ADVERTISEMENT

Football News/Notes/Photos from practice No. 1 — 8/01

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ

PHOTO ALBUM: https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/photos-rutgers-football-training-camp-practice-number-one

LIMITED: OL Reggie Sutton and DB Malik Dixon

Let’s get it started right away with the quarterbacks. Art still looks the best out of all the quarterbacks out there today. However let’s see how he does scrimmage time. Right now it’s still Art’s job to lose.

As for transfer McLane Carter, he looks solid but appeared to be taking it easy a bit. There didn’t seem to be a whole lot of power behind his throws either, but overall he didn’t look bad. It’s still early and hard to tell how good he can be without seeing him in a scrimmage or game type format.

Switching to the wideouts, I’m sticking with my prediction that Daevon Robinson will lead the team in receptions this year. He looked very good early in practice, picking up right where he left off in the spring.

True freshman Stanley King also flashed a little. He is just as tall if not taller than Daevon Robinson. As long as he can put on some muscle, he has a chance to be a good one. I have a feeling UL is going to regret losing him.

The starting offensive line is pretty much the same as in spring. One thing to note was that Michael Maietti was absent from practice today, Owen Bowles was playing in his place.

Just like in spring, Jay Valai was the most vocal of the coach out there today. Overall his position groups looks solid.

Sticking with the CBs, Avery Young has future captain written all over him. He was helping Valai to lead most of the cornerback drills.

Adam Korsak might still have two more seasons, but Rutgers has a solid backup already in true freshman David Broncati. Punted a couple solid balls and is a legit 6-6, 250lbs.

**The starters in most, if not all drills were the same as spring. With the addition of Turner, since he missed most of spring.**

Two notable visitors at practice today:
San Francisco 49ers area scout Tariq Ahmed
Malka Sports VP of talent Kevin Malast

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News