ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Cissy Houston

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
A star herself, mother to Whitney Houston and grandmother to Bobbi Kristina Brown, both of whom predeceased her. RIP. Gary Garland, born to Cissy and her first husband, Freddie Garland, was a guard for the Denver Nuggets of the NBA.

One of Newark's finest.

200w.gif

A star herself, mother to Whitney Houston and grandmother to Bobbi Kristina Brown, both of whom predeceased her. RIP. Gary Garland, born to Cissy and her first husband, Freddie Garland, was a guard for the Denver Nuggets of the NBA.

One of Newark's finest.

I remember Gary being a great player for DePaul and making the NBA. Was there a family relationship with Dionne Warwick as well? I know that neither were recruited as TEs before anyone jumps on me.

Growing up near Chicago, Gary Garland was one of my favorites as a kid on some great DePaul teams.
Long-time Chicago announcer, Red Rousch dubbed him “the Music Man.” I think he may have sung the National Anthem a time or 2 at cozy Alumni Hall on the Lincoln Park campus.

3 of his 4 years, DePaul made sweet 16 in ‘76, Elite 8 in ‘78, Final 4 in ‘79. In fact, he had a huge shot in overtime to win at Notre Dame in ‘78 on a National Sunday game on NBC. ND would get their revenge in the Midwest Regional Championship at KU, with the help of Dave Corzine being hobbled, getting hurt Friday night vs Louisville. In ‘79, DePaul lost a heartbreaker to Larry Bird and ISU, after upsetting a talented UCLA team of David Greenwood, Kiki Vandeweghe with Mark Eaton sitting the bench.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Growing up near Chicago, Gary Garland was one of my favorites as a kid on some great DePaul teams.
Long-time Chicago announcer, Red Rousch dubbed him “the Music Man.” I think he may have sung the National Anthem a time or 2 at cozy Alumni Hall on the Lincoln Park campus.

3 of his 4 years, DePaul made sweet 16 in ‘76, Elite 8 in ‘78, Final 4 in ‘79. In fact, he had a huge shot in overtime to win at Notre Dame in ‘78 on a National Sunday game on NBC. ND would get their revenge in the Midwest Regional Championship at KU, with the help of Dave Corzine being hobbled, getting hurt Friday night vs Louisville. In ‘79, DePaul lost a heartbreaker to Larry Bird and ISU, after upsetting a talented UCLA team of David Greenwood, Kiki Vandeweghe with Mark Eaton sitting the bench.
They only lost to Bird by two and had a chance to tie it at the end if I recall correctly. People forget about that game because of Bird vs. Magic, but that was actually the more dramatic game. MSU smoked Penn in the other game. Don't get everyone around here started again about the 1979 Sweet 16!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT