ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mattress help!!!!!!

miket007

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
New Haven
Over the years i've read some very good threads on this board in regards to beds so i decided the next bed i get i wouldn't spend less than a grand for so i was at Sleepy's at the sales rep offered me a deal after going back and forth about 30 minutes for a Beauty Rest Phenom Crossover queen size firm mattress & box set with delivery and removal of bed for $1200, is this a good deal? Have any of you heard of this bed & should i move on this, i put $50 down to hold this deal for a month which it all states on the receipt. I'm going to keep looking as i really want the type of beds that are in the marriot hotels etc......Thanks in advance

Mattress industry is shady....you will never find another Beauty Rest Phenom Crossover anywhere else.....that same exact bed might be at Macys as the Beauty Rest Clean Sleep for $800 and then at Mattress Cowboys as the Beauty Rest Cloud for $1600. They are allowed to change the names so there is no way to tell. I hate Sleepys myself....but other than that have heard great things about Tempurpedic (mostly on this board). My final advice would be whatever feels good to you.

Its such a crapshoot.

Even if a mattress feels good for a few months ive had them feel like crap and sink in 6 months later.

Some people may not know this but buying a mattress is like buying a car. You have to haggle the price. It is not like buying clothing where the advertised price is what you pay.

Last edited:
Just put it this way... You spend an hour a day in your car that you spent 25k+ on. You spend hours+ a night in your bed. You get what you pay for. However, like a previous poster mentioned you can haggle with these guys. My dad was a district manager for Rockaway Bedding and he knows the industry. About a year ago when I went to sleepys to buy my new set I got it for almost half off... There's a ton of room to negotiate so definitely shop around

....I will say this - I got a better price negotiating a bed online with Sleepys than in person.

Have a Temp for about 18 years now. King size - firm as the day we got it. Don't know if this is a freak or not but my wife always would complain about springs annoying her. Now no complaints! Cost a lot back then, close to 2K if I recall. But the ROI is fantastic. Wish I knew about that haggling thing back then all I got was two temper pillows thrown in. Oh well, still a great deal in the long run.

Have a Temp for about 18 years now. King size - firm as the day we got it. Don't know if this is a freak or not but my wife always would complain about springs annoying her. Now no complaints! Cost a lot back then, close to 2K if I recall. But the ROI is fantastic. Wish I knew about that haggling thing back then all I got was two temper pillows thrown in. Oh well, still a great deal in the long run.
I like the temp mattresses but did want to pay the price. We ended up getting a bobopedic and love it. I was turned off by the commercials and thought they were cheesy but consumer reports rates them higher than temp. Costco also has a highly rated temp knock off to check out. Both were half the price of the Temp.

Girlfriend is going to be moving in a few weeks so she decided to buy a new bed. We went to a few stores to check things out, lay on a few, etc. But apparently buying online is the way to go, which is what she ended up doing after narrowing down what she wanted.

A lot of people hate them, but we have had the same Select Comfort bed for 20 years, and we still love it. Best part is moving the bed is a breeze because it breaks down into a bunch of small parts.

We deal with a local place here in Wayne called Wayne Bedding and Brass (although I think they've changed their name to just Wayne Bedding now) - I got my original queen mattress from them when I was single and had my first place, we got our king mattress and headboard from them when we got married, and we just got Corey's new mattress from them.

Thanks for the super great responses fellas, i'll get my $$$ back & will shop online but also check out macy's costco and raymour flanigan outlet. I just found 2 websites that are supposed to sale mattresses that the upper echelon hotels have casper.com & mileswhileyousleep.com

Thanks for the super great responses fellas, i'll get my $$$ back & will shop online but also check out macy's costco and raymour flanigan outlet. I just found 2 websites that are supposed to sale mattresses that the upper echelon hotels have casper.com & mileswhileyousleep.com

I would avoid Costco, BJs, or Sam's Club. These retailers are known for having clothing and certain other items that are cheaper but inferior.

For example the Calvin Klein jeans you buy at Macys are not of the same quality as the ones sold in Costco. They have special agreements with their suppliers. There's likely similar agreements for mattresses.

You can read about it here:

"It's no secret that most name designers make cheaper lines just for warehouse clubs or outlet stores."

I would avoid Costco, BJs, or Sam's Club. These retailers are known for having clothing and certain other items that are cheaper but inferior.

For example the Calvin Klein jeans you buy at Macys are not of the same quality as the ones sold in Costco. They have special agreements with their suppliers. There's likely similar agreements for mattresses.

You can read about it here:

"It's no secret that most name designers make cheaper lines just for warehouse clubs or outlet stores."

Thank you sir!

There are a few online mattress companies that bear checking out. You buy online and never test it in a store but they give you three months or so to decide if you like it. If you don't they pick it up and take it away and you get a full refund. I've tried three and like them all.

Once is called Casper and it's a combination of memory foam and latex. Only comes in one firmness and we kept it maybe 90 days and would have been OK with it but decided to try something else.

The second is called Saatva. That's the something else we tried and may kee. Memory foam over two layers of coils spring and three firmnesses to choose from. Runs about $800. So does the Casper. That's for a queen.

Another one is called Ultimate Dreams. My daughter sleeps on one. Very nice. Hers is the equivalent of a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe at a quarter of the price.

I spent like 400 bucks for a queen size mattress recently, most comfortable bed I could imagine.

ill try to find the link

1200 seems like a waste of money

There are a few online mattress companies that bear checking out. You buy online and never test it in a store but they give you three months or so to decide if you like it. If you don't they pick it up and take it away and you get a full refund. I've tried three and like them all.

Once is called Casper and it's a combination of memory foam and latex. Only comes in one firmness and we kept it maybe 90 days and would have been OK with it but decided to try something else.

The second is called Saatva. That's the something else we tried and may kee. Memory foam over two layers of coils spring and three firmnesses to choose from. Runs about $800. So does the Casper. That's for a queen.

Another one is called Ultimate Dreams. My daughter sleeps on one. Very nice. Hers is the equivalent of a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe at a quarter of the price.

The more i hear folks talk about Casper the more excited i get & i'll get on that website very soon, thanks for the reply!

I spent like 400 bucks for a queen size mattress recently, most comfortable bed I could imagine.

ill try to find the link

1200 seems like a waste of money

Thanks and after reading this thread i'm thinking this also....thanks for the help fella.

You won't beat Casper for people who believe in their product and just fantastic customer service.

I just purchased a new mattress and box spring at Sleepys. The sales rep was a nice woman and didn't try to upsell us. We wanted a firm mattress with memory foam and gel for an existing bedroom set frame. We didn't want coils. She told us they sell quality brands and all have decent warranties so there is no need to worry about one brand vs. the other. She said it comes down to what you feel most comfortable on. We were between a few and chose a Broyhill. Broyhill is a furniture company but only makes mattresses for Sleepys. Knowing business it is possible that the mattress is made by a mattress only company like a Seely and licensed / rebranded to Broyhill.

But my goal with the mattress is for 3-5 years of every day use before I get a new place and put it into the 2nd bedroom while buying a new bed for the master.

Over the years i've read some very good threads on this board in regards to beds so i decided the next bed i get i wouldn't spend less than a grand for so i was at Sleepy's at the sales rep offered me a deal after going back and forth about 30 minutes for a Beauty Rest Phenom Crossover queen size firm mattress & box set with delivery and removal of bed for $1200, is this a good deal? Have any of you heard of this bed & should i move on this, i put $50 down to hold this deal for a month which it all states on the receipt. I'm going to keep looking as i really want the type of beds that are in the marriot hotels etc......Thanks in advance
I've bought ikea mattresses forever. My kids sleep on some I bought in the late 90s. They're still awesome.

....I will say this - I got a better price negotiating a bed online with Sleepys than in person.
That's been my experience as well.

Actually, I called 1-800 mattres (save the last "S" for savings..?) and asked them for a quote and they gladly gave me one that blew away any of the in-store quotes I had obtained. I then haggled some more and got an additional 10% off.

So my advice is to go in stores and find a brand/model you like. Then call 1-800 mattres. Be sure to Google the make/model because as someone else mentioned, they change names & models so people have a difficult time price shopping. But if you know what all the different permutations are, you'll be fine. As an added bonus when you call, the guy on the other end of the phone will know you did your homework and will be quicker to negotiate. It's a numbers game for those call center folks and if they can make a sale in 10 minutes for a smaller commission, it's still a sale and it was a quick one at that.

I forgot to mention Sleepy's had a 10% off coupon online that we saw on our phones. The sales person gave us the 10% in addition to their Memorial Day sales price.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT