ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P - Ed Ames

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Singer and theater performer dies at age 95. For us old folks he is best remembered for playing Mingo, the Indian pal of Fess Parker's on the old TV show Daniel Boone.
Mingo/Ames was especially good at throwing a tomahawk. This led to one of the all time classic scenes on The Tonight Show when Johnny asked him to demonstrate on live TV.

R.I.P.

Singer and theater performer dies at age 95. For us old folks he is best remembered for playing Mingo, the Indian pal of Fess Parker's on the old TV show Daniel Boone.
Mingo/Ames was especially good at throwing a tomahawk. This led to one of the all time classic scenes on The Tonight Show when Johnny asked him to demonstrate on live TV.

R.I.P.

Easily one of the funniest, spontaneous moments in television history topped off by Carson's quick quip. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: colbert17
I saw that on Carson's Tonight Show and fell off the couch laughing. As said above a classic moment in tv.

He became life long friends with Fess. He was a regular in the Thursday night performances Fess held at his hotel in Los Olivos.

Remember that this was a time when shows with married couples always showed twin beds.
Couldn't even hint that Lucy and Dezi, or Rob and Laura Petrie...etc... ever shared a bed.
And Elvis shaking his pelvis had his shows cancelled for being lewd.

Last edited:
As a follow up, I was reading a belated obit of him and he really led an incredible life. Had a very successful music career as part of his vocal group with his brothers which rock and roll torpedoed. Then pursued acting and singing on stage and movies. Almost lost his house before he landed his first part.

Why did you expect less? He started out as a singer. And back then, entertainers did some of everything.

I know they did and that's a reason I didn't expect much.
I saw a lot of second string singers from back in the day
Plus a guy playing an Indian named Mingo doesn't exactly raise expectations for singing.
Heck even Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope sang back then

Remember that this was a time when shows with married couples always showed double beds.
Couldn't even hint that Lucy and Dezi, or Rob and Laura Petrie...etc... ever shared a bed.
And Elvis shaking his pelvis had his shows cancelled for being lewd.
I think you mean twin beds.

Plus a guy playing an Indian named Mingo doesn't exactly raise expectations for singing.
Weird dude.

I can answer this one Alex, who is one of three people who have not been in my kitchen?

I guess you didn’t read too much about this which is fine. He had a very successful singing career with his brothers before acting and singing again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT