ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Nick Singleton makes it clear, Penn State has an NIL problem… and a big one

So- those 100+k fans in the seats and cult graduates care less than Rutgers fans do?

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
The problem is Penn State is complicated. First of all there were two separate collectives who had different philosophies. They finally combined last year but now there another one being headed up by Lavar Arrington. The fan base is deeply divided with the Paterno loyalist who still think it 1980s. You even have his son Jay voting against modernizing the football facilities that were in desperate need of renovations. You then have the ones who have moved on and want to embrace the future and NLI. The deep pockets are still there as they received a $25 million donation and a $10 million donation. It an up hill battle building the NLI but eventually it will get where it needs to be.

The problem is Penn State is complicated. First of all there were two separate collectives who had different philosophies. They finally combined last year but now there another one being headed up by Lavar Arrington. The fan base is deeply divided with the Paterno loyalist who still think it 1980s. You even have his son Jay voting against modernizing the football facilities that were in desperate need of renovations. You then have the ones who have moved on and want to embrace the future and NLI. The deep pockets are still there as they received a $25 million donation and a $10 million donation. It an up hill battle building the NLI but eventually it will get where it needs to be.
It’s also a poorly conceived headline.

Whats’s more telling is that he turned down 7 figures to stay. I really don’t think some of these figures are real and if they are, they are not sustainable. Are people with that much money really that stupid? Makes you wonder how they got that rich in the first place.

What happened, Pegula run out of money?

What happened, Pegula run out of money?
I don’t think Pegula is the type to throw cash around indiscriminately like the SEC bag men. I think he is quieter than that. He may be giving, but a little more discreetly. As nut alluded to, there were some recent large donations to the facilities project (actually a $25 mil and 2 separate $10 mil). At least one was anonymous.

I get it, people think everything is wrong with Penn State. Willing to sell their soul to win. Penn States fan base, thus its financial support for football has been built largely from middle to upper middle class people. Families that have had season tickets for generations. I think there are a lot of other schools like that. Sure, there are whales, but nothing like the SEC schools or Oregon or OSU even.

I tend to disagree a bit with Nut on the Paterno effect. I don’t think that’s hurting as much as people want us to believe.

In the end, a distinction needs to be made between NIL and pay for play. Today, there is very little NIL and whole lot of pay for play. The Penn State fans I know refuse to support pay for play financially.

Just my respectful 2 cents.

I don’t think Pegula is the type to throw cash around indiscriminately like the SEC bag men. I think he is quieter than that. He may be giving, but a little more discreetly. As nut alluded to, there were some recent large donations to the facilities project (actually a $25 mil and 2 separate $10 mil). At least one was anonymous.

I get it, people think everything is wrong with Penn State. Willing to sell their soul to win. Penn States fan base, thus its financial support for football has been built largely from middle to upper middle class people. Families that have had season tickets for generations. I think there are a lot of other schools like that. Sure, there are whales, but nothing like the SEC schools or Oregon or OSU even.

I tend to disagree a bit with Nut on the Paterno effect. I don’t think that’s hurting as much as people want us to believe.

In the end, a distinction needs to be made between NIL and pay for play. Today, there is very little NIL and whole lot of pay for play. The Penn State fans I know refuse to support pay for play financially.

Just my respectful 2 cents.
Similar to what I said earlier.

It’s gets to a point where the regular fan just says…”come on, man.”

Like Nitt poster above said, fanbase split, as were collectives before they combined

If they were smart, they'd pay Jay to go away
Tell the old fans to STFU, Joe harbored a child rapist and if you're cool w/that, you can eat shit

I don't believe OP quoted story one bit. I read that as a players Dad not knowing what his son's NIL deal is or that PSU is using NIL money to get players from elsewhere instead of playing their own.

Call me cynical but this may be a manipulation to get PSU cult to donate even more rather than an actual representation as to what is going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT