ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anti-Virus Software

RULoyal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
I've been using Kaspersky for my windows laptops for some time now but I have received emails recently from Digital River, authorized reseller of Kaspersky antivirus software stating your Kaspersky software will STOP updating after September 29, 2024, leaving your devices vulnerable to new and emerging cyber threats due to a recent U.S. ban on Russia-based cybersecurity company Kaspersky. I'm assuming this is true so any recommendations for replacements? Digital River recommends Bitdefender.

Operating systems are pretty tight these days
The last two years that I had AV apps on my system they blocked nothing and found nothing.
There are experts who claim the AV app is potential portal to problems since it has elevated privileges.
Keep system updated and an AV becomes useless pretty much.
I gave-up AV 2 years ago

Last edited:
Operating systems are pretty tight thee days
The last two years I had AV apps on my system they blocked nothing and found nothing.
There are experts who claim the AV app is potential portal to problems since it has elevated privileges.
Keep system updated and an AV becomes useless pretty much.
I gave-up AV 2 years ago

This. Ever since Windows bundled their solution with their OS, no need for a 3rd party av software. I can't remember the last time I had AV on any of the computers in my house.

Just don't go to sketchy sites or if you feel the need to, then download a Linux OS and run it in a virtual machine.

Reactions: ashokan
I guess I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. I use Chrome as my search engine on a Windows OS. I dumped Kaspersky when was broke out and there were multiple advisors warning about Kaspersky (whether real or not). I use Sophos on the recommendation of my IT guy who takes care of my old job site (a medical practice) and have been very happy so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT