ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Comparing Media coverage of NJ HS Football and Texas HS Football

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
I rant about this every year, esp when I’m watching the Texas HS Football Finals right now on Bally Sports Network. But it’s a damm shame that while great HS FB states like Texas, Florida, California, Michigan, Washington, etc have GREAT, PROFESSIONAL TYPE COVERAGE on Bally Sports, NJ HS FB is on the cheese ball, one camera 💩 on NJ Dot Com with one of the most pompous, bootleg Bob Costas wannabe taking 17 words to say FIRST AND 10. Or you have some mumble mouth bastards working playoff games on NFHS who absolutely suck!

Rant over.

My brother lives down in Dallas. Check out the HS stadiums down in there. Different world.

Reactions: tico brown
My brother lives down in Dallas. Check out the HS stadiums down in there. Different world.
I’m pretty sure that the stadiums down there don’t have worn down turf, crooked goal posts, broken scoreboards and claustrophobic locker rooms like they do at Caven Point, Jersey City.

Reactions: Local Shill
It is all about money. In Texas the priority is to spend money on football. The sport is so important to almost every community. Hence the $50 million dollar stadiums and huge budgets. In NJ it is just not that important to most people therefore the coverage reflects that. Now if NJ had overall state champs for 50+ years I would bet that the coverage would be more different.

It is all about money. In Texas the priority is to spend money on football. The sport is so important to almost every community. Hence the $50 million dollar stadiums and huge budgets. In NJ it is just not that important to most people therefore the coverage reflects that. Now if NJ had overall state champs for 50+ years I would bet that the coverage would be more different.
Yeah the asinine setup of only playing to regional champs until the past 2 years in order to protect their precious Turkey Bowls caused every NJ state champ until the past 2 years to always have an asterisk next to it, IMO.

Complaining about poor televised HS football coverage strikes me as a strange priority. It seems many have lost any sense of overall context. In the near future, I can envision people complaining about poor media coverage of pee wee football.

Complaining about poor televised HS football coverage strikes me as a strange priority. It seems many have lost any sense of overall context. In the near future, I can envision people complaining about poor media coverage of pee wee football.
You have your opinions, i have mine. So you can strike whatever you want to strike.

I guess some Jersey kids are not to wonder why some of their friends online and from afar are on TV/ Online while they’re on a community TV level broadcast

Just like the people who complains about the lack of Thanksgiving Day Games that’s only for the alumni to come back, talk just amongst themselves about what happened in 1983 in the stands while ignoring the current kids and game on the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
I'm longing for the day NJ builds 20k high school stadiums like they have in Texas, complete with indoor fieldhouses

One can dream, right?

I'm longing for the day NJ builds 20k high school stadiums like they have in Texas, complete with indoor fieldhouses

One can dream, right?

When will they be needed? How many NJ teams draw more than 5000 per game?

When will they be needed? How many NJ teams draw more than 5000 per game?
I’d be happy with a home field with a functional turf that doesn’t turn into a swamp during rain storms, working scoreboards, goalposts that’s not crooked, and a press box where coaches don’t have to fear of falling through the roof.

Reactions: bigmatt718
That’s part of the issue, hs footvall
Isn’t very big here compared to other states
Actually the coverage in Jersey is pretty good. I live in south Florida and unless you are a state powerhouse like Thomas Aquinas or Heritage there is virtually no coverage in the Sun Sentinel. I have to go to my local hs web site to find the game schedule.

Actually the coverage in Jersey is pretty good. I live in south Florida and unless you are a state powerhouse like Thomas Aquinas or Heritage there is virtually no coverage in the Sun Sentinel. I have to go to my local hs web site to find the game schedule.
There’s actually some YouTube channels who does provide GREAT coverage like among others MORRIS SUSSEX SPORTS for North Jersey schools mostly above/around 78, D2 SPORTS NETWORK in Camden County, and CAPE ATLANTIC LIVE for the teams in the Cape Atlantic League.

However there’s plenty of others who are total jokes (that’s all I’m going to say). Then playoff time comes around, you have this Thesaurus Goof on NJ Com who will give you Alcohol Poisoning if you take a shot every time he says LINE OF GAIN. Meanwhile you got the classic Thanksgiving Weekend coverage of the 8 championship games at Detroit’s Ford Field. Or the California Teams going at it, or my favorite the Texas coverage with the one hour pre game and the ESPN Skycam. All on Bally Sports Network.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT