ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gold Cup

Our top team played Mexico's top team in the Nations Cup. I think they said in tonight's broadcast that only three guys that started for us in that match were playing tonight. Mexico had I think 7 starters back from that roster. This was much more their top squad than it was ours.

Our top team played Mexico's top team in the Nations Cup. I think they said in tonight's broadcast that only three guys that started for us in that match were playing tonight. Mexico had I think 7 starters back from that roster. This was much more their top squad than it was ours.
It was actually just one starter for us (Acosta)...the other two came off the bench in the June game (although several of the Mexican guys also came off the bench).

I’d say it was our B- squad against their B+ squad. But as with our full national team right now, we were really young in this tourney.

Futbol is life in Mexico much like football is life in the USA.

If the fans travelled from Mexico, but they didn't. Most are first or second gen Americans rooting for the wrong country.

There are enough Mexicans living with an easy car ride - So Cal and Phoenix to fill a 200,000 seat stadium.

That's CONCACAF. Mexican fans fill the stadiums. For the Octoganal, USA-Mexico is in Cincinnati. Expect an overwhelming US fanbase for that one.
And throwing water bottles again at our players. Such class. The semi-final game they played against Canada was suspended due to unsportsmanlike chanting again just like our game in Nation's Cup.

Last edited:
And throwing water bottles again at our players. Such class. The semi-final game they played against Canada was suspended due to unsportsmanlike chanting again just like our game in Nation's Cup.
when is the game in Cincinnati?

Great win and a real kick in the ass to Mexico to lose 2 trophy games in one summer to the U.S.
The rise from the ashes of the 2018 debacle took another huge step. Can't wait for WC qualifying to begin.
Before the game I told my son that Mexico's soccer team is the sports team I hate the most. I said that if Mexico was playing Syracuse, I would root for the Orangemen. Would'nt you know it but the winning goal was scored by a Syracuse guy.

Last edited:
Futbol is life in Mexico much like football is life in the USA.

If the fans travelled from Mexico, but they didn't. Most are first or second gen Americans rooting for the wrong country.

Don't think we can object to this. Kids growing up seeing their dad excited at watching Mexico results in them feeling the same way. Give it a few generations. Likewise with all the Non Giants/Jets/Eagles fans in Jersey. Doesn't make sense to me but eventually they get weeded out.

As a first generation American who's parents are from El Salvador, i can tell you that 99% of the Central American first generation Americans hate Mexico and are USA fans. I will say it pains me to see USA beat El Salvador. I know they have no chance at anything, but still hurts nonetheless.

I also travel to most USA and El Salvador games within driving distance along with friends and cousins. We love double headers when each are in different matches. Hate seeing all the Mexicans in the stands.

I am excited at our chances next world cup. I was expecting the worst against Mexico, but getting a 1-0 win is amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT