ADVERTISEMENT

New Commencement Speaker: Tom Kean Sr.

Originally posted by charlie4change:
Hello,

Please see our article on today's announcement from Rutgers
http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article/former-nj-governor-thomas-kean-replaces-rice-rutgers-commencement-speaker

Charlie Kratovil
Editor, New Brunswick Today
That's really good of Kean. He is 79 years old, and it's good he feels that he can still do this kind of thing..

A really good choice. He has something to say I imagine. He is a great man, true public servant. Most importantly to those of us on this board he has publicly said that the Trenton politicians (and the newspapers) should let Rutgers solve its own problems.

Originally posted by camdenlawprof:

Hello,

http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article/former-nj-governor-thomas-kean-replaces-rice-rutgers-commencement-speaker

Charlie Kratovil
That's really good of Kean. He is 79 years old, and it's good he feels that he can still do this kind of thing..
79 is not too old IMO for this kind of thing. It's not like he is climbing Kilimanjaro. LOL

And I am trying to figure out what "Jr." has really done that we need to have "Sr." listed after dad's name? When I hear the name Tom Kean, I only think of one guy.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Hello,

Charlie Kratovil
79 is not too old IMO for this kind of thing. It's not like he is climbing Kilimanjaro. LOL

And I am trying to figure out what "Jr." has really done that we need to have "Sr." listed after dad's name? When I hear the name Tom Kean, I only think of one guy.
You're evidently far younger than I am. I've met a fair number of 79 year olds who, for physical or mental reasons, would not be able to deliver a speech of this length in this kind of complex ceremony.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

Hello,

Charlie Kratovil

You're evidently far younger than I am. I've met a fair number of 79 year olds who, for physical or mental reasons, would not be able to deliver a speech of this length in this kind of complex ceremony.
At a THEN 77 my Dad joined me by running onto the field after the Cincy win to end the 2005 season. He was mad at me for not asking him to do the same after the Navy game earlier in the season...."I am not missing this one!"

This year he still plans on making the trek in from whatever Lot we get and climbing to our seats in the Upper Deck for the 2014 Inaugural B1G season.

Another reason to like Gov. Kean

Emphasis is mine.

Star Ledger Kean - Byrne Q & A May 19, 2014
Q: A proposal in the Legislature would limit college costs by freezing four years of tuition for some entering students. Appealing as this sounds, is it practical?

BYRNE: I defer to a former college president.

KEAN: It sounds wonderful, but I think it's impractical. You can't freeze costs if your labor costs are going up 4 to 5 percent a year, your constructions costs are going up and your faculty wants raises. Normally, I'd be for anything that holds down costs, but this sounds like and impractical way of doing that. Part of the problem is that the state has been cutting higher education funding for the last 15 years. Perhaps the Legislature could address that.

This post was edited on 5/20 8:11 AM by srru86

Bergen Record
$25,000 for a graduation speaker, no joke; but many schools get bang without bucks[/URL]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT