ADVERTISEMENT

OT: R.I.P. - Frank Howard

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Age 87.
Had the pleasure of meeting him several times and shared a car ride with him from Hightstown (a summer baseball camp) to Yankee Stadium one day. Really one of the nicest professional athletes I've ever met.
I'm sure that @zappaa might have some stories about him.

R.I.P. Hondo.

Last edited:
One night at Yankee Stadium,he hit 4 balls all of which went over 400 feet-and went 0 for 4.
In his day,he was larger than were most NFL linemen.

One night at Yankee Stadium,he hit 4 balls all of which went over 400 feet-and went 0 for 4.
In his day,he was larger than were most NFL linemen.
I remember the story when he almost killed Craig Swan. Swan complained about the fact that the Mets did not travel charter and starting arguing with George Bamberger, the manager at the time. Howard, a coach did not appreciate it and went after Swan.

Pretty damn good hitter. Hit a really hard ball. Didn't swing from his a-hole.

I remember the story when he almost killed Craig Swan. Swan complained about the fact that the Mets did not travel charter and starting arguing with George Bamberger, the manager at the time. Howard, a coach did not appreciate it and went after Swan.
You'll recall that Howard succeeded Bamberger as manager after the latter resigned in mid-season 1983 out of disgust. Howard served the rest of the year. His successor was a guy named Davy Johnson.

I wasn't surprised when the Dodgers traded Howard away. The team was built on pitching, speed, and defense -- Howard had none of that. And Chavez Ravine was not a hitter's park.

Reactions: RC71
Met him in Philadelphia twice. In a few off seasons back late 80s early 90s he was a "spokesman" for one of the mainstream bourbons. IIRC it was Jim Beam. He would spend an hour at sports bars in the city and move on to the next bar. Would offer to buy anyone a drink of whatever it was but held court at every place he went telling story after story. There were two men who actually worked for the wholesaler giving away key chains, shirts and paying the bar bills. They said after a week they said they never heard the same story twice 🤣
He was still a monster of a man but what I remember most he had the biggest hands I've ever seen.
Very funny guy. Captivating man. R.I.P.

Reactions: Kbee3 and MADHAT1
Age 87.
Had the pleasure of meeting him several times and shared a car ride with him from Hightstown (a summer baseball camp) to Yankee Stadium one day. Really one of the nicest professional athletes I've ever met.
I'm sure that @zappaa might have some stories about him.

R.I.P. Hondo.

You’re a deranged ghoul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT