ADVERTISEMENT

On the Banks: Here Comes the Hype Train

This is the first time in forever I'll be putting expectations on a RU hoops team. Next season has to be NIT minimum.

While I agree there should be some form of expectations on the team next year, I have a question for you... when you say "Has to be NIT minimum"... what happens if they finish 18-12 but it's a strong group of eligible teams next year and they're the first team out of the NIT?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
While I agree there should be some form of expectations on the team next year, I have a question for you... when you say "Has to be NIT minimum"... what happens if they finish 18-12 but it's a strong group of eligible teams next year and they're the first team out of the NIT?
18-12 w/o a post season will still be a disappointment. We've got the horses, we've got the depth, and the fan base is energized. It's our year to take the next step. If we don't, the perception will be "same old Rutgers".

Reactions: wheezer
The basement is a winning season. It's something we haven't done in over a decade!
NIT is a reasonable expectation but people (still) don't get that it's not as easy to get into as it was 10 years ago. Different criteria.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Scangg
Expectations are going to be high. Unless one player breaks out to the upside and becomes a star my base case will probably be 9-3 8-12 ish.

We have a lot of pieces and depth is important. Unless there is a decent amount of improvement the needle moves slightly, but probably not enough.

Anything less than a .500 season would be a disappointment to me.

But this is the first season in a long while that I legitimately had some expectation that we could make the NIT, and the first stirrings of "hey, if all the cards fall right, we could dance"...

I'm still not thinking we have a greater than 50% chance at the postseason (or greater than 2% chance at the NCAA tourney)... but they're still much higher expectations than I've had in a long while.

Expectations are going to be high. Unless one player breaks out to the upside and becomes a star my base case will probably be 9-3 8-12 ish.

We have a lot of pieces and depth is important. Unless there is a decent amount of improvement the needle moves slightly, but probably not enough.
Our best case scenario is to win one more B1G game than last year? That's obviously not the best case. If that is the BEST case than you're saying we are more likely to take a step back this year which is hard to imagine

Reactions: Unionst
The conference is pretty weak there is a great window of opportunity for the basketball team in the next 10 months both on and off the court.

Our best case scenario is to win one more B1G game than last year? That's obviously not the best case. If that is the BEST case than you're saying we are more likely to take a step back this year which is hard to imagine

Reread my post....BASE case, not BEST case.

Reactions: Scangg
The conference is pretty weak there is a great window of opportunity for the basketball team in the next 10 months both on and off the court.

I am not going to subscribe to this. Not saying that you are definitely wrong, but as of May 28th you have 12 teams that, on paper, look to be very competitive.

Take bart preseason numbers with a Costco size Morton container of salt....

The 13th worst team in 2020 is Indiana and they are ranked 58th. If you take NW out of the equation. The average B10 team is 29th.

Last year, taking out NW, the average team was 36th.

2019 team 2020
4 Michigan 39
6 Michigan state 1
9 Purdue 5
18 Wisconsin 21
26 Maryland 12
32 PSU 24
42 Iowa 48
45 OSU 19
46 Nebby 55
47 Minny 42
53 Indy 58
68 Illy 17
76 RU 37
78 NW 141

39 Average 37

Reactions: RutgHoops
BEAR 7-4 5-15 0-1 12-20 Eugene hurt AND/OR lose a bunch of close games AND/OR chemistry takes a hit with guys not liking their role AND/OR B1G really tough

BASE 8-3 8-12 1-1 17-16 Team is vastly improved. Future looks very bright. Next season could be the one, BUT replacing Eugene and the potential poaching of PIKE are big question marks

BULL 9-2 11-9 1-1 21-12 On the right side of the bubble, although we sweat.

Reactions: RUPete and gregkoko
BEAR 7-4 5-15 0-1 12-20 Eugene hurt AND/OR lose a bunch of close games AND/OR chemistry takes a hit with guys not liking their role AND/OR B1G really tough

BASE 8-3 8-12 1-1 17-16 Team is vastly improved. Future looks very bright. Next season could be the one, BUT replacing Eugene and the potential poaching of PIKE are big question marks

Pike isn't getting poached from a 17-16 team. There's just no precedent for a high-major coach with no tournament appearances getting hired to a bigger job.

Pike isn't getting poached from a 17-16 team. There's just no precedent for a high-major coach with no tournament appearances getting hired to a bigger job.

There is no precedent of a high major coach taking a team with at 29 year drought to .500 and 1 year away from breaking the drought

There is no precedent of a high major coach taking a team with at 29 year drought to .500 and 1 year away from breaking the drought

Was Chris Collins a candidate for other jobs after year 3? Was anybody beating down Wayne Tinkle's door when he took Oregon State to the tournament in year 2?

I see Pike as more of a program builder than someone who is just always looking for something better.

Also, once we start putting up 20 win seasons and making the tournament, Rutgers will be a great place to be. In the B1G with so much NJ/NY talent to recruit from without the lack of success to battle uphill for top recruits. His next contract will come when Rutgers has its full B1G money share so we should be able to cough up the money to keep him here and happy

I see Pike as more of a program builder than someone who is just always looking for something better. I AGREE WITH THIS TO A POINT

Also, once we start putting up 20 win seasons and making the tournament, Rutgers will be a great place to be. THIS WILL ALWAYS BE A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TOWN, BUT I AGREE A BIT. In the B1G with so much NJ/NY talent to recruit from without the lack of success to battle uphill for top recruits. His next contract will come when Rutgers has its full B1G money share so we should be able to cough up the money to keep him here and happy IF THE MANDATE IS FOR THE ATHLETIC DEPT TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT THERE WONT BE A TON OF MONEY and FULL SHARE IS WAY DOWN THE ROAD

I see Pike as a guy who loves coaching and if he is like most people would like to make the most money he can. If he wins we are gonna have to extend him and pay him or someone will come and take him. Let’s get to 500 once before we get to crazy. Lots of IF’s going Into next season.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I hope the team can make the NIT, or the tournament.

I believe the team has the potential to do great things next year. I just hope they can continue to incorporate what Jay Young instilled in them defensively.

I assist my school's track team that just won the championships for the city of Philadelphia. I was talking to the head coach today and he mentioned that he has thoughts that this was the team that would be able to do it. The opportunity was there. I feel the same way about next year's Rutgers basketball team.

The only team on paper that appears to be weaker is Michigan but there's evidence based on having some unproven depth that's highly recruited that they'll still make the NCAAS. I have 8 teams making the NCAAS from the B1G right now.

Very realistic take on the possibilities.

Very realistic take on the possibilities.

I think this is a fair range...

I can’t say enough that the bull range is highly dependent on having this off season havibg this team coming out of the gate playing well

We have 8 non conference games against non power six teams, and two big ten games, and two power five game.

To think 19-11 or 20-12....we need a 10-2 start or better...

remember this team has to learn to win consistently something it has still not done yet AND it also will now at times be the hunted and not the hunter, how it responds to that and expecations are huge intangibles that programs who try to take the leap forward have difficulty overcoming

remember this team has to learn to win consistently something it has still not done yet AND it also will now at times be the hunted and not the hunter, how it responds to that and expecations are huge intangibles that programs who try to take the leap forward have difficulty overcoming

Yup...part of the reason why we need to come out hard on fast in early November

The only team on paper that appears to be weaker is Michigan but there's evidence based on having some unproven depth that's highly recruited that they'll still make the NCAAS. I have 8 teams making the NCAAS from the B1G right now.

I think Wisconsin is weaker on paper also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT