ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heldrich Hotel

Interesting.

I've stayed here a few times. Great location for a visiting/overnight Rutgers event. Dog friendly but watch your step in the park out front.

Students at Middlesex College as well as those from the county’s Magnet School District will learn from the expertise of unionized Heldrich employees to continue to serve and support the hospitality needs of residents, visitors, business leaders, corporate partners and athletes.

Ummmmmmmm......................

It's very confusing around here lately. I never know if we're allowed to discuss politics, politicians, and political issues or not.

Seems like, in this thread at the moment, politics is okay to discuss.
I didn’t post this for political reasons. Just to inform this board of the hotel situation.

Reactions: BossNJ and mildone
I didn’t post this for political reasons. Just to inform this board of the hotel situation.
Yes, I knew that. You did nothing wrong at all.

It’s some of the others posting in the thread about their politics causing the problem. They seem unable to discuss anything without making it political. I’m just looking for clarification about what’s allowed.

Someone brought up convicted felons. If that’s allowed, then I guess we can make fun of Trump in this thread?

To quote a GOT Old Town Meister "this is most irregular"

Between this and the Hobbs resignation, I had enough irregular for one day.

Reactions: RU205
Yes, I knew that. You did nothing wrong at all.

It’s some of the others posting in the thread about their politics causing the problem. They seem unable to discuss anything without making it political. I’m just looking for clarification about what’s allowed.

Someone brought up convicted felons. If that’s allowed, then I guess we can make fun of Trump in this thread?
A Trump Tower takeover of the Heldrich would be welcome indeed

That stinks. I liked the concept and location for a hotel. But that part of downtown NB continues to just stagnant . I thought George St would’ve been a really nice scene by now. But the same few bright spots remain surrounded by mostly unpleasant environment.

Reactions: RUDeac
A Trump Tower takeover of the Heldrich would be welcome indeed
True, because he could then use that extra income to help defray his massive legal fees. You know, after he can no longer repurpose campaign contributions for that purpose.

Wait, what am I thinking. He's famous for not paying what he owes people anyway. And he'll be in prison, so why pay the lawyers. 😀

It's very confusing around here lately. I never know if we're allowed to discuss politics, politicians, and political issues or not.

Seems like, in this thread at the moment, politics is okay to discuss.
Yup! All the silliness started when we could not discuss a certain Ex POTUS who may be the next POTUS. Its just silly but here we are!

Yup! All the silliness started when we could not discuss a certain Ex POTUS who may be the next POTUS. Its just silly but here we are!
To be clear, I don't actually want to discuss anything related to politics or political issues online ever. My only enjoyment with it was making fun of people who spend all day obsessing about that stuff. And I eventually grew bored doing that.

My posts about a certain ex-president are intended only to illustrate how someone else brought up politicians who'd wound up in jail which is political and not interesting regarding the hotel sale. I didn't make those posts 'cause I expect to, or want to, influence anybody's thinking about any of it. I really don't GAF what anybody else thinks about politics or political issues.

I just think all such discussion should be confined to the CE forum, and left off all the sports forums. And I thought that was what the site owner wanted as well.

I didn’t think Counties were in the business of running hotels, but what do I know.
I am speculating here and could be totally wrong but my guess is that the hotel chain that was running it probably had certain performance guarantees in the contract that said they would run the hotel for x years. The Heldrich has been open about 20 years. After that period of time if the heldrich didn’t have a certain percentage of monthly or yearly occupancy they would have the option to sell the hotel either to the county or to Devco. Of course we could get the original documents the county entered into with the hotel through OPRA. but this type of deal is not unheard of. I think the city of Trenton did something similar with the only major change hotel operating in the city. I think that deal was even shorter at 10 years and the hotel chain bailed. Anyhow the details will come out eventually.

I am speculating here and could be totally wrong but my guess is that the hotel chain that was running it probably had certain performance guarantees in the contract that said they would run the hotel for x years. The Heldrich has been open about 20 years. After that period of time if the heldrich didn’t have a certain percentage of monthly or yearly occupancy they would have the option to sell the hotel either to the county or to Devco. Of course we could get the original documents the county entered into with the hotel through OPRA. but this type of deal is not unheard of. I think the city of Trenton did something similar with the only major change hotel operating in the city. I think that deal was even shorter at 10 years and the hotel chain bailed. Anyhow the details will come out eventually.
Likely the case. Hopefully, they bring in professional management like Marriott, who can run the place. Once it’s part of a big hotel network, it’ll be easier to fill it, thx to rewards programs.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Stayed there a half-dozen or so times over the years when attending an annual get together around a home FB game, there or the Hyatt, as I flew into EWR, took the train to NB, and walked to either property.

The Heldrich was ok. Not great. But not bad either. Not unlike the Hyatt (but the Hyatt hosted the RU FB team and staff the night before games, so a nice atmosphere.)

Anyway, one Heldrich stay coincided with some sort of vampire-themed event. On a late night return to my room, I walked into an elevator to find a young guy all decked out in vamp wear; he held two leashes each of which was attached to a collar around the necks of two attractive young ladies, who were dressed in vamp party-wear. "Good evening," I offered. He nodded. His subjects just looked away....

And that's my Heldrich memory. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: T2Kplus20
And what happened to that hotel in Trenton? Place has been boarded up for years. If I recall the city is on the hook for 10-15 million and the state has lien for similar amount. If the place doesn’t open as a hotel the state can take possession of the entire property, which doesn’t allow for investors to repurpose the property.

Anyway, one Heldrich stay coincided with some sort of vampire-themed event. On a late night return to my room, I walked into an elevator to find a young guy all decked out in vamp wear; he held two leashes each of which was attached to a collar around the necks of two attractive young ladies, who were dressed in vamp party-wear. "Good evening," I offered. He nodded. His subjects just looked away....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT