ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dick Hall dead at 92

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
We will never see his like again.The long time reliever did not do things conventionally.
At a time when many MLB players did not graduate from high school,Hall -unlike Mama Cas-graduated from Swarthmore,getting a degree in economics(a real one,not the AOC version).Although he was a top notch athlete,his pitching motion was described as resembling "A drunken giraffe on roller skates."Despite that delivery,he threw only one wild pitch in his 19 year career.
Early in his career,pitching and playing various spots in the field for the Pirates,he decided to play winter ball in Mazatlan,Mexico,where he set the league record for homers in a season and being called "The Babe Ruth of Mazatlan".
Still,he did better there off of the field,marrying a local beauty queen and eventually learning Spanish well enough to act as an interpreter for the Orioles to the Spanish press during the 1970 World Series.Said Brooks Robinson:"He speaks like Juan Valdez."
Hall confounded the great hitters,with Ted Williams and Yogi being among them.
Yogi noted:"The ball looks good to hit,but we don't hit it."
Along the way,Hall managed the pass the CPA exam,providing him with a non-baseball way of earning a living.
He suffered a stroke in 2001,but could still play golf until recently.
A life well lived.

waas mainly with the Orioles and part of two World Series winners with them if memory serves me correct .
RIP Dick Hall

Another person I've never heard off. These RIPs are getting ridiculous.
They’re quite relevant to the older folks who post and read this message board.

His death evokes memories.
For me it’s the 1969 Orioles and where I was as a little kid watching every pitch of the World Series.

It makes me think of Don Buford, Elrod Hendrix, Boog Powell and Mark Belanger….it’s all good.

Rip Dick!

Last edited:
He was before my time, but I had heard of him. Probably from my older brothers.

Another person I've never heard off. These RIPs are getting ridiculous.

Then why did you feel the need to open this thread and comment?

Reactions: Unionst
They’re quite relevant to the older folks who post and read this message board.

His death evokes memories.
For me it’s the 1969 Orioles and where I was as a little kid watching every pitch of the World Series.

It makes me think of Don Buford, Elrod Hendrix, Boog Powell and Mark Belanger….it’s all good.

Rip Dick!
Also ( being a Yankee hater) my favorite catcher Gus Triandos was on the roster with Dick
( at the time didn't know he became an Oriole because he couldn't beat out Yogi, but that wouldn't even have mattered because even the Mick was on my he's a yankee can not root for list.)

Also ( being a Yankee hater) my favorite catcher Gus Triandos was on the roster with Dick
( at the time didn't know he became an Oriole because he couldn't beat out Yogi, but that wouldn't even have mattered because even the Mick was on my he's a yankee can not root for list.)
Hating a team is just as much fun as loving a team.
It’s great because every team playing your hated team becomes your favorite for a night.😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT