ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mini-Vacation Help

drewbagel423

All American
Oct 30, 2006
I've got the next two weeks off as I transition to a new job, so the wife and I were thinking about going away somewhere for several days. Looking for suggestions, preferably south-bound so the weather's a bit warmer. We also have a 3 month old so we're looking at places within a 5 hour or so drive. The first thing that came to mind was Delaware or Virginia, but we have no idea what our options there are.

I've got the next two weeks off as I transition to a new job, so the wife and I were thinking about going away somewhere for several days. Looking for suggestions, preferably south-bound so the weather's a bit warmer. We also have a 3 month old so we're looking at places within a 5 hour or so drive. The first thing that came to mind was Delaware or Virginia, but we have no idea what our options there are.
Williamsburg VA
Chesapeake Bay - MD

Reactions: drewbagel423
Don't think it is going to get THAT much warmer in a 5 hour drive. You mentioned Delaware.
Drive to Cape May, spend a day or two there, then take the ferry to Lewes. Have not been there, but someone in the office is going to retire there, and they spend a good amount of time there:
http://www.lewes.com/tour-the-town.html

Easy trip. Some side trips before you go to Cape May on the way down. Less time driving, more time enjoying cool stuff.

Historic town of Smithville, NJ.
http://www.historicsmithvillenj.com/

Lucy the Elephant in Margate:
http://www.lucytheelephant.org/

Don't think it is going to get THAT much warmer in a 5 hour drive. You mentioned Delaware.
Drive to Cape May, spend a day or two there, then take the ferry to Lewes. Have not been there, but someone in the office is going to retire there, and they spend a good amount of time there:
http://www.lewes.com/tour-the-town.html

Easy trip. Some side trips before you go to Cape May on the way down. Less time driving, more time enjoying cool stuff.

Historic town of Smithville, NJ.
http://www.historicsmithvillenj.com/

Lucy the Elephant in Margate:
http://www.lucytheelephant.org/
If you're doing that stop here too...

Naval Air Station Wildwood Museum
http://www.usnasw.org/

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into these.

Chesapeake Bay - MD
Any particular place on the bay? Or do you mean Chesapeake Beach?

Cheap flights to Florida. Or drive to North Carolina.
My daughter is way to fussy to spend 3 hours on a plane. And an 8-hour drive to NC would take double that with all the diaper/feeding/crying stops.

Last edited:

The area around Wilmington is pretty neat, Longwood Gardens, the Dupont Mansion, the Hagley and Andrew Wyeth Museum. The hotels are reasonable priced and there are a number of good restaurants. We stay at the Doubletree which is on Concord Pike.

Not warmer but Philly has some great things to see, Carpenter Hall, Liberty Bell, Mint and downtown Terminal Market. Do a day there and then DC. Above suggestion great too.

Take a look at Annapolis MD. Even without a football game it's a nice town with some interesting stuff to do particularly if you are inclined toward the water and boats. Also history.

Reactions: RUPartisan
Hershey Park is open on weekends, maybe a 3 weekend w a tour of the Candy factory built in. Great park for kids of all ages, the Park is very clean and very well run. While not a warmer climate, 5 hours south isn't much warmer than here, only about a 2 -3 hour drive west depending where in NJ you live.

http://www.hersheypark.com/things-to-do/index.php

Hershey Park is open on weekends, maybe a 3 weekend w a tour of the Candy factory built in. Great park for kids of all ages, the Park is very clean and very well run. While not a warmer climate, 5 hours south isn't much warmer than here, only about a 2 -3 hour drive west depending where in NJ you live.

http://www.hersheypark.com/things-to-do/index.php

Hershey probably won't work because we won't be going on any rides or anything.

I think we've settled on somewhere on the Chesapeake Bay. Can anyone help narrow down some of the options there?

Not warmer but Philly has some great things to see, Carpenter Hall, Liberty Bell, Mint and downtown Terminal Market. Do a day there and then DC. Above suggestion great too.
I second Philly. Short drive. Stay in Old City and see the history. Lots of options Inc please touch museum, Franklin Inst., Ben Franklin museum, liberty bell and independence hall.

Chestertown, MD is a nice place to spend the day.

@newell138 My daughter goes to Washington College in Chestertown, graduating this May so I find it interesting you suggested the town.

But you are correct...its a lovely place to spend a day. It's on the water, has some great dining options, has a bunch of art galleries and a bit of history as well.

Off next week and thinking of going to Alexandria, Va (outside of Wash DC) for a 2 day trek. AAA magazine had a nice feature on it a few months ago. History, Restaurants, shops, etc all along main street and you can take a cruise on the Potomac up towards Wash Monuments.

@newell138 My daughter goes to Washington College in Chestertown, graduating this May so I find it interesting you suggested the town.

But you are correct...its a lovely place to spend a day. It's on the water, has some great dining options, has a bunch of art galleries and a bit of history as well.

Too funny, my daughter should have been graduating from there this year but she transferred out after a year, even though she loved it because she missed home. The crew coach even offered her an RA position to try and make her stay. Its a small school so maybe they knew each other.

It really is a great town though!

Theres an interesting 5 page thread on the free board about a place in Jamaica.

Reactions: Abro1975
Too funny, my daughter should have been graduating from there this year but she transferred out after a year, even though she loved it because she missed home. The crew coach even offered her an RA position to try and make her stay. Its a small school so maybe they knew each other.

It really is a great town though!

any chance your daughter is Kayla? if so, she and my daughter were roommates for their freshman year and those little people are singing "it's a small world after all"!! :scream:

Last edited:
If you want to splurge & go somewhere with virtually every service - plus they can provide you with a babysitter for evenings out - and/or an afternoon of golf (or spa time) ...
The Greenbrier - in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia -

Have the pediatrician prescribe a sedative, drive straight through to Omaha, hang out in the Midwestern springtime, catch Nebraska's Spring Game, and jam home.

(sorry, but our board is ultra dead lately and I'm lurking around the rivalsphere)

Staunton, Va is a lovely little town in the Shenandoah Valley. Nice historic downtown area, close to the Blue Ridge Mtns, several caverns, also close to Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, and Lexington (each of which would also be nice places to stay), Skyline Drive, rafting, horses, vineyards.

Weather is not much different than northern NJ though.

Off next week and thinking of going to Alexandria, Va (outside of Wash DC) for a 2 day trek. AAA magazine had a nice feature on it a few months ago. History, Restaurants, shops, etc all along main street and you can take a cruise on the Potomac up towards Wash Monuments.

If you go to Alexandria, you really should check out the George Washington Masonic Memorial. The tour is a little strange, but the view from the top is fantastic.

OP a 5 hour drive starting in Cape May is very different than a five hour drive starting in High Point. :)

Definitely Annapolis or Roanoke Virginia. As someone pointed out Annapolis is a great small city, cool historic downtown, naval academy etc. Roanoke is close to skyline drive/blue ridge parkway. Its a hip up and coming small to medium sized city.

Amish country in the Lancaster,Pa. Area is interesting & relaxing. Also has Dutch Wonderland, an amusement park tailored to very young kids. Perfect trip for relaxation only hours away.

Check out Asheville North Carolina. Fine restaurants , some nice art galleries , cute boutique inns and if I recall the Vanderbilt estate is outside town.

. I hope Kayla is doing well. She & Taylor always had so much fun.

She is doing very well! After 3 years of school she took a break and got her real estate license. She already has her first listing down here.

I wonder if they ever discussed their parents unhealthy obsession with RU sports sitting in that dorm room. And I guess this means I have actually met Mr Screw the day they moved in.

She is doing very well! After 3 years of school she took a break and got her real estate license. She already has her first listing down here.

I wonder if they ever discussed their parents unhealthy obsession with RU sports sitting in that dorm room. And I guess this means I have actually met Mr Screw the day they moved in.

no, you probably met my ex not the infamous MrScrew. My daughter did not seem to know about you being on the board so perhaps our secret was safe. I hope in addition to the listing she gets a sale!

Taylor is heading to U Maryland School of Pharmacy in August....4 more years. She comes to one game every year, maybe she and Kayla can coordinate and meet up this year.

no, you probably met my ex not the infamous MrScrew. My daughter did not seem to know about you being on the board so perhaps our secret was safe. I hope in addition to the listing she gets a sale!

Taylor is heading to U Maryland School of Pharmacy in August....4 more years. She comes to one game every year, maybe she and Kayla can coordinate and meet up this year.

Ah, OK, it all makes sense now! Kayla used to come to at least 1 game a year with me too, but hasn't been in the last 2 years, her younger sister now comes with me to most of the games.

Good for her going to pharmacy school! Thats a long haul but it will pay off!

If you want warmth within 5 hours drive, the best place to go is the Tidewater region of VA (330 miles from Edison to Norfolk, which is 5 hours unencumbered, but maybe 6 if you have to make some stops). Temps are about 7-10F warmer than Central Jersey, this time of year, i.e., average highs/lows in the 64/46F range. Lots to to do as others have said: Williamsburg, Jamestown, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chincoteague, etc. are all reasonably close to each other and there are tons of quiet beaches/small towns in the region.

And if you have two weeks, once you're there, it's only another 50-100 miles to much of the Outer Banks in NC, which would be an easy excursion for a few days. Corolla, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, etc. are all great places - we stayed one year in early April and loved it (still quiet, but most businesses are open).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT