ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Honors College

Bleed_Scarlet

Senior
Dec 30, 2008
Hello all

I posted a month ago or so about my son being accepted into Rutgers. Yesterday he found out he was chosen for the Honors College.

I’m afraid I’m not too familiar with the Honors College (I’m just a dummy who got my MBA at Rutgers). I did some reading online, but I’d really love to get some information from people here who have experience with the Honors College.

Would anyone please be able to give me some thoughts on the Honors College?

Hello all

I posted a month ago or so about my son being accepted into Rutgers. Yesterday he found out he was chosen for the Honors College.

I’m afraid I’m not too familiar with the Honors College (I’m just a dummy who got my MBA at Rutgers). I did some reading online, but I’d really love to get some information from people here who have experience with the Honors College.

Your post title says "Honors Program" but you ask about the "Honors College." Congratulations, as getting accepted to the Honors College or the Honors Program is something to be proud of.

My oldest was accepted and enrolled in the Honors College, and the experience was fantastic. However, that experience was undercut by being sent home early in the Spring semester in March of 2020, and not being on campus at all for sophomore year.

The Honors College dorm is superb. Beautiful building and layout, and lots of great study spaces.

Your post title says "Honors Program" but you ask about the "Honors College." Congratulations, as getting accepted to the Honors College or the Honors Program is something to be proud of.

My oldest was accepted and enrolled in the Honors College, and the experience was fantastic. However, that experience was undercut by being sent home early in the Spring semester in March of 2020, and not being on campus at all for sophomore year.

The Honors College dorm is superb. Beautiful building and layout, and lots of great study spaces.

It’s the Honors College - I didn’t realize there was a difference.. apologies

Thanks for the feedback

What was special about the experience as opposed to the normal Rutgers experience?

It’s the Honors College - I didn’t realize there was a difference.. apologies

Thanks for the feedback

What was special about the experience as opposed to the normal Rutgers experience?
The bringing together students from across the liberal arts and professional schools to live and work together. The Honors College requires all of its first year students to live in the Honors College living-learning community as part of its mission of creating an interdisciplinary experience for high-achieving students across academic fields.

That is one of the main components. However, this was greatly muted/diminished when the College sent all of the students home.

In addition, there is the Honors College curriculum, including coursework, a capstone project, and service requirements, in addition to meeting the departmental degree requirements.

They also get dedicated academic advisors, access to tutoring, dedicated extra- and co-curricular programs, honors housing opportunities beyond the first year, special internships and research opportunities, and specific funding for study abroad.

This is straight from the Honors College page:

requirements for members include:

• The Honors College Forum—an interdisciplinary, hands-on exploration of major technological, cultural, political, and social issues in our world, featuring small student teams learning about cultural diversity and working together to propose innovative solutions addressing global health, sustainability, conflict, environmental problems, technological and political disparities, and more.
  • A Byrne First Year Seminar—a one-credit exposure to the excitement of original ideas as faculty members share their curiosity, their intellectual passions, and how they develop new ideas and fields of knowledge.
  • Interdisciplinary Honors Seminars—the classic scholarly format: work intensively in small classes with faculty on research topics from climate change to the role of play in different species, and from definitions of good and evil to mapping the brain.
  • Departmental Honors Courses—honors sections of traditional and special departmental honors classes that can fulfill school or major requirements, and provide a smaller, more hands-on experience than the traditional, non-honors sections of these courses.
  • Service Learning—a total of 30 hours of approved service in the first three years as part of the Honors College mission to develop service-minded “innovation citizens.”
  • Capstone Project—the culmination of the four year experience, an original, sustained project under the supervision of a faculty advisor, complete with funding for research, that can range from the traditional honors thesis to performances, and from prototype design to professional work in the field.

Hello all

Reactions: Bleed_Scarlet

Our older son is a freshman in the honors college, and he is in the school of business. He has enjoyed the experience. All the advice above is accurate. You should definitely go on the tour when they schedule them sometime in the next few weeks.

Our older son is a freshman in the honors college, and he is in the school of business. He has enjoyed the experience. All the advice above is accurate. You should definitely go on the tour when they schedule them sometime in the next few weeks.
My son was accepted into Honors College for Engineering. I have been looking around for tour/open house info and haven't seen any. He is going to the Engineering Open House on March 24th, but will there be separate Honors College open houses?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
My step-daughter is in the Honor’s College in her 2nd semester. She LOVES it! She really appreciates the professors and her classes. Definitely go on the tour. It sells itself.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
My step-daughter is in the Honor’s College in her 2nd semester. She LOVES it! She really appreciates the professors and her classes. Definitely go on the tour. It sells itself.
My daughter is there also, same class.

Every parent I know of with a kid in the Honors College says wonderful things about it. So do the kids.
This is really great to hear. We never had anything like this when I was there and it’s awesome to see new generations be able to benefit from this. It’s also pretty cool to hear the alma mater on the clock tower when I drive home. 😁

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT