ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HS Athletes Playing at the 'Next Level'.

SantaFeScarlet

All American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
This post is inspired by Lenny's post about his boy Nick.

I have a son who played high level HS and club baseball until he decided in his junior year he wanted to be a pilot for his career and playing college baseball would hinder his ability to accrue his fight hours and certifications as quickly as possible, as seniority is everything in his line of business. My wife and I, his coaches, college coaches, a MLB team hitting coach who worked with Troy when he was the UNM Lobos hitting coach and they are still close friends, his HS Principal, friends, family, etc. are ecstatic that he found his life and career passion at such a young age. His goal is to be an Envoy Airlines First Officer at 23 and he got himself very well-networked with Envoy and therefore, the American Airlines Group.

That being said, I have seen so many parents and their children dream of their child being the next Derek Jeter (haven't we all) and they get sucked into paying tons of money for lessons, travel club ball and evaluation camps, with everyone promising they know the Head Coach at A-Z University. The goal everyone has around here is for their child to play at the 'Next Level'. In baseball there are dozens of 'Next Levels' from HS to the Bigs.

Most Northern NM baseball players who play at the 'Next Level' go on to play at a lousy academic 2-year Juco or Community College with the goal of impressing a D1 thru D3 4-year coach, which rarely happens. As such, their 'Next Level' ends 2 years after HS while the parents have spent a ton of $$ dreaming the Jeter dream. So the child has an Associate's degree from a lousy academic 2 year college.

Lenny seems like his boy has a legit shot at playing at a 4-year university with solid academics. Some of you others also commented that your children are being recruited by top academic 4-year (some Ivy) schools. Not that my opinion matters for your child, but that is the HS Athlete's American Dream in my family's opinion… to play college sports for a Top 4-year Academic Institution at whatever level the child can compete at (D1 - D3). One day the child's and parent's sports dream will end (most often sooner than later) but an excellent degree and career networking opportunities are priceless for smart, motivated and respectful young folks.

I'd love to hear other parents thoughts and especially about club coaches selling the dream to Jeter wanna-be parents of kids playing at the 'Next Level' primarily so they can pitch to the parents that we placed X # of our players at the 'Next Level' (for their for-profit organization), regardless of what academic level (or not) that may be.

Would you be ok for your child to play at the 'Next Level' at a lousy academic 2-year Juco or Community College, as compared they go to a good academic university and get a 4-year degree while not playing at the 'Next Level'.

Thanks for hearing me out and I looking forward to hearing your experience with your child, as well as your thoughts on the topic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News