ADVERTISEMENT

OT- RIP Hüsker Dü co-leader Grant Hart, 56, dies of cancer

Holy crap, for people of a certain age and time, like me in the early/mid-80s, Husker Du was one of the best bands around. Think I have their first 5 albums on vinyl. Saw them at City Gardens in 1984, iirc. Love this song and many others...

I'm about 5 years behind you, but one of the guys I rode with in the Rutgers Fire Department introduced me to them in 1986- Candy Apple Grey--yeah, long past their debut, but a solid album.

A box set is due to be out in November.

Holy crap, for people of a certain age and time, like me in the early/mid-80s, Husker Du was one of the best bands around. Think I have their first 5 albums on vinyl. Saw them at City Gardens in 1984, iirc. Love this song and many others...

Saw them there as well but don't think it was in 84. Really couldn't tell you, I'm old and the memory is going.

City Gardens. What a great dump. Spent many a night there, some good some bad. The Ramones got to be excruciating at the end there.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That bites. Loved Husker Du. Saw Bob Mould do a Q&A with a show at the Rutgers student center once.

Saw them there as well but don't think it was in 84. Really couldn't tell you, I'm old and the memory is going.

City Gardens. What a great dump. Spent many a night there, some good some bad. The Ramones got to be excruciating at the end there.

I probably went to about 10 shows there, since I spent much more time at the Melody, the Court, and Patrix and for some reason went to Asbury Park venues more than City Gardens. But I did see some really good shows there, like BAD, Hoodoo Gurus, Mighty Lemondrops, They Might Be Giants, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Overwhelming Colorfast, Ocean Blue, and a few more. Only saw the Ramones once, at Livingston Springfest in '82, I think - was a good day for them.

If you haven't read it, pick up "No slam dancing, no stage diving, no spikes," an oral history of City Gardens. It's pretty entertaining and they even have an interview with Jon Stewart, who used to tend bar there - we just thought of him as that little guy Jon, lol.

Man, that sucks. Loved these guys. They had all the raw energy, two big personalities in Bob and Grant, great songwriting, they really were the total package, although it certainly wasn't for everyone. Metal Circus was a decade ahead of its time. To Knight Shift's point these guys were the Fathers of Grunge.
My favorite song of theirs from my high school days, which I still love, and crank up once in a while when the kids aren't home:

I probably went to about 10 shows there, since I spent much more time at the Melody, the Court, and Patrix and for some reason went to Asbury Park venues more than City Gardens. But I did see some really good shows there, like BAD, Hoodoo Gurus, Mighty Lemondrops, They Might Be Giants, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Overwhelming Colorfast, Ocean Blue, and a few more. Only saw the Ramones once, at Livingston Springfest in '82, I think - was a good day for them.

If you haven't read it, pick up "No slam dancing, no stage diving, no spikes," an oral history of City Gardens. It's pretty entertaining and they even have an interview with Jon Stewart, who used to tend bar there - we just thought of him as that little guy Jon, lol.
I'm from right across the river, so I spent some time there. It's a 10 minute drive from where I grew up. I saw some good Ramones shows but they got progressively worse - I think some of it was them and some of it was me. I also saw BAD there, it was a highlight. More than just hardcore there, the Replacements, 10,000 Maniacs, REM, Sinead all played there as well as Ween (all the time), Soundgarden, Nirvana, Social D - just too many to remember. There could be 50 people there, there could be what seemed like a 1000. Good times, from what I remember (not a reference to my age, lol). I will look for the book, thanks for the tip.

I'm from right across the river, so I spent some time there. It's a 10 minute drive from where I grew up. I saw some good Ramones shows but they got progressively worse - I think some of it was them and some of it was me. I also saw BAD there, it was a highlight. More than just hardcore there, the Replacements, 10,000 Maniacs, REM, Sinead all played there as well as Ween (all the time), Soundgarden, Nirvana, Social D - just too many to remember. There could be 50 people there, there could be what seemed like a 1000. Good times, from what I remember (not a reference to my age, lol). I will look for the book, thanks for the tip.
Never saw the Ramones, and had one chance around 1989 at City Gardens, but I remember it was raining and the line was pretty long, and my date (now my wife) was not up for it so we bailed. I think my lone City Gardens show was Rollins Band.

There's documentary out on City Gardens as well and Stewart appears in the documentary. I went to a Q&A with the director in Morristown about 2 years when it was first released, don't recall the name of it though. Very interesting, saw Fishbone and the Alarm there, just to name a few.

RIP. One of my favorite bands. I saw them a bunch of times (locally at the Ritz) in the mid-80's. We used to see the Ramones there all the time.

I saw Grant Hart play at the Court Tavern in 2001. It was just him and his guitar. It was great. To say the place was half-full would be generous. I felt blessed to have been there.
Those who are the most influential are often not the most popular.

Husker Du played the Livingston Gym in 1987. The band broke up shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
Fats Domino Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard are alive and these guys are dying. The vagaries of life and death. Husker du and music of their ilk from both sides of the Atlantic from '79 through '84 was genius.

Bob Mould has made some amazing solo records lately. He's one of my favorite current artists. I just need to see him live one day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT