ADVERTISEMENT

OT: favorite horror movies?

Don't watch much horror sans this election and FOX News now.

Jaws was my favorite. One scary "Minor" movie (made $22 millon but made back $8 million production cost) I saw a few times a few years ago was"The Ruins" (2008). "The Ruins", I believe was an Australian made movie about tourists? in Mexico? who went to party. Friends wondered off to see the ruins. They get caught on a famous? Maya? ruin/hill looking for their friends who they deem fell down a hole up top the ruin.

The partiers find themselves stuck. The locals surround the Hill/run knowing there is some sort of microorganism in the hill (in poppies/vines) that soon starts to attack and eat the flesh and kill the partiers one by one. Problem is if they go down the hlll the locals will shoot them (and did shoot a few of the bunch dead). A the end the one of the final two tourists sacrificed his life to distract the locals enough (getting shot dead in the process) so that his girl "friend" runs off the hill and, after a chase, gets away from the locals,.

The movie ends with a few new partiers climbing the runs once again.

Another scary movie I really don't remember much a few years ago was 'The Woods". The thing about that movie is that the actress (semi famous) is a DOUBLE for Julie Hermann. Was going to post here (maybe I did).

Last edited:
Reactions: BABYBULL24
Freaks..Way ahead of its time .Schlitzie was the star. The Thing in 1982 was one of the few remakes that was superior to the original 50's version with James Arness as the Martian which looked like an angry 7 foot carrot.

Freaks..Way ahead of its time .Schlitzie was the star. The Thing in 1982 was one of the few remakes that was superior to the original 50's version with James Arness as the Martian which looked like an angry 7 foot carrot.
The 1951 version was all about Howard Hawks and his overlapping dialogue, coupled with suspense. You never really got a good look at the strange being from another world.
The critics and I agree, it was a Sc fi classic.

Last edited:
VzyHWzo.gif

iSKSsqM.gif

I like both the 50s original The Thing and the remake with Kurt Russell, but IMO the original is much better.

The 1951 version was all about Howard Hawks and his overlapping dialogue, coupled with suspense. You never really got a good look at the strange being from another world.
The critics and I agree, it was a Sc fi classic.
Could not agree more. My favorite sci-fi film of all time.

Halloween and The original Night of The Living Dead, which I saw both in a movie theater, terrified me to the extent that I was afraid to leave the car to get into my house when I arrived home.

Rutgers football 2016?:smiley: I go back to Chiller Theater which cannot be topped . There were too many to pick one. But one non Chiller classic that still gives me the fwights is The Head That Wouldn't Die

Chiller Theater... the one with the hand that comes out of the ground in the opening sequence? Mannnnn... that used to send me running out of the room in terror when I was a tyke. Nightmares!

I'm not sure these are considered horror, but The Omen and Angel Heart are a couple of good chillers. Also have to add The Exorcist and The Shining.

Last edited:
The original Halloween
Poltergeist
The Exorcist
Misery
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Scream
The Shining... these are obvious ones. Some of my guilty pleasures (and some of these are more suspense thrillers):
Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch
The First Power
Wrong Turn
House Of Wax
You're Next
The Strangers
Krampus
House Of 1000 Corpses
Stir Of Echoes
The Skeleton Key
Fallen
The Visit

Just to name a few.

Does anyone else here like every version of Texas Chainsaw Massacres?
Mathew Mcconauhey version
Jessica Biel version
All good...imo

Last edited:
Nuts Nicely played with Village and Children of the Damned. Night of the Living Dead. "They're coming for you Barbara.They're coming for you " I forgot one. Carnival of Souls. As creepy as they get..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT