869-1933).

Princeton selected as National Champions by the Billingsley Report (1869-2006).
Selected, huh? Nope. RU 1869 Champs.

2nd time don't count, it was an exhibition game , first game was an official regular season match-up,.
So unless you're a Princeton fan and want to ruin the fun, Rutgers won the 1869 National Championship and the cheating Princeton sore losers lied to the Championship Foundation and Parke Davis about the second game being the real thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Leave it to Rutgers fans to crap on Rutgers. Some of you are unreal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT