ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Could Be A Good Draft Year for Rutgers

Even more weird, I was told the coach who was here when those players arrived couldn't recruit.

Flood's recruiting was flat-out awful because they completely lacked QUALITY DEPTH (as many of have said a million times over now...). Are there some talented kids within his classes? Absolutely, HOWEVER, you do NOT build a program off classes filled with kids who nobody else at our level wanted then, on top of it, not develop them (on or off the field).

Flood's recruiting was flat-out awful because they completely lacked QUALITY DEPTH (as many of have said a million times over now...). Are there some talented kids within his classes? Absolutely, HOWEVER, you do NOT build a program off classes filled with kids who nobody else at our level wanted then, on top of it, not develop them (on or off the field).
C'mon Nuts! That's not fair. Flood developed some of these men into criminals, drug users and kids that couldn't pass cake walk classes!

Reactions: CCvNYC
From the OP's list:

Guys with no more eligibility after this year:
Grant - Legitimate shot at 4th round or better, provided he stays healthy and doesn't lose a step
Miller, Joseph, Martin, Hicks - Need a very good year to look at later rounds.
Turay, Mitchell, Bolin, Edwards - Need a killer year to get any draft attention.

Guys with one more year of eligibility after this year:
Cole, Austin - Legitimate shot at 4th rd or better if they stay 2 years; need killer year to leave early
Hampton - Needs a very good year this year and next to see draft attention

Two years of eligibility left after this year:
Washington - Has so far done nothing on the field to warrant speculation.

So, realistically, probably looking at 1-3 guys drafted next year... and maybe 1-3 again the year after that.

From the OP's list:

Guys with no more eligibility after this year:
Grant - Legitimate shot at 4th round or better, provided he stays healthy and doesn't lose a step
Miller, Joseph, Martin, Hicks - Need a very good year to look at later rounds.
Turay, Mitchell, Bolin, Edwards - Need a killer year to get any draft attention.

Guys with one more year of eligibility after this year:
Cole, Austin - Legitimate shot at 4th rd or better if they stay 2 years; need killer year to leave early
Hampton - Needs a very good year this year and next to see draft attention

Two years of eligibility left after this year:
Washington - Has so far done nothing on the field to warrant speculation.

So, realistically, probably looking at 1-3 guys drafted next year... and maybe 1-3 again the year after that.

I agree with this list, however, I think the fourth is probably the highest Grant would go because of his limitations at WR. And I think everyone else needs to have a great year to warrant draft consideration. Hicks had 150 yards rushing last year and no touchdowns, why would he get drafted? And although Turay is a monster and I understand the injuries but he really hasn't done anything in over two years.

I think some people are underestimating just how valued an athletic rush-end like Turay is going to be in the NFL draft if he stays healthy this season.
He played in only 8 games last year, no starts, 2 sacks and one additional tackle. Certainly not draft worthy wont even be signed as a free agent unless he completely turns it around to his redshirt freshman season plus a lot! Ash was speaking about them needing him to be the player they thought he could be. From all accounts he had a good spring but no one drafts off spring training.

Last edited:
Reactions: madchuck
Michael Burton was a walk-on, but he has to be considered as part of those 2010-12 "classes." He is a good example of player development, like the kid from Temple who had no offers and went in the first round. Tariq Cole is another example--recruited by the previous staff, but the current staff is doing a fantastic job in conditioning and development with him.
Agree that Dunleavy's article is a little overboard with potential draft picks for next year. Two or three would be great, but the more the better.

One of the mods in a conversation with Flood told me that Cole was the best offensive lineman since Davis. Not to take anything away from his development last year, but I think the coaches knew what Cole was early on. I think if people are truly objective while Flood was over his head to be a BIG Head Coach, there were some individuals that he brought in like Turay and Cole, that are elite players. Meanwhile, many of the players Schiano brought in may have had better rankings and more offers, but his last few classes were short on NFL caliber players.

Meanwhile, many of the players Schiano brought in may have had better rankings and more offers, but his last few classes were short on NFL caliber players.

His last few classes were short on NFL caliber players?

Players from those classes currently listed on NFL.com:
2009 - Tom Savage, Logan Ryan, Mohamed Sanu, Duron Harmon
2010 - Brandon Coleman, Michael Burton
2011 - Quentin Gause, Kevin Snyder, Tyler Kroft, Kaleb Johnson
2012 - Leonte Carroo, Steve Longa (Agudosi and Muller currently signed as free agents)

One of the mods in a conversation with Flood told me that Cole was the best offensive lineman since Davis. Not to take anything away from his development last year, but I think the coaches knew what Cole was early on. I think if people are truly objective while Flood was over his head to be a BIG Head Coach, there were some individuals that he brought in like Turay and Cole, that are elite players. Meanwhile, many of the players Schiano brought in may have had better rankings and more offers, but his last few classes were short on NFL caliber players.

Cole and Turay aren't elite. Stop it. They are okay. Elite is Ray Rice, Leonte Carroo, Anthony Davis, Devin McCourty, Khaseem Greene, Brian Leonard. Turay and Cole aren't even all conference or anything. If they entered the 2017 draft they would both be UFA. The only player who was elite last year was Grant. And that's only as a return guy not a receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT