All American
Nov 7, 2010
Off the top of my head
Early Wynn, Bob Lemon, Mike Garcia-- early 50's Indians
Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz-- Braves
Palmer, McNally, Cuellar--Orioles

2nd tier
Reynolds, Rashi, Lopat--late 40's early 50's Yankees

I kind of went by number of years pitching together & W-L records as I recall them.
Said as a Yankee fan

1969 Mets

Seaver
Koosman
Gentry
Don't think Gentry fits the bill.
Koufax, Drysdale, Podres- early to mod 60's Dodgers.
Almost included them, but though I really liked Podres didn't think he quite had the numbers.

I kind of went by number of years pitching together & W-L records as I recall them.

Almost included them, but though I really liked Podres didn't think he quite had the numbers.

Well if you are going multi-year what about #4, Nolan Ryan?

If you are going by one season, there's about 5 LA Dodger seasons in the past 10 years you could use. 2022 was ridiculous with Anderson, Urias, Gonselin, and Walker.

Off the top of my head
Early Wynn, Bob Lemon, Mike Garcia-- early 50's Indians
Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz-- Braves
Palmer, McNally, Cuellar--Orioles

2nd tier
Reynolds, Rashi, Lopat--late 40's early 50's Yankees
Indians won well over 100 games in 1954 to take AL title. Also had Bob Feller and Hal Newhouser and a couple of good relievers - Mossi and Narleski

Indians won well over 100 games in 1954 to take AL title. Also had Bob Feller and Hal Newhouser and a couple of good relievers - Mossi and Narleski
Yes they did, 111 to be exact. Glad to see someone besides me remembers all those Indian chuckers.

First year I collected baseball cards. Was a Giants fan so WS win over the Tribe was special
I'm biased.
The NY Giants were my favorite team until they moved, then like the Bums they left with have been on my permanent s#!t list.
(disclosure : older brother was a Dodger fan and that's probably why I became a Giant fan)
So my top 3 are from the 1954 Giants
Johnny Antonelli, Ruben Gomez and Sal "the Barber" Maglie

Going by multiple seasons together.

Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner are an oddity as far as big threes go because they pitched together for multiple seasons and won a few rings, but they weren’t all great at the same time.

Zito, Hudson, Mulder had a few nice seasons together, but didn’t win anything.

I'm biased.
The NY Giants were my favorite team until they moved, then like the Bums they left with have been on my permanent s#!t list.
(disclosure : older brother was a Dodger fan and that's probably why I became a Giant fan)
Don’t forget Jim Hearn

Reactions: MADHAT1
I'm biased.
Was going to post about that great Giant staff. In addition to Antonelli, Gomez & the great Sal "the Barber" Maglie they had Larry Jansen & "Jumbo" Jim Hearn--not to mention the unhittable knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm out of the pen.

In the late 50's I played against Al Corwin who came up with the Giants during the '51 season & went 6-0 earning their rookie of the year honors. He pitched for the Kingston Braves in the very heavy NY NJ league. Today would probably be equivalent to a Triple a league--full of former minor & some big leaguers at a time when the minors went from D ball to Triple A & there were only 8 teams in each of the American & National leagues. So tough to make it all the way up. Tons of guys spent years in the minors finally gave it up while still in their 20's & early 30's & continued to play semi-pro ball. NY NJ league was the best of several that I played in.

PS-lived in Brooklyn in the 40's & 50's. Huge Dodger fan.

Thinking it over, believe Spahn, Burdette & Bob Buhl of the late '50s Milwaukie Braves could be considered a top Big Three.

Last edited:
Four twenty game winners on the 71 Orioles ( yes I am an Orioles fan )is a record that will never be broken …( maybe tied ). The top 3 of Palmer,McNally and Cueller played a number of years together

1930’s Giants had Hubbell, Schumacher and Fitzsimmons. In 1933 Hubbell pitched in 45 games.

Agree somewhat on Podres. However, Koufax was so dominant.

Would add Mulder, Hudson, and Zito and Verlander, Gerit Cole, and Greinke.

Probably doesn't make the list but these guys had the following ERAs for the 1973 Mets.
- Seaver 2.08 ERA - 290 innings pitched!
- Stone 2.80 ERA - 148 innings
- Koosman 2.94 ERA - 263 innings
- Matlack 3.20 ERA - 242 innings
- Parker 3.35 - 97 innings
- Sadecki 3.39 - 116 inning

That is some consistent starting pitching. They only had an 82-80 record owing to an inept offense but this staff got them to within one win of a World Championship.

1986 Gooden, Darling and Fernandez were pretty good.. 2nd tier though in OP context. (oops, just saw someone got them into thread earlier today)

Hard to compare eras.. ERAs were much better back in the day... at least in the National League.

Isringhausen
Pulshiper
Wilson

Ok now an all time almost WTF

Roger Clemens drafted 81 wanted 10,000 bonus mets offered 5,000

Mike Scott traded in 82

Gooden drafted in 82

Gooden
Clemens
Scott 2 rings ?? 3 ??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT