ADVERTISEMENT

New frat house opening

When I was in high school in Orlando, Florida in 1966, I was recruited to be a member. The high school guys in it appeared to be drips, and so I never followed through. Not all of the other Jewish kids belonged; one of my classmates was the son of the rabbi of the conservative congregation (then the largest in town), and I do not believe he joined. I will try to check.

IMG_20140407_080525.jpg

Great location right behind the College Ave. gym and a nice new building with some Old World charm.

I thought AEPi was the Jewish fraternity?

ZBT was everybody back in the day, no? Not just Jewish.

When I was there there were three Jewish frats- Sammy, ZBT, and AEPi.

What's in the AEPi house now then? They had one of the nicer ones.

zbt has all jewish members and has been around for a while.

The other frats had mostly jewish members, but it wasn't a requirement.

This is surprising, I had no idea this project was going on. I really wish there was a central location for greek life like most big schools have. Greek life will continue to be spread all over college ave for the foreseeable future.

I like seeing the new housing options for the Greek system but I'm curious about the financials and the details. I wonder if this is more in the mold of the old traditional format that require large numbers of live-in members (18 bedrooms sounds that way). I think the trends at Rutgers have shown that unless you provide quality living it's hard to get a large number of members to live in-house. That doesn't mean this can't work but they will need to probably focus more on making sure the house amenities are competitive with new apts and dorms being built.

I would love to see the plans for a Rutgers Greek complex be revived. I think if the university and system worked together it could be a huge positive for the system and for the university.

Originally posted by PeteGiam07:
zbt has all jewish members and has been around for a while.

The other frats had mostly jewish members, but it wasn't a requirement.

This is surprising, I had no idea this project was going on. I really wish there was a central location for greek life like most big schools have. Greek life will continue to be spread all over college ave for the foreseeable future.
What is considered a while?

The old one (mid to late 80s) on Union Street I don't recall being totally Jewish.
Maybe their national didn't know?

As an alumni of ZBT's Beta Delta chapter at Rutgers, I can shed some light...
I'm not Jewish by the way.

ZBT, founded as a Jewish fraternity at CCNY in 1898, is a non-sectarian fraternity (nationally), and has ben since 1954.

The BD chapter was founded in 1945 and was located at 26 Union St. for many years. The original house was destroyed in a fire around 1990.
This post was edited on 4/25 1:22 PM by Scarlet16E

I am also an alumni of ZBT (class of 72)) and lived for a while at the house on 26 Union St. As mentioned there were 3 national "Jewish" : ZBT, AEP, and Sammie (Siigma Alpha Mu). The fraternities were founded because Jews weren't allowed to join other national fraternities. By the seventies they weren't exclusively Jewish, (the president of beta delta, the Rutgers chapter, was an Italian named Mario). A note of trivia: ZBT was the original founder and sponsor of the Dance Marathon which was held at the Barn.

This post was edited on 4/25 10:29 PM by virginiaru

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT