ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Met's Pitcher Jim McAndrew dead at 80

RUScrew85

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2003
Last edited:
If I remember correctly he had a bit of an odd deliver for his time. Back then everyone was doing the "drop & drive" motion ala Seaver. He kind of had a straight front leg motion which was different.

R.I.P.

Reactions: rubaseball78
If I remember correctly he had a bit of an odd deliver for his time. Back then everyone was doing the "drop & drive" motion ala Seaver. He kind of had a straight front leg motion which was different.

R.I.P.
RIP:
A few random things:

lost his major league debut to Bob Gibson in a 1968 spot start for the New York Mets when Nolan Ryan was called away to military duty, then beat Steve Carlton a month later for his first win
McAndrew’s first batter was future Hall of Famer Lou Brock, who singled, and McAndrew pitched around Roger Maris’ leadoff double in the fourth.

McAndrew started one of the most significant games in franchise history: a win over Montreal in September 1969 that put the long downtrodden team into first place for the first time in the franchise’s eight seasons

McAndrew didn’t appear in the postseason for the 1969 World Series champions or 1973 NL pennant winners

Some things never change for the Mets (sounds like the deGrom treatment) 😏 :

The Mets didn’t score a run while McAndrew was on the mound as he lost his first four big league starts, and he dropped to 0-5 with a 13-3 loss to San Francisco and future Hall of Famer Juan Marichal.

Some pics:
NOTE- EDITED TO GET RID OF PICS THAT WERE SEAVER (THANKS GOOGLE, BUT SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THE #41):

w640xh480_GettyImages-89190950.jpg

Jim+McAndrew+%252811%2529.jpg

MET-VV-0007-0011-0015.jpg

Last edited:
RIP:
A few random things:

lost his major league debut to Bob Gibson in a 1968 spot start for the New York Mets when Nolan Ryan was called away to military duty, then beat Steve Carlton a month later for his first win
McAndrew’s first batter was future Hall of Famer Lou Brock, who singled, and McAndrew pitched around Roger Maris’ leadoff double in the fourth.

McAndrew started one of the most significant games in franchise history: a win over Montreal in September 1969 that put the long downtrodden team into first place for the first time in the franchise’s eight seasons

McAndrew didn’t appear in the postseason for the 1969 World Series champions or 1973 NL pennant winners

The Mets didn’t score a run while McAndrew was on the mound as he lost his first four big league starts, and he dropped to 0-5 with a 13-3 loss to San Francisco and future Hall of Famer Juan Marichal.

Some pics:

50812274.jpg

MET-VV-0007-0011-0015-1024x668.jpg

I guess I was wrong about the straight leg. He looks just like Seaver. I'm guessing Rube Walker taught all the staff that.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I guess I was wrong about the straight leg. He looks just like Seaver. I'm guessing Rube Walker taught all the staff that.
Loved that era of baseball of the late 1960-to late 1970s. I just saw an "ESSO" sign over the left-center wall. I remember when Exxon was Esso, and prior to that, Humble Oil. My grandfather worked on the Humble then Esso docks in Bayonne.

Did he teach because he had to, or because he wanted to? I'm guessing with his short career and salaries not as high as they are now, he had to work?

I'm guessing he wasn't retired on a handful of early 1970s years of salary. Plus that's not really the kind of discussion one has with 6th graders. It took him most of the year to share his baseball time with just a few of us. He wasn't a self promoter by any means.

Reactions: zappaa
That’s pretty cool. Lots of guys from that era had off season gigs too

We had a couple of the early 1970's Phillies living in town for a while. Bob Boone, Luzinski (I think) - he coached Baseball (and Football?) at Hold Cross HS in S. Jersey. And a couple of others who's names I forget (Bowa maybe?).

Last edited:
Every year when MYAA did the winter sign-up at Middletown High School they would bring in a player to speak and sign autographs. I remember him being there in 1972 or 1973. I also rember Roy White doing it.

RIP Jim.

Reactions: RUScrew85
You still could be right. Two of those pictures are of Seaver.
There isn’t a single element between Tom and Jim similar.
Tom on today’s gun would be throwing 98 mph in the 9th inning with a low 90s slide piece.
Jim could barely break 85 on a good day.

RIP:
A few random things:

Some pics:
NOTE- EDITED TO GET RID OF PICS THAT WERE SEAVER (THANKS GOOGLE, BUT SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THE #41):

Jim+McAndrew+%252811%2529.jpg

I just figured he changed numbers at one point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT