ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Howard Stern transferring to...retirement?

FELONIOUSMONK

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2012
He has said it before but at 65 maybe it's time to go for reals before he becomes Willie Mays and stays too long.

He's hung on for 10 years too long. He became what he used to rail against.

Shark jumped.

You're crazy. The show is better than ever the past several years, as he and the whole team just keep coming up with new ways to make people laugh. And Howard is legitimately the best interviewer out there. If you're no longer listening, you're missing out, my man.

I don't have the time to listen to him like I used to in high school and college, but the 90's were unbelievable on his show. Constantly fighting the PC police, getting fined and finding new ways to skirt controversy made it must listen every day. I have hundreds of tapes from that era in my basement somewhere. Great stuff.

You're crazy. The show is better than ever the past several years, as he and the whole team just keep coming up with new ways to make people laugh. And Howard is legitimately the best interviewer out there. If you're no longer listening, you're missing out, my man.

Show is still good but Howard is a terrible interviewer. Always skews to his pet topics and never lets guest finish an answer.

Stern’s show is a shell of its former self. 90% of its present content is making fun of its staffers and the whack pack ad nauseum. The interviews are lousy. Stern’s biggest disappointment is his turning his back on Gilbert Gottfried who was absolutely hysterical on the Stern show. Sad.

Another piece of evidence of the demise of western civ. An absolute boil on the backside of humanity.

I listened to Stern when he was on DC101 in Washington, DC (that's where he was paired up with Robin Quivers). Absolutely loved him. Incredibly talented and smart radio guy. I haven't listened to him since he went to satellite radio, other than YouTube clips sad if he is retiring. Nothing lasts for ever, Stern is a HOFer.

Reactions: DirtyRU

Sucks hard now. Almost no listeners today. Look at his social media buzz, almost non-existent. Bunch of sycophantic losers sitting around not being funny. Interviews are wikipedia rehashes, sprinkled with peen talk. At least he finally seems to have jettisoned the cat lady celeb wannabe wife.

He is terrible and irrelevant now. He changed so much from his heydey in 90s and 2000s. Really disappointing to see him hit the skids like this

His still great, just a different energy, he thinks more now and doesn't have so many Hollywood types in his cross hairs. He employs people to do crazy crap he did, especially Wolfie going to Fist Fest (ugh), and Sal doing Cockie Okie
I'll pay for him to work 3 days a week and listen to the best of Stern, its still better than the crap out there now

I'm no longer listening for probably the last 30 years. Never liked his show even when on local radio. But, that's just me.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Stern’s show is a shell of its former self. 90% of its present content is making fun of its staffers and the whack pack ad nauseum. The interviews are lousy. Stern’s biggest disappointment is his turning his back on Gilbert Gottfried who was absolutely hysterical on the Stern show. Sad.
I enjoy most of the staffers (other than a few back office guys who are not funny) and still get a kick out of wack packers when they’re on.

The show is really so different though. I got satellite radio in 2009 and started listening religiously. At this point Howard was still doing some crazy stuff, but tapering off. Also, sternthology/Howard 101 was playing a lot of repeats from 2000 to the present at this time. Things really changed after Artie left and he got a gig on AGT. There’s been a lot of conspiracy with Marco Turk’s role in the show as well.

I get that he was probably ready to move past some of his old shenanigans but it’s certainly missed. Seems like his show is meant for a different audience these days. You almost never hear stuff pre-2010 on sternthology anymore as well which is an absolute bummer.

Sucks hard now. Almost no listeners today. Look at his social media buzz, almost non-existent. Bunch of sycophantic losers sitting around not being funny. Interviews are wikipedia rehashes, sprinkled with peen talk. At least he finally seems to have jettisoned the cat lady celeb wannabe wife.
Eh, she was on last week or the week before. Writing has definitely gotten lazy on the show.

I have been listening since the 90's. I have Sirius but rarely listen anymore unless it's a replay of something that was truly funny from the past. Like the Jesus Twins.

Show is so stale now it's not even funny. He's playing out the string. Became a corporate monster with a entrail of mouths he needs to feed and a big pot of gold as he stumbles to the finish line.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I recently learned that what he used to loving refer to as "terrestrial radio" is many x the size of Sirius in terms of listeners.

Irrelevant is probably the right word. But, he got paid to do so, so good for him.

Reactions: matty666
I have been listening since the 90's. I have Sirius but rarely listen anymore unless it's a replay of something that was truly funny from the past. Like the Jesus Twins.

Show is so stale now it's not even funny. He's playing out the string. Became a corporate monster with a entrail of mouths he needs to feed and a big pot of gold as he stumbles to the finish line.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I recently learned that what he used to loving refer to as "terrestrial radio" is many x the size of Sirius in terms of listeners.
The debut of the Jesus Twins was a top 10 all time moment for me.

Add in the first Jan Michael Vincent appearance, Scott the Engineer's pushup challenge, all the OJ trial coverage, Robin's book bashing, Jackie Puppet, Billy West, Woodyee Allen - all great events or skits that I loved. Do they actually play that old stuff on the replays or is it just current old stuff?

Add in the first Jan Michael Vincent appearance, Scott the Engineer's pushup challenge, all the OJ trial coverage, Robin's book bashing, Jackie Puppet, Billy West, Woodyee Allen - all great events or skits that I loved. Do they actually play that old stuff on the replays or is it just current old stuff?

The definitely replay the Jesus Twins stuff and Jan Michael Vincent appearance. I haven't heard the other stuff in a long time.

I have considered getting rid of it. You can keep Sirius and get rid of stern. It's immaterial (like $20) but it's just the principle. He sucks now.

Reactions: matty666

Some more:
Stuttering John interviews, with Jackie laughing at his own questions as they replay the tape.
Wars with Cathy Lee Gifford, Rosie, Jay Leno and all the other Hollywood phonies. Today's Howard has no venom left.
After Jackie left, a big part of the fun was gone- the controversy and infighting, even if it was scripted. Artie was OK, but the show was a step down from Jackie. The best part with Artie was when Gilbert would make appearances. Gilbert and Artie together were gold.

Reactions: ru2bur and batts
Some more:
Stuttering John interviews, with Jackie laughing at his own questions as they replay the tape.
Wars with Cathy Lee Gifford, Rosie, Jay Leno and all the other Hollywood phonies. Today's Howard has no venom left.
After Jackie left, a big part of the fun was gone- the controversy and infighting, even if it was scripted. Artie was OK, but the show was a step down from Jackie. The best part with Artie was when Gilbert would make appearances. Gilbert and Artie together were gold.
I used to love when Jackie laughed at his own jokes. And his jetty in the water by his house, LOL.

He was new and different back then. I got tired of him in 1982.
Yes, nothing like him on-air when he was in DC. Greaseman was a great story teller and I enjoyed his show but if he was on against Stern back then I would have listened to Stern.

I've been a fan since high school in the 90's. Used to get up early and finish my homework while listening to the show.

I still enjoy the show and my wife is a fan too. But I find myself skipping a fair amount of segments (listening on the app later in the day after the entire show is posted allows for that, which is great). Bobo, high pitch, etc i usually skip. Also, whoever in the back office does those 'man on the street' recorded segments must have incriminating dirt on Stern, because he's unfathomably unfunny, yet he keeps getting airtime.

I miss Artie for sure, and I agree that Howard's silent abandonment of Gilbert Goddfried is cowardly and inexcusable. I also agree that his interviewing is predictable and fairly disruptive.

He has said it before but at 65 maybe it's time to go for reals before he becomes Willie Mays and stays too long.

Two things which killed the show for me are ( jumped the shark)
1) Artie leaving the show. He was the irreverent one and Howard began to get PC
2) He starting becoming friends with Hollywood types which he killed for years when he was on top.

Listened to the show for 30 years but it isn’t the same show as it was in its hey day,

Two things which killed the show for me are ( jumped the shark)
1) Artie leaving the show. He was the irreverent one and Howard began to get PC
2) He starting becoming friends with Hollywood types which he killed for years when he was on top.

Listened to the show for 30 years but it isn’t the same show as it was in its hey day,

Agreed. Point 2 especially. The show could never be the same after that.

He's just playing out the string doing as little, lazy work as possible. He's like an edgy band that gets too big, over produced, and swells in size of support. People's livelihoods start to depend on it, and you keep it going for as long as possible for that reason.

He's dull now. It happens.

Thank you for mentioning the Jesus twins. Forgot about them but listened last night when they tried to get Howard to put them on the private parts soundtrack and was cracking up. The twins and their manager were amazing. They really had baba booey flustered. His comebacks were so bad and unfunny that it was uncomfortable at times. Really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Thank you for mentioning the Jesus twins. Forgot about them but listened last night when they tried to get Howard to put them on the private parts soundtrack and was cracking up. The twins and their manager were amazing. They really had baba booey flustered. His comebacks were so bad and unfunny that it was uncomfortable at times. Really enjoyed it.

Jesus Twins- Awesome
Elegant Elliot Offen- nut job crazy
Angry Alice- awesome
Kenneth Keith- was great in the early years, then got weirder
High Pitch Eric get smacked by a fish - the funniest
KC Armstrong- dude was a nut

Can't remember the last time I laughed listening to his show on xm..very dry

Howard Stern (and his success) is somebody who has been misunderstood and misjudged for a long time. If all he did was make crude remarks and cuss, well, anybody could have lasted decades on top of his craft. He was way more than that. In fact, for me, the times when he was doing those things was the least interesting part of his show.

He was funny and clever, and did things that nobody ever did before. While others were doing schtick and making crap up, he was telling the mundane truth about his real life, the behind the scenes staff, his so-called "celebrity" status (he was honest about being anxious among other stars on planes because he worried they'd blow him off, for instance), among other things. Now that's commonplace, but not many ever did it before him.

I haven't listened since 2005, when he went to satellite, except for Youtube clips when I miss the show. I know some fans say he finally jumped the shark. That could certainly be true for all I know, but I have nothing but fond memories of listening to him, which I did starting in 19xx when he was on DC101 in Washington.

By the way, I loved Artie, but the show was plenty good before he made the scene...

Yes, nothing like him on-air when he was in DC. Greaseman was a great story teller and I enjoyed his show but if he was on against Stern back then I would have listened to Stern.

Yeah, as you surely remember, one might say that Stern had paved the way for Greaseman in that morning drive slot on DC101 when he left for New York. Grease was hilarious as well, but I, too preferred Stern...

He is terrible and irrelevant now. He changed so much from his heydey in 90s and 2000s. Really disappointing to see him hit the skids like this
Decades ago I thought he sucked, then got worse, then worser, and finally more worser.

Still love the show today. Lot of people are saying it is different, I agree but that doesn’t mean worse, just different.

Loved from the old Howard days.

Crackhead Bob ordering from the Chinese restaurant.
The reading of a Christmas story by Elephant Boy ( and others)
Stuttering John

Howard of today

Loving his interviews with Paul McCartney and Def Leppard
Still fighting with Gary and others.

It’s the nature of message boards. You can post a comment about anyone and basically you will hear how they suck. Pick a person and try it.

Reactions: goldb80
I only listened I guess in the early 80's when he was on in New York in the afternoon and Imus was on in the morning. He was funny and crude at the time. Usually it was only him and Robin for quite a while.

There were times I almost drove off the road, I was laughing so hard listening to him.

The John Lennon Story
The Elvis Story
Trying to buy the Elephant Man
Calling the Iranian embassy as Fart Man
Gilbert Gotfried in a coffin pretending to be Dracula on the street
Steve Rossi's tribute to Froggy
And of course Pat Cooper

Haven't listened in years though.

Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT