ADVERTISEMENT

No. 11 Rutgers lacrosse struggles mightily against No. 6 Army

Army is very good. Right now we aren’t/. The guys we lost have completely changed the complexion of the team.

The D needs to get much better. They are now very green and have a freshman in goal. There is talent but they need to communicate much better. We may get our alpha back at the end of the season. I would t count on it though. We need to get Kelly back at attack. Kulas and Krummancher are tough to be on the field at the same time. Neither one can beat their man consistently and it puts tons of pressure on Scott. Kulas had the worst game I’ve seen from him.. he missed numerous finishes and that is his role. If he can’t do that he’s a liability. Krummanacher from the lefty spot offered very little. Kelly is another guy that can carry and can shoot. Defenses must account for him. As it is they can focus on Scott and force someone else to beat you. Outside of Knobloch few could.

This team was not built the way we see it today. They have to keep grinding and getting better. Our shortsticks got destoyed today. Just horrible all the way around. There is no other options. Get better at every level or plan on an early summer.

With injuries to key players impacting the team this much (and of course losing some players hurts more than others) - it speaks to RU’s recruiting and lack of quality depth. This is been an issue for some time.

Season only gets harder. Loyola has lots of quality and UMass had Army on the ropes in ATL opening weekend.

Hope the guys are up for it.

Just for reference I was at Homewood yesterday for the Charles Street Battle…

It was chippy and physical and the final score is deceiving…it was a tight game until Loyola started chasing in the last 3 minutes and Hop scored 3 essentially empty netters in the last 2:30 of the game

Game was tied 3-3 at half

Hop was up 7-5 at the end of 3rd qtr

Loyola scored to make it 7-6 with 12 min left in the game…

It was a 2 goal game 9-7 Hop as late as 6 min left in the game…

Loyola had multiple opportunities to tighten it up in the last 5 minutes to make it a 2 goal game…but couldn’t make the play they needed

Both team had excellent goaltending. Both Hopkins and Loyola have very good goalies

Again my only point is people are gonna look at the final score and say Hop blew out Loyola 13-7….that was not the case

Rutgers will be desperate and angry next week…but Loyola will be just as desperate…

Should be a very good game next week at Ridley.

I’ll be there…

PS…Army is just flat out elite right now. Legit top 5-7 team

Just for reference I was at Homewood yesterday for the Charles Street Battle…

It was chippy and physical and the final score is deceiving…it was a tight game until Loyola started chasing in the last 3 minutes and Hop scored 3 essentially empty netters in the last 2:30 of the game

Game was tied 3-3 at half

Hop was up 7-5 at the end of 3rd qtr

Loyola scored to make it 7-6 with 12 min left in the game…

It was a 2 goal game 9-7 Hop as late as 6 min left in the game…

Loyola had multiple opportunities to tighten it up in the last 5 minutes to make it a 2 goal game…but couldn’t make the play they needed

Both team had excellent goaltending. Both Hopkins and Loyola have very good goalies

Again my only point is people are gonna look at the final score and say Hop blew out Loyola 13-7….that was not the case

Rutgers will be desperate and angry next week…but Loyola will be just as desperate…

Should be a very good game next week at Ridley.

I’ll be there…

PS…Army is just flat out elite right now. Legit top 5-7 team

Followed the game via box score while it was played. FOs were 50-50 at the half but then Hopkins dominated in the 2nd.

With injuries to key players impacting the team this much (and of course losing some players hurts more than others) - it speaks to RU’s recruiting and lack of quality depth. This is been an issue for some time.

Season only gets harder. Loyola has lots of quality and UMass had Army on the ropes in ATL opening weekend.

Hope the guys are up for it.
There aren’t too many teams that can lose their top guys at two positions and the second best at another and be very impacted. It’s completely changed how we play. Gotta get better and the players who need to step up didn’t yesterday.

We missed a number of great looks in tight and the team just got clammed up from there.

No other response but to get better. Loyola is going to be tough and provides another opportunity for a good win.

The good news is looks like we will get all three injured kids back at some point this year.
Gonna need to find a way to grind out wins until then. Loyola, Princeton and UMass are going to be tough games. We’re have to win at least one or we are likely out of the tournament before conference play even starts. Two would be better. The B1G is going to be a grind as usual.

If we can somehow manage to stay in contention, we should be able to finish strong if we’re get those players back. Would be great if we can get one or two back before conference play starts.

Gonna need to find a way to grind out wins until then. Loyola, Princeton and UMass are going to be tough games. We’re have to win at least one or we are likely out of the tournament before conference play even starts. Two would be better. The B1G is going to be a grind as usual.

If we can somehow manage to stay in contention, we should be able to finish strong if we’re get those players back. Would be great if we can get one or two back before conference play starts.

Loyola has been weak on faceoffs so far this year. If Rutgers can win 60% plus that could be key.

Honestly, not surprised by the loss and kind of thought this was going to be a loss. The games against Army are usually tough, our best team of 2022 even struggled against Army (but for RU having that amazing 1st period, could easily have been a loss - Army would go on to score more goals than RU after the 1st in 2022). Figured with the injuries it was going to be tough for the defense.

However, did not expect the lopsided score and the struggles by the attack. Kulas can be so inconsistent - last year he also struggled against Army, then went on to score 3 goals against Loyola. I'm just guessing it's some matchup issue?

I could definitely be wrong but I feel like we gotta go 2-1 here to expect any realistic post season play.

Reactions: Caliknight
3-0 is the goal. We get two those games at home. Army aside, that is where we usually play very well. One at a time though.

Loyola presents another challenge. Different from Army. Army is more one on one based. Loyola loves to make teams slide and move the ball for open looks. We may give up a few but I would be very slow to slide.

Loyola's has some faceoff woes. If we can win the battle there and control the ball on offense it will help immensely. They are coming in in desperate need of a win too so it will be a battle.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Watched the game again over lunch. We had a chance to be up 4-1 and didn't convert looks that you have to have. We do that, maybe they play a little tighter. As it is, they used the momentum and never let us get on the run that good teams convert on. Multiple goal swings from there.

It's a hard game to watch if you are an R fan. Dunks we didn't convert led to open shots on the other end they buried. Our D is a mess but it's things you can tighten up. We slid in areas that you simply can't do. In second view, our D mids got taken advantage of, but not to the degree I initially thought during the game. What I see is a lack of trust causing us to slide unnecessarily which essentially created offense. I saw this a number of times where our shortsticks would be in decent position, and the long pole would slide horizontally creating an open look from the midde of the field 12-15 yards out. You simply can't do that at this level. It's all on tape. These guys need to learn from this. The good news is it is fixable but our DC really needs to step and coach these guys. These are mistakes that are mental. Not physical. And those you can't live with. Same on picks at GLE. Simply communication breakdowns led to hands free. Our freshman goalie needs more help. A few that were let in that shouldn't have gone but the kid was looking down the barrel the entire day. Communication and togetherness. We made Army's job easy not having those things. If we don't clean that up before next week Loyola will feast.

Reactions: gef21 and Wagram97
I guess I’m going to have to recuse myself from discussion this week…

In a very rare situation, I realize I’m probably on the wrong side (at least for this board) this week 😏🤨

Sorry gang

Reactions: Caliknight
I could definitely be wrong but I feel like we gotta go 2-1 here to expect any realistic post season play.
Most likely, yeah. But going 0-fer pretty much puts us out of contention regardless of B1G results, short of winning the B1G tourney. Going undefeated in the B1G regular season and losing in the B1G championship game might not be enough to overcome losing 4 games OOC. And in reality if we lose those games there is almost no chance of going undefeated in conf play.

If we drop 3 OOC games the path is difficult but not impossible, depending on how the B1G shakes out. Drop 2 and finish near the top of B1G standing we’re in decent shape. If Army is our only OOC loss then conference play will be the sole determinant of whether it not we get in.

Conference play is very important. We lost 1 game OOC and went 1-4 after a key injury and didn’t make it.

This year almost feels like the reverse of last year. Hopefully we get our guys back and go on a run. One at a time. Starts with Loyola this week. Knowing Brecht teams and the guys, I’d be really surprised if we don’t play much better and extremely hard Sat.

Reactions: Wagram97
Conference play is very important. We lost 1 game OOC and went 1-4 after a key injury and didn’t make it.

This year almost feels like the reverse of last year. Hopefully we get our guys back and go on a run. One at a time. Starts with Loyola this week. Knowing Brecht teams and the guys, I’d be really surprised if we don’t play much better and extremely hard Sat.
Let's hope you are right. No idea of how long they are going to be out and it's going to take a little time for them to get into game shape. Right now I think the biggest need is to get Kelly back. If he contributes like he did in that last scrimmage, it will allow for some much needed runs, and that helps prevent the D from getting gassed. Hopefully they can get him in to some games soon.

If we are able to get them all back by April, it would be huge. In the meantime, you are getting others some valuable experience that hopefully they can build on. Just have to hang tough.

Agree. Kelly is probably the one that had the chance to come back the fastest.

it speaks to RU’s recruiting and lack of quality depth.

Speaking of depth- I went to the Princeton, Monmouth game on Sunday and one of the Monmouth players caught my eye as a prototypical BIG or ACC midfielder with size, speed, decent dodging and might look good in red. I looked him up (#2) and there is Matt Dollive, lol.

I don't know why he left RU but playing in only his fourth college game he was holding his own against Princeton and looked to have a skillset that would have served us well down the road.

That said #24 was Monmouth's best field player on the day.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Speaking of depth- I went to the Princeton, Monmouth game on Sunday and one of the Monmouth players caught my eye as a prototypical BIG or ACC midfielder with size, speed, decent dodging and might look good in red. I looked him up (#2) and there is Matt Dollive, lol.

I don't know why he left RU but playing in only his fourth college game he was holding his own against Princeton and looked to have a skillset that would have served us well down the road.

That said #24 was Monmouth's best field player on the day.
I love when kids stay home. My coworkers kid committed to High Point and had a change of heart and stayed home for Monmouth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT