ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Camp Chef Grills/Burners

mildone

Legend
Dec 19, 2011
I'm probably going to pick up one of these this week from Amazon. @RU4Real, I think you have the Explorer 2 (or 2X), if my memory serves. I have a few questions before I order.

Our tailgate crew already has a Weber portable grill for grilling. So I'm looking to supplement that grill with a reasonably powerful burner or two upon which I can use a large cast iron pan (for searing steaks, chops or whatever) or use a largish pot (for corn on the cobb, or soup, ...).

So my first question is if the Explorer is big enough for my 15" cast iron pan. Or should I go with the slightly larger Pro 60 (or 60X) with it's larger burners? Or should I order a 12" cast iron pan along with the new dual burner?

My second question is, is there a better product than the Camp Chef products? They appear to get universally great reviews, in part due to their flexibility and add-ons. The Camp Chef stuff is pretty inexpensive, although cost is secondary to a combination of quality and portability.

It's not mine, it belongs to another crew member, so I'm not sure which model it is, exactly. But I do know that my 15" cast iron pan fits on it just fine..

The quality of the Camp Chef gear is really good. Honestly, I don't know that I'd look at anything else. The accessories (grill box, griddle, pizza oven) are awesome kit, as well.

Reactions: mildone
I've got the Camp Chef 3x Expedition, which has 3 burners and I believe 30K BTU each. There are two distinct lines of the stove: 14" deep and 16" deep models. I believe all two-burner models are 14" deep and a designated as "blue" models and accessories as opposed to the "orange" 16" stoves and accessories.

As such, the two burner stoves aren't deep enough for a 15" pan and will stick out, and more so with the wind screen on one side if you use that.

The Camp Chef stoves are very useful in their versatility. You can use with a grill box, a griddle accessory and obviously as a stove. You might even fry small amounts of oil in a small pot (but enough juice to fry a turkey), or boil a small amount of water for steaming.

But if you don't plan on using with those accessories, it's probably overkill just to buy for use as a stove for a cast iron pan at your tailgate. You can buy a cheap,used coleman or sears stove (or I could sell you one ;-) for just an extra tailgate pot or two.

Also, another option would be an outdoor turkey fryer set up, also versatile if you get creative at your tailgates. You could use your 15" pan on it, boil/steam or fry large quantities of food, put a wok on it and stir fry and more. And it's much smaller and lighter to lug around, pack and set up. The camp chef grills and accessories are heavy.

I bring my turkey fryer stand to tailgates often, but have never brought the Camp Chef stove. I only use that and the camp chef accessories for longer-term camping.

My main go-to tailgate grill is the Coleman road-trip grill which comes with different grates (stove, griddle, etc.) for different purposes. You can use propane bottles with it,or the 20 lb tank. Shameless bump: I have too many grills and am looking to part with one of my road trip grills if you are interested.

It's not mine, it belongs to another crew member, so I'm not sure which model it is, exactly. But I do know that my 15" cast iron pan fits on it just fine..

The quality of the Camp Chef gear is really good. Honestly, I don't know that I'd look at anything else. The accessories (grill box, griddle, pizza oven) are awesome kit, as well.
I thought you were using a 15" pan on it. I'm thinking of searing filet mignon steaks this week, which I do at home all the time indoors. The 15" pan will make that job more efficient for sure.

I only saw it the one time and can't recall if it was the 14" explorer series or the 16" pro series. Can I trouble you to check in with him to see which it is?

I thought you were using a 15" pan on it. I'm thinking of searing filet mignon steaks this week, which I do at home all the time indoors. The 15" pan will make that job more efficient for sure.

I only saw it the one time and can't recall if it was the 14" explorer series or the 16" pro series. Can I trouble you to check in with him to see which it is?

Yep - I'll check and let ya know.

I've got the Camp Chef 3x Expedition, which has 3 burners and I believe 30K BTU each. There are two distinct lines of the stove: 14" deep and 16" deep models. I believe all two-burner models are 14" deep and a designated as "blue" models and accessories as opposed to the "orange" 16" stoves and accessories.

As such, the two burner stoves aren't deep enough for a 15" pan and will stick out, and more so with the wind screen on one side if you use that.

The Camp Chef stoves are very useful in their versatility. You can use with a grill box, a griddle accessory and obviously as a stove. You might even fry small amounts of oil in a small pot (but enough juice to fry a turkey), or boil a small amount of water for steaming.

But if you don't plan on using with those accessories, it's probably overkill just to buy for use as a stove for a cast iron pan at your tailgate. You can buy a cheap,used coleman or sears stove (or I could sell you one ;-) for just an extra tailgate pot or two.

Also, another option would be an outdoor turkey fryer set up, also versatile if you get creative at your tailgates. You could use your 15" pan on it, boil/steam or fry large quantities of food, put a wok on it and stir fry and more. And it's much smaller and lighter to lug around, pack and set up. The camp chef grills and accessories are heavy.

I bring my turkey fryer stand to tailgates often, but have never brought the Camp Chef stove. I only use that and the camp chef accessories for longer-term camping.

My main go-to tailgate grill is the Coleman road-trip grill which comes with different grates (stove, griddle, etc.) for different purposes. You can use propane bottles with it,or the 20 lb tank. Shameless bump: I have too many grills and am looking to part with one of my road trip grills if you are interested.
Good thoughts. Gives me some things to ponder. I'll check out some turkey fryers. Although they are generally kind of low to the ground and I'd mostly be using it with a cast iron pan or for soups or boiling stuff.

One thing about the Camp Chef stuff is I like is the pizza oven attachment. And the simplest of their grills (a 2 burner, 14" one) would work for a 15" pan because it has no splatter shield at the back, so any size pan would fit over the burner. Being lightweight isn't a priority for me, although if I were taking it camping it might be. But this will be for entirely for tailgating.

Yep - I'll check and let ya know.
Thanks. Were you guys in row 2 last week? We were in row 3 on the right-hand side. Thought I might've seen you up ahead and a handful of cars over to our right (closer to the field). Was gonna wander over and say hi, but got distracted and never made it.

Thanks. Were you guys in row 2 last week? We were in row 3 on the right-hand side. Thought I might've seen you up ahead and a handful of cars over to our right (closer to the field). Was gonna wander over and say hi, but got distracted and never made it.

It was just me & dad on Saturday. We were in the 2nd row about 4 cars from the center aisle. I bought a new tent for the season, it's a white 10x10. Pretty heavy duty, better than the last one.

It was just me & dad on Saturday. We were in the 2nd row about 4 cars from the center aisle. I bought a new tent for the season, it's a white 10x10. Pretty heavy duty, better than the last one.
Then it wasn't you I saw because we were maybe 10 cars in from the center and whoever I saw was to our right. I'll keep an eye out for the tent, and the Audi, next time.

Hopefully we can get a dry tailgate again. Based on the weather thread, it seems iffy. If not, although @RU848789 and I would both be fine with being there early even in bad weather, some in our regular tailgate crew may not. So we might wind up father back this week.

Well like I said, I have one and it's great but overkill if just for those limited uses. And there are tall turkey fryer stands on the market.

And I'd recommend buying used. It's not like a car which may have hidden issues or hi miles. See that it works and you're all set.

Well like I said, I have one and it's great but overkill if just for those limited uses. And there are tall turkey fryer stands on the market.

And I'd recommend buying used. It's not like a car which may have hidden issues or hi miles. See that it works and you're all set.
It's smart to buy used. I continually tell myself to do so. But I am stupidly unattached to money and never do. :)

I have the 3 burner camp chef model. Thing is very durable (have had it 10+ years). The griddle is the best attachment. You can cook everything on it. I also use a Weber Q and also have a Turkey fryer. Each has it's own purpose. If only having one thing, the camp chef is the most flexible. Only thing I was disappointed in was the grill box. Rotted out after a few seasons.

We have the Camp Chef Pro 90 3 burner with the grill box and griddle accessories. Thing works fantastic!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT